PDA

View Full Version : Gas Can Tricks?

GeorgiaGrassMan
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Do you guys have any tricks you use to help prevent putting 2 cycle fuel in a 4 cycle machine and vise versa? I'm afraid I'm going to be in a daze some day and get them mixed up unless I have some sort of system to keep me from doing it.

Westbrooklawn
06-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Our solution has always been to use 2.5 gallon cans for mixed 2 cycle gas, and 5 gallon cans for straight gas. You associate the can size with the piece of equipment you are filling. It works for us.

Jimbo
06-12-2003, 01:27 PM
1. Can size
2. Can color (Red for regular and blue or yellow for 2-cycle).
2. A big Black Marker and write 2 cycle on the sides of the cans.

Jimbo

Nova
06-12-2003, 01:33 PM
I used black marker and put an "S" and "M" on the top of each can. "S" stands for straight gas, "M" stands for mixed gas.

Plain and simple.

mtdman
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Westbrooklawn
Our solution has always been to use 2.5 gallon cans for mixed 2 cycle gas, and 5 gallon cans for straight gas. You associate the can size with the piece of equipment you are filling. It works for us.

Ditto this. I have the gallons marked off in case I have to make more mix from the straight gas.

:D

CoachLinz
06-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Nova-

Is that S for straight gas and M for mixed OR
S for string trimmer and M for Mower......

j/k

I use a marker and write trimmer/blower all over 1 can and leave the other alone.

awm
06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
i wouldnt callit a trick . just write mixed gas on one, and mower gas on the other.
i thank that would work.

cos
06-12-2003, 06:10 PM
I think the size of the can is all it takes. 2.5 is perfect for 2 stroke and the bigger can for straight for the bigger mowers. I don't think it will happen to me for it is routine now.

lawncare3
06-12-2003, 06:11 PM
I just spray paint the whole 2 cycle can black and write the word "mix" very simple. You might want to get the fusion paint made by krylon. My paint keeps UNpainting itself. :rolleyes:

jason r.
06-12-2003, 06:41 PM
I use a big black marker and write gas on one and mix on the other (freshen up the marks every month or so). Also, I wrap gray duct tape on the handle of all ''mix" tanks. This works for me and I haven't mixed them up yet.

CMerLand
06-12-2003, 07:46 PM
2. Can color (Red for regular and blue or yellow for 2-cycle).

Jimbo,

Im not sure if this is a fineable offense, but Im pretty sure that it is illegal to put gasoline in a blue gas can. Blue is for KEROSENE only and Yellow is for Diesel. Youd have to check your own state laws but if you ever got pulled into a roadside check, Im pretty certain they would nail you for this.

We also use the 2.5 gal can for our mixed gas and five gallons for our regular. I have also purchased aluminum marking tag kit that you can attach to the equipment that says mixed or gas so that guys can compare tags, kinda like garanimal clothes when I was a kid.

Best of luck.

CMerrick

GarPA
06-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Since we are referring to our occasionally going brain dead which we all do from time to time, I think can size is the most foolproof. It is less likely you will pick up and pour the small can of 2 cycle into your mower...on the other hand, if you just write on it with big nold letters, you could easily on a braindead day, not "read" it and whoops ....

gogetter
06-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Unless of course he's talking about 4 cycle machines like a Honda string trimmer? Hmm, that one would take some getting used to.

Auroris
06-12-2003, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty much with the others it seems...

Can size (smaller cans for mixed fuel) and also write with a big permanent black marker - GAS or MIX. On all of my older cans where the mix was different, I'd write "50:1" or something like that, but not anymore. ;)

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-12-2003, 11:05 PM
I made some stencils and I also baught some decals from Gemplers that state the type of fuel in the cans.. Straight gas cans say " GASOLINE" on both sides and 2 cycle mix say " MIXED GASOLINE" or " MIXED FUEL"...

Colors of cans..

Red is only for GASOLINE
Blue is only for KEROSENE
Yellow is only for DIESAL
These are the standard color codes for the types of fuel and are used to identify fire fighting and safety measures in the event of an accident or emergency... The Police or Fire dept are not gonna know that you have 2 cycle in a yellow can , They are gonna see it as Diesal and think it has a higher flash point... Not a smart idea to mess with can colors...............

Just label them correctly.... and label the tanks on equipment too if you have too...

Navig8r
06-12-2003, 11:13 PM
I use 2 or 2.5 gallon cans for 2-stroke and write 50:1 ALL OVER IT!
on the one can I use for my chain saw, I write "CHAIN SAW" on.... it runs 32:1.

I use un-labeled, regular, red 5-gallon can for straight gas.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Mowing season all 1gal, 2.5gal cans are 2 stroke.

Leaf season all blue 5gal cans are 2 stroke, and all red cans are reg gas.

Heron Cove PM
06-13-2003, 12:52 AM

Same here...it's not rocket science .

GeorgiaGrassMan
06-13-2003, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the 2.5 gallon for 2 cycle and 5 gallons for straight gas. I'll probably mark them too. Ultimately in my case, there is no protection from stupid things that happen when it's 100 degrees, 90% humidity and my ears are ringing.:dizzy: Its kinda like somebody was saying that they had started "cutting" 2 or 3 times in a single day without engaging the blades - same kinda deal. Maybe I could take my wife with me, let her sit in the air conditioned truck and have her "supervise" me. When I get ready to do something stupid, she could jump out of the truck and yell at me. She likes to do that anyway but I usually don't call it supervision. Bet you guys didn't think of that idea...

Rustic Goat
06-13-2003, 01:36 AM
So, in almost everyone's opinion here, size does matter?

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
So, in almost everyone's opinion here, size does matter? Depends on what you are referring to.

GeorgiaGrassMan
06-13-2003, 01:38 AM
So it would seem Goat.

Phishook
06-13-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
So, in almost everyone's opinion here, size does matter?

Right. Unless you like to write on it with a perminate marker or spray paint them black.;)

Mickhippy
06-13-2003, 06:01 AM

Thats how! Or get different color/branded/shape cans for each type of fuel.

wriken
06-13-2003, 08:29 AM
I use a 2.5 for the mixed gas, and a 36 gal tank for mower gas.

wissel_landscaping
06-13-2003, 08:41 AM
I have 2 1/2 gallons i use for mix gas and i wright "mix" on them, i use 5 gallon for regular gas and i wright "reg" on them. same on my backpack sprayers i wright "R-up" for round up and "3-way" for 3-way.

dobehap
06-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by wriken
I use a 2.5 for the mixed gas, and a 36 gal tank for mower gas.

Is this a transfer tank you are refering to?

I was thinking about getting me one of those, and going away from them 5 galon gas tanks.

How do you like it?

crawdad
06-13-2003, 09:04 AM
I write on the one gallon gas cans, "Stihl" and "Lawnboy" I don't carry a can for the Scag as it'll go all day or more on a tank of gas.
I use only Stihl oil in my Stihl mix, and only Lawnboy oil in my lawnboy. Costs a little more, but I've been doing it for many years, and I feel it's worth it.
Crawdad

Remsen1
06-13-2003, 02:34 PM
can size is the way i go.

pouring mixed gas into your 4 cycle won't hurt it, it'll just be a little smokey.

speaking of can sizes, my favorites are the little cans. :)

simsy71
06-13-2003, 02:45 PM
I use different can sizes. I use a much smaller can for the Mix and put in Big Black letters Mix on it.