PDA

View Full Version : Going full time next year....need some advice


dave80
06-12-2003, 01:02 AM
This year I currently have 27 accounts as a part-timer. However next year I have decided to go full-time and see how things go, since I still have two years of college left if they don't work out (which I feel pretty certain that they will). I am going to add as many accounts next year as I think that I can handle, and also going to get my applicator's license and push for ferts, etc.

Now to my question:

I would not say that I was a scrub, but rather I was misinformed about how to bid a yard. I will be adjusting all of the prices on my accounts, except the few that I picked up this year because I gave a proper bid on them. I currently have a 48" Cub Cadet walkbehind, and plan on adding a 60" Lazer Z ZTR next year since I have quite a few props that are at over an acre in size. I was planning on getting one in the spring, but I would like to give the customers the new price before the season starts so that if they choose to drop service I can find someone to replace them. I have never used a Z before and have absolutely no idea how much time it will take to get the properties that it will be used on done. Here are my options:

1) Buy the mower this fall (won't be financially ready until at least then) and use it to see how long it will take, then go from there

2) Wait until spring and just tell the customer that the price is going to increase, but wait until I mow once then tell them. This also might be a better choice if they make some improvements on the 2004 models.

3) Maybe see if I can talk the dealer into giving me a demo for a few days and mow all of them now, then buy a new one in the spring

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to get some opinions on what you would do if you were in my situation.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:17 AM
I would try to demo the mower now. Or find someone who has one and try to use theirs. Don't wait until the season starts to decide your rates, and the sooner you know the better.

:D

2 man crew
06-12-2003, 01:27 AM
#3 first.

This gives you all fall, winter and spring to deal on other brands, models, and price.

If your wondering about your prices they are too low.

Brendan
06-12-2003, 03:34 AM
I'd try for the demo, the only hassle over here is that the dealer will only allow a few hours during which time they are watching you like a hawk. To make sure "that you don't damage the machine" ............as if!

If you cannot get a demo for a long period say 1 or 2 days then I'd suggest that you try and hire one so that you get use to the machine - see what it is capable of & what it is not. Check out the actual performance times against the manufacturers times (there should be some difference).

Lastly see if there is any difference in loading & unloading times.

May be try a number of different brands to see which performs the best.

Brendan.