PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Tank...good mower or just name?

cozz
06-11-2003, 09:56 PM
I've been looking at the 48" Tank. I don't really care about Honda vs. Kaw, but I do care if this is a quality mower. I don't see much talk about them on here. That could be good or bad. I'm just looking for your 2 cents worth.

mtdman
06-11-2003, 10:58 PM
I don't know about the tank. Looks pretty enough, all black and yellow. I have 2 cub cadet walk behind mowers that were made in the late 90s. They have direct effect controls, which means you push the bar forward, it goes forward, pull it back it goes back. Sweet lawnmowers, easy to use. Unfortunately they stopped making them a few years ago and went to the lame as pistol grips every other manufacturer has. Boooo. Reason was they left turf marks when they do zero turns. Whateva. Those old walk behinds are great, still running, excellent mowers. Cub cadet and MTD can definitely make good equipment, but I think they've concentrated on homeowner stuff too much in the last few years.

Just my 2 cents.

:D

wriken
06-12-2003, 12:32 AM
I have a couple of the tanks, a 60' and a 72", also have a mtd 48" w/b, have had no problems. 60" has kaw, 72" has generac power.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Nice mowers.

plowboy81
06-12-2003, 12:43 AM
I demoed one two weeks ago. Nice mower but I didn't like the way it handled or operated. I don't think that Cub Cadet has worked out as many flaws with their ztr as the rest of the companies. Not that their are any flaws, but it just isn't for me. Just my .02

Awilkinson
06-12-2003, 03:03 AM
I also have the 72 and the 60! They can't be touched! Highest blade tip speed, standard striping rollers, awsome power, great speed. on draw back, the 72 is a bit narrow and will scalp on sharp turns.
my .02:D

mtdman
06-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Anyone wanna offer some prices on those mowers? What are they going for new?

hubb
06-12-2003, 04:07 AM
I can't tell how they are cause I've never been on one. But I do know this, they are made by MTD which also makes lesco's mowers. Now if you have to have black and yellow thats OK but I think when they come in green, you might just save a few bucks;)

just a thought

Awilkinson
06-12-2003, 05:05 AM
I got my 72 for 7000.00. the reason for the low price was that when they ship to the dealer, they are put in plastic bags, and then crated. some how this one got water in the bag and sat in a truck for three weeks. it had surface ruts on it and cub did not want my dealer to send it back so they gave him a big discount if he would keep it and sell it. he in turn gave me the great deal. it retails for 8999, my dealer is selling them for 8499. the 60 retails for around 7500, my dealer is selling them for 7200. the 48 retails for about 6900, my guy is selling for 6000. hope this helps.

wriken
06-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Awilkinson
I got my 72 for 7000.00. the reason for the low price was that when they ship to the dealer, they are put in plastic bags, and then crated. some how this one got water in the bag and sat in a truck for three weeks. it had surface ruts on it and cub did not want my dealer to send it back so they gave him a big discount if he would keep it and sell it. he in turn gave me the great deal. it retails for 8999, my dealer is selling them for 8499. the 60 retails for around 7500, my dealer is selling them for 7200. the 48 retails for about 6900, my guy is selling for 6000. hope this helps.

me to on the 72", got it for 7000.00, still got the 3 yr warrenty etc, I was waiting for the 60" kaw w/donaldson filter, when dealer said he would sell the 72 for the same price as what I paid for the 60 2 years earlier, could'nt resist best thing I've did in a while is to go with the bigger mower. The surface rust which is very little, will not hurt the mower what so ever, I was actually shocked when he should me and told me that was the reason for letting it go so cheap. here is the big 72"

sjz60
06-14-2003, 02:24 AM
3 neighbors have tanks...all paid around $5500+tax for the M48/19kaw.

The newest one of the bunch just lost an idler pulley bushing with 13 hours on the clock.

The other two have been fine, but they both have less than 40 hours on them.

wriken
06-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Awilkinson
I also have the 72 and the 60! They can't be touched! Highest blade tip speed, standard striping rollers, awsome power, great speed. on draw back, the 72 is a bit narrow and will scalp on sharp turns.
my .02:D

whats scalping on the turns?. is it the rollers?. Lock your front axle in, I put bolts and pins thru all the holes to lock it, I believe the outmost locking holes will tighten it up even more then the inner holes, mine does'nt scalp any worse than the 60", if they do at all. Before I bought it I was worried about it, but found out quickly that it did'nt scalp. try this might help, also on the 60" but not the 72", my front outer rollers on the deck would dig in, esepically on un-even ground, I raised the rollers up 1 notch. another tip, when I ran the 60" alot, I would be in the habit, of while turning, I would push on the standard foot-assist to raise it alittle.;)

wissel_landscaping
06-14-2003, 11:22 AM
I just picked one up yesterday model m48-hn
54" deck 20hp honda, dual 7 1/2 gallon tanks. i have only cut my house with it (5 acers)) so far i like it, i like it alot better than my tiger cub.

wriken
06-14-2003, 05:34 PM
how do you like the honda, know its early, but lots of power? My dealer has the exact same one just got it in.

wissel_landscaping
06-15-2003, 01:44 PM
the power and speed are right up there with the others i thoght it would be alot differant seeing its 4hp less than the kawasaki. the kawasaki is a good motor but i have a little honda harmony tractor i have never changed the oil in it for the past seven years, never a new spark plug, never greased it and i have never had 1 single problem with it so i said i'm going with the honda plus they only offer the 7 1/2 gallon tanks with the honda motor.

I forgot about this thread i started another 1 about the tank.:D

what is your dealer asking for it? i paid cash for mine got it for $6,800 out the door.