PDA

View Full Version : Drainage problem

Barkleymut
06-12-2003, 10:23 AM
My house has standing water under the deck in the back yard. Its only an inch or two deep and only stays for a couple days after rain. But since December it has rained at least twice a week here. That means almost always we have water up against the brick and cinder block foundation which I'm sure is not good. So I dug a little trench around past the side of the house to the front yard which slopes downward. It does a great job, no more standing water. Now I have a trench right where I wanted to put a patio and I also want my very young kids to be able to play out there. So how do I fill the trench? Drainage rock? Connect PVC pipes to where I want it to drain to? Also if I use the rocks can I put soil and grass seed on top or will this just clog up the flow of H2O?

I am a total drainage rookie and would appreciate any and all suggestions.

BRL
06-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Do a search (and maybe also post this, or get a mod to move it there?) in the Landscaping Forum. We've had a few drainage discussions full of lots of good info, that will help you past the rookie stage. Can you take a picture of the area in question & post it? There are several ways to go about it, and seeing it without guessing what exactly you mean would make it easier to give the best potential solutions. Basics would be to regrade so that the soil slopes away from your foundation first off. Then if there is a low point that collects water, the water can be redirected from there, but like I said there can be 3 or more ways to do that for each situation. If you can't post a picture, maybe a little sketch of what's going on?

DKinWA
06-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Barkleymut-

You have a couple of options that you could use, but a lot depends on your actual site conditions. Your first option would be to fill in the area below your deck with soil and slope it away from your home and towards your front yard (or other appropriate place). Here in western Washington that would be my first choice, but it always rains here!

Another option would be to install a small catch basin and then run drain pipe underground from the catch basin to your front yard. When installing the catch basin you'd need to slope the ground under your deck to a common spot where the catch basin would be placed. From there, you'd need to excavate a trench that slopes at 1/8" to 1/4" per foot toward your front yard. Most hardware or home centers would have everything you need for a drainage system like this. If standing water in the catch basin would create problems like mosquito breeding habitat you might want to skip the catch basin. You could use a small yard grate (looks like a big funnel with a grate on one end and drain pipe connector on the other) and drop down directly into your drain pipe. It's difficult to tell if you need a catch basin without seeing the site, but the catch basins function is to capture debris and materials that might plug up your drain pipe and need to be cleaned out on occasion.

When installing drain pipe, you really need to follow the 1/8" to 1/4" per foot drop rule. A steeper or shallower run won't allow the water to carry solids like dirt or ??? to be carried through the pipe.

Your situation is pretty common and lots of homeowners are able to make the corrections with a few bucks in parts and a little sweat. I think the hardest part is digging the ditch. :p

NCSULandscaper
06-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Seems to me your house should have foundation drains around the foundation for that exact reason. But if not then i would trench along side the foundation and install 4" corrugated pipe with the drain slits in the top and get the cloth wrapping that goes aorund it to keep sediments out of the pipe and place next to the foundation and cover it up with gravel and then cover with topsoil.