PDA

View Full Version : The LCO is not such a small world after all

Port City Lawncare
06-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Maybe this wasn't the right forum to discuss this, but I'm in disbelief of how many of you are from the North. LCOs here in Mobile/Alabama/Southern USA, are one of the most growing industries, and for anyone who's ever been here you can tell there's plenty of other professions to have.

Our climate here gives us a better opportunity for year round service, seeing as we wear t-shirts and cut-offs on Christmas day. But I'd like to know what some of you guys are doing to supplement income during the harsher climates up North.

dobehap
06-12-2003, 12:12 PM
They usually drive to FL for a nice 2 week vacation, and rush back up north to snow plow.

drobson
06-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Well, one of the most busy times for me it fall with all the leaf cleanups. So I'm pretty busy up until the end of November into the first week of December. Then we prepare for the snow.

Of course last year it snowed before Thanksgiving and it was a hot summer so the leaves did not turn until well into November. This created a big problem where the snow covered all the leaves and then it never stopped snowing long enough to finish the fall cleanups. So, we ended up doing double the work in the spring for most clients.

Grassmechanic
06-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Make all our money in the summer, then relax. Some operators plow snow for added income.

Mike

AL Inc
06-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I make my money for the year in my 40 week season. I know that as long as I make my numbers every week, the money will be there to pay the bills all winter. We also do snow removal, but I never count on it. If we do get snow, great, if not, I can still go on vacation.
Hey, that is a big reason I went into this business, I love having 2 months off!!!

bastalker
06-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Fall cleanup is pretty good money goodpayup If it snows we plow....usually take a few weeks vacation...

mtdman
06-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Amen to what everyone else said. I think I would go nuts having to mow all year round. By the time November rolls around, I'm ready for a break. I really dig fall clean ups, it's my favorite time of the year!

:D

GraZZmaZter
06-12-2003, 03:41 PM
I have 70% of my accounts on a yearly contract.

Sit back in the winter and collect checks for all the hard work we did during the summer.

Oh, and plow a little snow here and there.

battags
06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
I have 70% of my accounts on a yearly contract. Sit back in the winter and collect checks for all the hard work we did during the summer. - GraZZmaZter

Wow! Great idea! How long have you been doing this and have you had any problems with it?

Brian

awm
06-12-2003, 05:36 PM
i just mostly sell the drugs, i pick up on commercial accts. got a little side buisiness in used latex items also.:D

lawncare3
06-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by awm
i just mostly sell the drugs, i pick up on commercial accts. got a little side buisiness in used latex items also.:D

ROTFLMAO. :p :p

GraZZmaZter
06-12-2003, 11:06 PM
battags - This is our first year doing this type of agreement. So far it has gone over very well. It is kind of a test run this year, than i can work out the bugs and fine tune everything when renewal time rolls around.

battags
06-13-2003, 01:48 PM
GraZZmaZter - I think it's a great idea. In fact I'm talking with my business partner (wife) to see if we can copy your idea in some degree. We have come to the conclusion that we will have to wait untill next season to start anything.

eaglelawn
06-13-2003, 04:24 PM
the only problem i have with mowing in the south is that the grass sucks.

you cant get a good stripe going at all.

but hey, its a fairly even climate.

bastalker
06-13-2003, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by eaglelawn the only problem i have with mowing in the south is that the grass sucks.

you cant get a good stripe going at all.

but hey, its a fairly even climate.[B]the only problem i have with mowing in the south is that the grass sucks.

And what does it have to do with this thread?:confused:

GraZZmaZter
06-14-2003, 01:30 AM
yea...its a little late to get this type of advertising up.

try next year.