PDA

View Full Version : need your help with plants

fblandscape
06-12-2003, 03:25 AM
I need to find some perennials which will fufill the following requirements and conditions:

1) must grow in a 10' diameter mulched circle directly underneath a weeping cherry tree

2) no taller than 2'

3) blooms in either fall or spring, or both

4) low cultural requirements

5) hardy

6) be able to withstand a school building setting

7) colorful

8) not horribly expensive

Thank you for your help. :angel:

ElephantNest
06-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Begonias

Gene $immons
06-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Begonias are an annual. lol

greenman
06-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Begonias

He wants perennials. Hmm, hardy,colorful, and shady........oh, and perennial, thats the stumper. Hostas are hardy, but not too colorful, Mums are colorful, but need to be split up every year (tend to get leggy), need to be dead headed. Ajuga? Most of your colorful perennials like sun. Dianthus will take some shade. Geranium may be a good choice, if they grow back the next year. Phlox, if you can control them.

ElephantNest
06-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Doh! Sorry, was heading out to cut so was reading fast.

~Nest << Sharp as a marble.:rolleyes:

NCSULandscaper
06-12-2003, 10:31 PM
If it is available in your area your best bet would probably be Candy Tuck.

Lanelle
06-12-2003, 10:45 PM
I agree that Candy Tuft (Iberis) would be a good choice. Also, consider Astilbe, Foamy Bells, Stello d'Oro Daylilies (minature), Obedient Plant and Geranium sang. v. 'striatum'.

Grassmechanic
06-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Astilbe, Coral bells, Daisy, Hostas, take your choice.

Mike

KerryB
06-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Caladiums, they dont bloom but will grow nicely in that shady area, they come in all different colors, no maintenance except to water and fert.

ElephantNest
06-13-2003, 11:15 AM
Caladium don't bloom? I just cut all the flowers off of mine so the leaves would continue to grow and prosper. Caladiums DO bloom, my garbage can has the proof.

UGA
06-13-2003, 04:39 PM
OK, I was about to post a new thread to ask this question but I think I will just tack it on here. I've already done a search on Dirr because I am close to purchasing his new DVD which now has pictures of all plants as well as a search engine that is supposed to answer questions just like the one being asked here. Lanelle do you or anyone else have this new DVD yet and is it as good as those from Horticopia? I am thinking most of your knowledge comes from Hort degrees and experience but the first isn't an option for me right now and I would like to accelerate the second (learning while doing) as much as possible. The NEW Dirr DVD is now available for $105.95 including shipping and since the Horticopia is so much more expensive I thought I would compare first. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

KerryB
06-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Allow me to clarify my statement.lol
Most Caladiums do produce a flower, however, this flower is not for show and should be removed as soon as you see it.
He was looking for blooming flowers, I only suggested Caladiums for their colorful leaves not their blooming capabilities.

Grassmechanic
06-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Kerry B & elephant nest - caladiums are annuals. The originator of this thread was looking for perennials, not annuals (although they are quite colorful in the shade).

Mike

KerryB
06-19-2003, 01:33 AM
Caladiums are tubers. They can be treated as annuals or they can be dug, dried and stored for replanting next year.
Or if you live in Florida do nothing.

Grassmechanic
06-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Up here in the north (where the originator of this thread lives), anything that will not make it through the winter without having to be dug up is an annual. That is why you don't find caladiums in perennial books.

Mike

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 10:54 PM
how close to the trunk is "directly under"? does it have to be a perenial? and why (if it does). a 10 inch circle is a bit tight. and im assuming since the wpg cherry is there, that exposure is mostly sun

Brendan
06-23-2003, 04:28 AM
I'm not from a cold climate so these are a bit of a guess:

Helleborous orientalis

Pieris japonica

This is really hard. What I do when having difficulties selecting plants, is to go around the neighbourhood of the job and make a list of which plants are performing the best in that area. I then make my selection from that list.

Brendan.

Georgiehopper
06-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Consider these:

Daylilly (Eenie Weenie, Stella d'ora, 'Pardon me', Black-eyed Stella
They are long bloomers, low maintenance, about 12 inches tall, and tolerate abuse.

If you get some sun under there try: Dianthus (any of the Pixie series)..very low growers and repeat bloomers, also tolerate drought and some neglect.

Kate Butler
07-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Any of he dwarf hemerocallis all work - be sure and go with rebloomers. Geranium sanguineum (fuchsia, pink, or white forms) would be fine also. Also, any of the lamiums, astilbe chinensis 'pumila' (blooms late, but attractive in leaf).

bam
07-19-2003, 11:57 PM
or try a variegated foliage plant (don't know if it would be as showy as you need), liriope or hostas.