PDA

View Full Version : Blades Sharpen Myself Or Not???

Frosty_03
06-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Just want to get some advice here. I have my blades sharpen by an lawnshop I get a good deal for a set of three, the guy charges me 1 dollar per blade. I was thinking about buying a balde sharpener and do them myself. What do you all think? I usually spend 21 dollars per week total of seven sets. What is a good brand of blade sharpener or should I just use a 4" grinding wheel. I like using this guy cause he does good and fast work. Thanks in advance.:cool: :blob2: My old man use a rasp or file and a nail in the wall and he use to get a nice sharp balance blade.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 12:14 AM
I bought a bench grinder a long time ago and do all my own blades. Much easier, especially since I go through blades faster than my equipment shop can sharpen them. My grinder only cost mabye $60. Thinking about buying a blade sharpener.

:D

lawncare3
06-12-2003, 12:25 AM
I just use a bench grinder because I can't afford a grinder.

Duncan Lawn Care
06-12-2003, 12:44 AM
1$ a blade? Wow!!!!!! Wish he lived here. You would probably spend about .40 cents a blade doing it yourself and replacing grinding wheels. Shops charge $5-$6 per blade here. I bought the Magna-Matic and I'm going to start sharpening other peoples blades for $3-$4 each. Going to try and make enough money to pay for the Magna-Matic and then do some advertising this winter and early next year to sharpen peoples blades and try and make some money in the off season.

reelgrass92
06-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Doesn't take me but about 1 minute to sharpen a blade. I put my blade in a vise. I use a grinder, much more control than using a wheel. Doesn't take as long either.

Maybe I could think about a proffesion in sharpening blades at 3-4 bucks a blade, hehe.:D

Frosty_03
06-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Yea I am thinking about it, buying a sharpener, but I think I will stick with the lawn shop for know. I look at the magna and I think it was around 999.99 I guess if I bought it it would pay for itself in the long run. I figure about a year it should pay for itself. Well thank's guys once again some sound advice from tru professionals. :cool:

Runner
06-12-2003, 04:00 AM
Well, if it's costing you 21 bucks a wek, times 30 weeks, that's $630. Two seasons, it would be paid for. Sure, you have power to run it, and stone wear, but I can't see .40 cents worth. Consider this to counter it, also.... your drive time and fuel to the "mower shop" that sharpens them. That should be a major consideration. A buck a blade IS a good price, though.

Hawkeye5
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Yeah, for a buck a blade I might let them continue. Shops here charge $5 per mulching blade and use an angle grinder. So much for that! I can use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and do as good a job. It just takes a little practice and you can turn them out in two or three minutes per blade, and you can buy top of the line angle grinders for less than $100.

lasher66
06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
What is the best blade sharpener I can buy that isnt too expensive? I already have a bench grinder , but I was thinking about purchasing a blade sharpener that does more of a perfect edge. I can get kind of sloppy on my bench grinder sometimes. Thanks

Lasher66

Frosty_03
06-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Runner and Hawkeye5 I think I will buy the Magna 1000 and your right runner about the drive time and all but it is on my way to my accounts so I don't mind and it give me time to stop and shoot the bull with the old guy. How do you guys make sure your blades are balance.:cool:

EJK2352
06-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Magna-Matic balancer is what I have.

Frosty_03
06-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks I was leaning towards that. I think I will invest in it get a true balance blade. :cool:

mottster
06-13-2003, 12:01 AM
bench grinders are easy to use...just put the lil support thing at a 45 degree angle to the stone and you just rest the blade on there and run it back and forth.

Auroris
06-13-2003, 12:25 AM
I use a bench grinder... and not an expensive one, either. I spent a small sum on eBay and that will get me by until I can afford a blade sharpener.

Even if your lawn shop is charging $1 per blade, now you have to take them over there and pay someone else to do it. At that rate you could get a cheap grinder in a very few weeks.

It's a piece of cake to do my own, because I can sharpen all of my blades and have a new set on each machine in 20-30 minutes in the evening.