PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Blowers

muybiencortar
06-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Anyone else had a blower stolen recently? I have been in business for many years and never had anything stolen. Over the past 12 days, three backpack blowers have grown legs!

Keith
06-12-2003, 01:45 AM
Back in 1993, I bought my first backpack, a Stihl BR320. It got stolen about a month after I got it :( I went back to the handhelds until I could get a more money together. I ended up financing a Scag and threw a new BR400, Echo SRM2400, and Stihl edger in with the deal. All three got stolen within 36 hours :eek: :mad: :mad: I was so mad, at myself mainly. But damn, you steal a man's tv, he has to do without entertainment, you steal his equipment and you take his livelyhood :mad: A-holes! :angry:

There was a big ring of this going around back then and probably still is. There was one guy that was behind it all and he would send kids out to do it. The police knew all about it but said they could never pin it on him. I actually never turned in a claim on those three pieces. I figured the company that had them insured would never believe it happened twice and especially 36 hours after it was bought...so I just ate it.

I had about $3000-4000 worth of stuff stolen in about 2 years. Then I got dogs! :cool:

STAN1366
06-12-2003, 01:48 AM
Guess I've been lucky. Never had anything stolen, but I came close once. Hot summer night and I had just gotten into bed around 1am. Windows open and it's quiet outside. At the time we lived on a gravel road. I heard someone walking down the road and then the footsteps stopped. I got up and looked out the window and saw just the light of 2 cigarettes. I figured they were just talking till I see one of them walk in my driveway towards my truck. Well, down the stairs I go and out the door and across the lawn I run and these 2 High tail it out the driveway and up the street. I damn near caught the sum-bitches......but ya' can't run too fast on gravel barefoot and wearing only my BVD'd!!!! Never had a problem after that. I know all the kids in the neighborhood so I feel safe. I also did install a motion detector and spot lights over the truck & trailer.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:49 AM
From where was the equipment stolen? I always worry when I make a stop at a store, gas station, food place that someone will swipe something. My stuff gets locked up tight at night, no worries there.

fblandscape
06-12-2003, 02:54 AM
It doesn't bother me as much about stealing mowers and blowers and stuff as much as it bothers me that people would go around and steal full size backhoes and excavators and what not. I used to work with an excavator sometimes and he would always insist that all the equipment be locked up before we left the site due to people coming at night with big trucks, loading up the equipment and hauling it off to third world countries. Not too good when you are talking about a 50,000+ $ piece of iron :angry:

Brendan
06-12-2003, 03:00 AM
I' m real sorry for you, it feels like you have been kicked in the backside.

About 2 years ago I had my work van stolen form my driveway at home. Normally I'd lock it in the garage at night but this one night I left it locked in my driveway, next morning it was gone.

The van was set up for garden and small lawn maintenance; 21" mower, brushcutters, blowers, hedge trimmers, chainsaw, hand tools, spray tanks, chemicals, repair tools etc. The equipment was worth $8500 and the van $10,000. The insurance paid for it but there was tools which I would occasionally use which I forgot to put in the insurance claim. It took about 8 months to get the new vehicle back to the same order as the old van.

Now I try to keep all my equipment as secure as possible.

Brendan.

Scag48
06-12-2003, 10:32 AM
I lock up all my equipment, if it's not in use, it's on the racks locked up. Although I live in a relatively small town, the event of a theft is quite high, so I just lock them up. Here's an idea, have a dog in the back of your truck, big 'ol pitbull. That'll make 'em think twice :D

lawnMaster5000
06-13-2003, 04:26 PM
I am a friend of muybiencortar so I have heard this whole story already.

About two weeks ago he went into the shop where we buy all our equipment. Comes back out and a blower is gone off the back of his truck. One of the workers saw some crappy car come and grab the blower then take off. The cops find the guy from a partial plate identification but there was no blower to be found.

Since MBC was missing a blower and my brother was working for him i said that he could borrow my year old EB7000. While they were in the middle of mowing two lawns (3 workers) someone stole two blowers from the back of his truck. One was mine the other was his spare. No one knows where they went but my brother claims he saw an unusually crappy car drive down the street but didn't think anything of it. The street is a small drive with only four houses off a slightly more busy street.

laserman
06-13-2003, 04:58 PM
:angry: I've had the same thing happen while I was working.
Someone took a blower out of the back of my truck while we were mowing. ********!!!!!

awm
06-13-2003, 05:15 PM
my saws are stihl,totally locked up . i decided stihl, husq or any other expensive units are just to hard for our poor local thieves to resist.
aint had a craftsman or ryobi stolen since. they really busted up my game once when everthing was stihl.

cos
06-13-2003, 05:22 PM
I now have no excuse for locking up trimmers and blowers. I installed a gear caddy and it really helps.

Ajays
06-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I keep all my stuff in storage but still worry while eating lunch and what not. I try to park my rig so I can watch it at all times.

Haley Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Ive been in business around 7 years. Never had anything stolen from my trailer. Everything is locked up or chained down. But last Sunday someone broke into my storage unit and carried off all my handheld equipment. 2-backpack blowers 2-weedaeters 1-edger 1-set of hedge trimmers and my new air compressor. About $1800.00 worth. They didn't even touch a set of hand wrenches laying on the table right beside the weedeaters. And 2 safety gas cans worth $60.00. I just hope the cops find it at the pawn shops.

David:angry: :angry: :(

We do 4 U
06-14-2003, 12:36 AM
I was working trimming a back yard and came out to get the blower and it was gone. I have a trimmer trap blower holder and I now keep everything locked up. The guys at the fire station think I am paranoid because I am so anal about securing everything. I always have to park the trailer by the back door of the station and back up to the building so you can't let the tail gate down. It was a $299 dollar + tax lesson.

aleksei
06-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Try the method I use: Rig a/multiple beefy-looking locks with 3/8"x20' Kryptonite cable. Home Depot/Lowe's/lots of places online sell the cables. Try the company's 'site (http://www.kryptonite.com) if you can't find 'em locally

HashBrown007
06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I had my Stihl BR 420 stolen today, along with my echo CS 3000 chain saw and a Husq 323L.

While I was working in the backyard, for maybe 20 minutes, they lifted it from my trailer.

Crazy thing was, I was parked in right in front of my customer's house on one of the oldest, most established streets in town; the kind of street where people walk their dogs and stroll their grandchildren.

Varsity L&G
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Had a guy at the gas station the other day try to sell me a stihl blower.

He said, hey you run a lawn company, do you ned a 450$ backpack blower, I don't need it anymore.

Nobletoad
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
This has become a real problem lately. I had two weedwackers and a small trailer stolen from in front of the house last month. Naturally, the police never recover anything. I hit all the roadside tool sales hoping it would show up, but its probably been fenced through the flea market already.

zemzabob
06-11-2008, 01:00 PM
There has been a lot of theft lately on mowing trucks from the post I have seen recently.