PDA

View Full Version : Safety first

mtdman
06-11-2003, 10:27 PM
So I pulled up to mow a customer today, and as I was unloading the fellow comes out to talk to me. He was telling me about another crew who was in the neighborhood the day before, from a rather large company here in town. One of the guys on the crew was weedwacking, without safety glasses, and had something thrown into his eyes. The customer was telling me the dude was screaming and running around with his hand over one of his eyes, blood pouring outta it. Had to call an ambulance, the whole shebang. My customer wanted to check with me to make sure I was wearing safety equipment.

I always wear safety glasses, and hearing protectors. I see crews with guys weed wacking with no eye protection, and it drives me nuts. My glasses at the end of the year have marks all over them from stuff hitting them, instead of my eyes. Same thing with hearing protectors. My equipment is loud, at the end of the day I wouldn't be able to hear without the protection. I don't get it how some people can go without. Yeah, wearing that stuff gets hot sometimes, but I'd rather be hot with eyesight and hearing than hot, deaf and blind.

And that's a lesson to the new guys as well. Get safety equipment! And make sure the glasses are shatter resistant.

:D

BSDeality
06-11-2003, 10:41 PM
agreed, i never used to use hearing protection or eye protection since i have a pretty light load. last year i took a rock or something in teh eye while weed wacking. my eye was red for a couple days, needless to say i wear safety sun glasses now. Next came the hearing protection, i took it one step farther and bought a little $5 fm radio @ a pharmacy and gutted the earphones. i put the speakers inside my hearing protectors, now i sign along to the radio all day :)

DLCS
06-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Huh, what did you say? :p

My safety glasses are all ding and scratched up already. I just can't imagine not wearing safety glasses while trimming, I know right away when I forget to put them on, just feels kinda strange without them.

fivestarlawnken
06-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Its amazing how little people care about there personal safety.In my little area I would say 50% or more dont use eye and ear protection at all.I need to get a picture of one guy who weedeats with no glasses at all!!!!!!The bad thing is he alreday has a patch over one eye. I will never understand:confused: I carry a small bag in my truck under my seat of diff items.The sad thing is this stuff is cheap to buy..:dizzy:

mtdman
06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Next question is, who keeps a first aid kit? I have a tupperware box full of bandages and meds I have cobbled together that I keep under my seat. Mostly, I hope not to use it, but one time my old partner burned his hand bad and it came in handy.

lawncare3
06-11-2003, 11:33 PM
I ALWAYS wear hearing protection. I don't wear eye protection because the hearing protection won't fit snugly and that has no point. Can any of you tell me how to wear the safety glasses with peltors on?

:confused:

fblandscape
06-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Why not just use the ear plugs and a pair of safety glasses? I find that plugs give a LOT better hearing protection that the muffs. Put the two together and you can barely hear anything :)

fivestarlawnken
06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
first aid kit,clean towels,bottles peroxide-rubbing alcohol,bandages,duct tape,elec tape also.(you never know) :blush:

mtdman
06-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by fblandscape
Why not just use the ear plugs and a pair of safety glasses? I find that plugs give a LOT better hearing protection that the muffs. Put the two together and you can barely hear anything :)

I use both plugs and protectors when I'm doing leaves. During the season blowing just gets protectors.

I have a pair of protective sunglasses I use, Stihl brand I think. They fit on nicely with the hearing protectors, also Stihl brand, no problem.

My wife makes fun of me because I have a 'racoon' tan line around my eyes and two white ears because I wear the glasses and ear protectors all the time. :D

Duncan Lawn Care
06-11-2003, 11:52 PM
lawncare3

If I was going to lose one,I would rather lose my hearing than eyesight any day. How you going to mow without seeing? Earplugs and safety glasses is the way to go.

Darwin
06-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Speaking of safety .............

How many of you are required to have a safety program for you commercial customers.

I have to, just curious about you folks.

fivestarlawnken
06-12-2003, 12:04 AM
With all my customers and commercials in the beginning of the season I always tell them I'am safety concerned.Safety glasses,ear and steel toe are always worn no matter what.I also go over the residentials cust about when I show up to get any kids and fido in the house for "everyones safety". I explain this is a mower that can shoot items very far and injure without warning.I do carry ins. but I don't want to see anyone hurt esp a little child.:angel:

stevo22
06-12-2003, 12:30 AM
last yr i tried to wear glasses as much as as i could...i sweat like a ***** on nickel night and it would really distort my vision while i was trying to edge..now i have just learned to accept it and deal with it..i have had some close calls in the past when i did not have them on..i wear the foam plugs..

