PDA

View Full Version : Seeding with a spreader....

Expert Lawns
06-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Can you overseed with a broadcast spreader? And how long should you wait to mow after overseeding? Any other tips are appreciated.

Here's the scenario: I have a guy who doesn't want to pay for dethaching, so I told him we could hand rake it. (saves him a few buck because i don't have to rent one), then he wants it overseeded. Almost the whole lawn will be spotty due to the dethatching. Should I seed the whole lawn? It would be pretty hard to just hit the spots that need it. Thanks

kickin sum grass
06-11-2003, 08:52 PM
You want to hand rake it and charge less. Uhhh, Charge more and make the detactching machine look like a deal. It will save you tons of time and pain. and yes if it is spotty and will be hard to do just the spots than it will be better to do the entire thing. A slit seeder will work best but if you can at least get down to the soil than you could get some results just broadcasting, although some soil prep is recommended for best seed to soil contact. All this also depends on the size of the lawn. a 2000 could be done by hand but over that and it is a lot of work.

Expert Lawns
06-11-2003, 09:22 PM
The whole lawn doesn't need dethatching, just certain problem areas. Hand raking won't take too long. When you say soil prep, do you mean simply putting down top soil, then seeding?

Runner
06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
No need for topsoil, and if you are just going to throw seed down, save your time and save his money, because both will be wasted in this process. First of all, how much area do you have to do? Second of all, is it completely bare? Has their been a pre-M put down? What ever happened to the reno job you were going to perform for your girlfriend's parents? How did that turn out? If you want to know how to do this successfully, let me know, and I think I can help you out. ;)

mtdman
06-11-2003, 11:18 PM
You are going to charge LESS to hand rake it???? What? You charge more to hand rake (which I don't even do anymore) and make the dethatching sell!

I always try to sell an overseeding with a dethatching. That's the best time to seed the lawn. And I use a broadcast spreader, of course. Make sure you impress upon the customer the importance of watering regularly after the seeding. And a little starter fertilizer wouldn't hurt the process, either!

It's best to get at least a week of germination time for the seed after you put it down, if possible.

:D

Expert Lawns
06-11-2003, 11:18 PM
The yard isn't too big. Small residential, no trees. A few weeks ago, i raked up a small area to see what it would look like, and when i went back today, the grass was growing great where i pulled up the thatch, but you can still tell there are bad spots, where there must not be seed. I'm thinking that i will seed the whole thing, he doesn't have lush grass at all, it's very spotty and sorta dingy looking.

Runner: my girlfriends parents are going to hold off on the reno job for now. their lawn is just HUGE and dont' want to mess with it right now. we fertilized it and put down some dandilion killer and it looks MUCH better. the thatch was light, after a few mowings, most of it was pulled up. kinda weird, it was real light in some spots, but the heavy spots definetly need some attention.