PDA

View Full Version : Priceing help w/Round-Up bid

brian mon
06-12-2003, 12:35 AM
I was asked to give price on maintaining a large area w/Round-Up. And I have no clue as to how to bid this??? Itís an old manufacturing plant, all gravel lots (outside storage, parking, etc) itís been closed since last year, and not maintained all season this year. It measures out to 106,542 sq. ft., but not all are covered w/weeds.

Iíll have use of a 100 gal. spray tank so that will help a lot!!

Should I try to estimate time and Round-up needed and give a minimum to maximum price per application?

All areas are easily accessed with 200ft of spray hose, some snaking around between buildings but not too badÖ

They want the property maintained all season, itís for sale, so it seems like it could be nice $$$

Also should I, or can I use a colorant when sprayed, just to help see where Iíve sprayed. Whatís the cost for colorants?? Or just wait a week and spray what I missed??

Oh yeaÖdo you need to post area when sprayed, w/signs??

Thanks

Darwin
06-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Are you liscensed?

just curious

brian mon
06-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Yes and insured!!

Darwin
06-12-2003, 01:32 AM
if you are liscensed then base your rates on you sq. ft. ................. much like you do your lawn apps.

Find out the exact sq. ft. you need to treat.

Factor in the difference in cost between the types of 2-4-d,fert.,pre-emergent., that you use on existing properties and relate that to a round-up app.

There are several generic round-ups out there now so you could take that into consideration.

Round-up , round-up pro, round-up Ultra max, round-up weather max, are the originals,................ I might be missing a few.

Look for a product that has glyphosate as an active ingredient.

No reason to use a colorant if you do the job all at one time.

Unless you like a colored tank.

Yes, post the property.

The bottom line is, you need to factor in a profit margin for yourself that will pay you what you think you're worth.

Mind you, this is just my opinion, good luck!

Enviro Green
06-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Just a thought,

Don't you need to have the Right of way and /or Industrial Weed Control Category on your license in order to do this?

I mean, if it were a curb in a parking lot, maybe not, but treating two acres of gravel with pesticides is different than treating lawns, the binding of the pesticide to soil (or gravel) is different, as are run off issues, etc.

Just a thought.

But, I would do it and just price it at the cost of the roundup per ounce times about 1.5 to 2 and then figure your time to spray 100,000 K and figure at making at least 40-50 per hour. Or, just price it a bit below a lawn app. That's more likely what I would do if presented with the job, just to avoid using time thinking....

Gets you in the ballpark.

EG

williamslawn
06-12-2003, 10:04 PM
$1598.13 to do the entire job for one year. .015/sq ft. is my factor for Bare Ground work.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Enviro Green
Don't you need to have the Right of way and /or Industrial Weed Control Category on your license in order to do this?
Not in Missouri, "right of way" is for train tracks, side of roads etc... a gravel parking lot is not a "right of way".

I charge $25 a gallon, you can go to HD and get 1 gal of Round up for $17 so that's how I arrived at my price.

Although when the quantity goes up like say spraying 20 gallons I will drop my price some accordingly.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Darwin
post the property.Does the label say to post it?

Missouri says to fallow the regulations on sign postings by the label of the product.

Also there are many generic brands out now, just have to find them all of which are now half the price of round up.

Darwin
06-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Lgf ......... I said post the property because It can cover your butt.

Pre-caution my friend.

I also posted bout generics.

If you are serious about your price per gallon then you are a Godfather.

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Got some Honcho Plus. 41% Glyphosate and same surfactant package as Roundup Pro and only $63 for 2.5 gal. Honcho Plus is Monsanto's generic label Roundup. Honcho's label covers both Ag. and Turf/Ornamental applications.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 01:31 AM
I still have a large drum of round-up.

Look at this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44221&highlight=roundup

brian mon
06-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks all for the responses

Williams & LGF thats what I was looking for I guess.....a per gallon price to spray "Round-Up"

As for posting property most is fenced in.......and in SD there pretty lacks about that sort of thing.....but never hurts to CYA!

I do Know about paying for the "Round-UP" name Glyphosate comes in many brands, but a national bank owns the prop. and asked for it, so if I can get a little Round-Up out of the deal that will help to.

The biggest problem I see is the whole area is gravel.....and it may not have weeds now, but it will by the end of the season!! Thats why a per gallon price....or a sq. ft. price helps. Thats what I was looking for I guess, then factor in est. time.

thanks again!!

windmill
06-18-2003, 08:20 PM
brian mon, We do a lot of work for BC Hydro, a public utility here in BC. We post every job because of union factors and the rights of people entering the property to know what was done and when. If there is no chance of public access I probably wouldn't bother. It's when its not posted and people find out that you have treated it that they ask themselves why it wasn't posted. "Did they not post it because they were trying to hide something?"
We also use dye (Bullseye) to identify the treated areas. On the one hand the dye saves money because nothing is treated twice. It also allows you to know where to start after you refill your tan. I have a gray hair factor and I often think, "Where did I leave off when I went to refill my tank?."
Anyone accessing the property can avoid the blue areas if they are concerned. Owners can see that the work was done.
You can tell the concerned environmentalist that you are hydro seeding :D (just kidding).
You will probably not find a cost saving on such a small area because the saved chemical (no overlap) will be taken up by the dye cost.