NYRookie
06-12-2003, 09:42 PM
I always wear ear plugs and safety glasses. I have sunglasses for the day and a clear pair for evening or overcast days. My wife also laughs at my raccoon tan. I have had stuff hit my eye even with glasses on, can't imagine not wearing them. I don't touch my chainsaw without my helmet and chaps either. 2 friends that help me had their safety equipment on from the first day they helped even before I asked them. 1 is a motorcycle mechanic and the other works in industrial maintenance like myself. We were taught to wear it or look for another job. If you guys that don't wear safety equipment saw some of the accident videos I have seen, you would think twice about them being uncomfortable.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-12-2003, 09:58 PM
I hear you with that problem... This is what I did to resolve it.....

Get safety glasses with adjustable temples and ratchet them all the way up so they hook over the top of the muffs.. Problem solved or wear ear plugs.. I use both , I rotate them cause the ear plugs hurt my ears after a while, I wear both ear plugs and muffs doing cleanups cause the push blowers go right threw me and it s uncomfortable for me... first aid kit in truck and trailer, fire extingusers by both door s on truck and both ramp door and side door on trailer, also on push blower during cleanups.. ( had blower go up one year in flames doing fall cleanup. ) hard hats for doing construction and tree work.... Goggles for ugly stuff, boxes of nitrle gloves for chemical apps.. Spill kit, safety gas cans for both gasoline and mixed fuel.... uhhhh traffic barrel with led light, orange cones, barricade with reflective sign " caution work ahead " ( would you belive someone actually drove into the sign throughing it onto the clients lawn.. ) , Strobe on riding mower, blah blah blah blah blah............ The most improtant piece of equipment you own is YOU.. Take care of it... People are very distracted while driving so thats safety to think of too..

Auroris
06-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by fblandscape

Or leave them off and you'll barely hear anything anyways in a few years! :D

Truly though, I am a pilot and my hearing is #1. -33dB hearing protection WHENEVER an engine is running, and ALWAYS wear eye protection trimming, etc.

I go through a ocuple of pairs of AOS glasses every couple of months.

Navig8r
06-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Always eye protection...... medical problems took one from me 3 years ago..... gotta protect the other one!
Wanna see/hear of the trauma of losing an eye.. go to www.losteye.com, and check out some of the stories.... really think about it...... whenever someone who knows of my situation throws something to me without warning (keys, a beer, whatever), I always tell them to cover one eye and I throw it back!..... try it.... then think about re-adjusting everything you do in life because you didn't want to sweat a little more on a day that it was already hot as H#!!.

I have a friend who doesn't wear hearing protection... oh well, he's a big boy and if he wants to be deaf later in life.... his problem.... but he ALWAYS wears glasses while working with me... no exception......... we've discussed it.. he said "What?"

mottster
06-12-2003, 10:52 PM
At work we wear hats to keep glare down so we don't run into things (even thought the hat makes me run into low branches all the time now) and we wear tinted safety glasses while edging and we have big yellow ear muffs thingies...they have a built in radio so i jam to the radio while working..lets time go by a lot faster and i do a better job cuz i'm working to a rythim.

if there's a day where i'm do trimming all day i always wear jeans...if just a little i'll wear shorts.

Lawn Tek
06-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
I ALWAYS wear hearing protection. I don't wear eye protection because the hearing protection won't fit snugly and that has no point. Can any of you tell me how to wear the safety glasses with peltors on?

:confused:

Wear peltors and saftey glasses ever day, whats the problem ?
You could tilt the glasses up if it hurts your ears
Sorry guys but anyone not wearing saftey glasses is an idiot .

SpudsM15
06-12-2003, 11:35 PM
I used to use ear muffs but they are kinda hot in the summer months also i broke 3 pairs last season. @ 14 a pair they stink.

So I switched over to foam plugs work great very cheap. Doesn't make you any warmer.
i don't always wear my saftey glasses while i'm behind the mower but the other day i was,luckly, my bro was trimming and a big wood chip nailed me right in the middle of the glasses scared the **** outta me..:eek: