PDA

View Full Version : Turf damage from front casters

Jimbo
06-12-2003, 01:40 PM
I just wanted to start a thread about the turf damage caused by the front tires. I get more damage from the front tires than anything else. If you try to back up to get a missed spot and the front casters turn around (which they will) the turf gets damaged pretty easily. I guess its not as bad when the ground is hard but with this saturation its been terrible.
Just wondering if there are any ideas to improve the problem. I cant think of any.
Maybe a way to keep the casters from turning 360º at times like this might help? Dunno

I might have to try some mods and see what happens.

Jimbo

mtdman
06-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I have problems with my floating deck, the roller tires on the deck. If I do a turn on an incline or bump or raised area, a lot of times the tires will dig sideways into the lawn. I have to be very mindful of those areas.

:confused:

EJK2352
06-12-2003, 01:49 PM
I am having the same problem w/ my Lazer. The ground is so saturated that it is unavoidable. We just got another 3/4" so far today and its still coming down. I have a few that I am not going to be able to cut, I barely got through them last week. Unbelievable!!!!! April started out dry here and I was thinking we were going to have a repeat of last year. Not!!!!!

jman00
06-12-2003, 02:38 PM
I have got a solution for you jimbo. When you go to turn move your levers so the front of your mower moves right just a bit and then backwards. This wil make the casters do more of a circle that a pivot in the same place. I have to do this in sandy areas and mud where the casters dig a nice hole. I learned how to do this in mud it keeps from putting resistance on the drive tires which can cause them to break traction and you know what happens from there. Hope this helps. if this is not clear tell me and i will post again in better details.

Jimbo
06-12-2003, 05:06 PM
jman00- Thats a good reply, but I already do that. I still get damage but not as bad as if I just backed straight up. It might be the best I can do though?

Jimbo

LawnSmith
06-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
jman00- Thats a good reply, but I already do that. I still get damage but not as bad as if I just backed straight up. It might be the best I can do though?

Jimbo

just get ribbed front casters like dixie choppers have. that way you can tear turf wether its wet or dry....lol.

brucec32
06-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Mine does it too. The advice you got was good. I would also try to slow down as the wheels reverse themselves. But it's nothing like the drive wheels can do to a lawn.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Start your 3 pt turn while you are still going forward so the casters come around gradually. Not mulch else to so given the soil conditions.

Lawn-Scapes
06-14-2003, 12:12 AM
And here I thought it was just me.. My front wheels are making divots too. The ground is just too soft right now. There will be lots of repair work this fall.

Bluesteel
06-14-2003, 03:14 AM
I’d like to try some wider balloon-type front castors just for floating over soft soil. Those front wheels carry a lot of weight. However, wider tires would cause larger pivot-divots, LOL.