PDA

View Full Version : Stay outta the yard!!

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:48 AM
I also go over the residentials cust about when I show up to get any kids and fido in the house for "everyones safety". I explain this is a mower that can shoot items very far and injure without warning.I do carry ins. but I don't want to see anyone hurt esp a little child.

This post brought up a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Why on Earth can't people understand to NOT walk by the yard when I'm working? People like to just walk through the middle of a yard, down the sidewalk, whatever, even though I am operating a machine with three very fast spinning blades that could kill them. They are too damned lazy to cross the street, walk around, whatever. And then they have the NERVE to give me a dirty look because my work is holding up their oh-so-important life. I swear, one time I was edging and a woman pushing a baby carriage came walking right through past me, not a care in the world. HELLO! Damned Stupid People! ARGH!!!

And don't get me started on kids coming out of the house to watch me mow. I've dropped customers in the middle of mowing their yards because they refuse to bring their kids in. Don't parents teach their kids to stay away from that stuff? The absolute worst was the time I came around the corner of a house, just finished blowing, and some woman has her kid bouncing around on my trailer next to the lawnmower I just put back with an extremely hot muffler. WHAT THE HELL! People have a lot of nerve and are just too damned stupid when it comes to safety around lawn mowers.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

fivestarlawnken
06-12-2003, 01:56 AM
It seems people just dont care and understand to think for a second. People whine about there kids are there life and you see stupid things like no seatbelts all the time.I'm not a perfect father but my kid wears her belt no matter what.Young kids really do love our mowers its kind of funny and makes the day go by sometimes.(just so they are inside):rolleyes:

STAN1366
06-12-2003, 02:37 AM
I've only got 1 account with small children. They know when I'm there it's time to go inside or up on the deck(10' off the ground). In 30 yrs, I've only broke 1 window and that's enough. I sure don't want to hit a kid or even come close.

David Haggerty
06-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Or they get fascinated by watching them run.

When someone gets into range I stop and shut off the blades.
Either they leave or I leave.

Dave

Hawkeye5
06-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Let me say that we don't have many sidewalks in my area, so people walk on the street. IF i'm trimming or mowing along the street AND I see them coming, I stop or move until they have passed. Just Monday I was trimming along a property line/ driveway and around a big bush. As I came around the bush I see a 2 year old boy coming my way down the driveway from the house. His mother was sitting on a lawn chair just outside the garage watching the little guy head right for me! I moved to another part of the yard until they had gone inside. People just don't think about the hazard.

lawnkid
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
I used to be one of those kids who would watch but from a distance. That's how I've gotten to love this line of work so much :D

Hawkeye5
06-12-2003, 12:56 PM
From a distance is fine, as long as the distance in question is safe.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye5
From a distance is fine, as long as the distance in question is safe.

I dig the kids watching, and will wave, smile, talk to them, whateva. But when they are in the yard running around the machines, or bouncing up and down on my trailer next to a hot muffler, there's a safety problem. And I am amazed at the number of parents that don't understand and don't cooperate.

As I posted in another thread, I wear hearing and eye protection all the time, and often if I'm edging or trimming and not looking up, I won't see someone. When people walk right through the middle of my work, they are taking a huge risk not only from debris but also from me. Just stay away! If it wasn't such a pain to do, I'd get cones and "men working" signs to block off the lawn!

:D

Mr_Marc
06-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Caution!
Mowing Crew Ahead
Please Stay Clear

It was in the parking lot of a WinnDixie this morning.

battags
06-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I think we have all had the same problems. One of my worst customers for kids running around learned a lesson the other day. I had to ask her three times to keep the kids out of the back yard while I was mowing. Finally she has them sit with her on the deck as they watch me mow.

Fido must of left one of his doggy tennis balls in the yard and sure enough, I hit it. A shredded chunk of yellow fuzzy rubber shot 150 ft. to my right. I turned to see the shocked expression on their face as she took the kids inside.

Before I left, I apologized about mincing the tennis ball. I pointed out that her youngest son is notorious for leaving matchbox cars in the lawn. Fortunately, I usually see those first. The thought of hurling a chunk of torn metal that distance and speed got the point across.

FrankenScagMachines
06-12-2003, 07:49 PM
If someone is walking by and not just sitting there, I stop the mower and either shut off the blades or idle down depending on the situation. I think you should be the gentleman and wait on them, they'll see the name on the truck and either remember you as courteous or rude. JMHO.

Little kids love to watch! LOL once I was mowin' last week and this mother and two little kids (boy and girl) went by holding mommy's hand and I stopped and let them pass (was done with the mower anyway) and the woman smiled in appreciation, the little boy was looking back at the "mower guy" for a half block! LOL mommy had to drag him away!

I don't stop for little doggy toy balls. My customers know the drill....