PDA

View Full Version : New Logo....feedback please.

AltaView
06-12-2003, 02:20 PM
I am new to the forum and love it! I was in the green industry as a LCO back in the late 90's after getting out of the Air Force. I made a huge mistake of going into the corporate world, telecom at that. I have finally come to my senses after surviving a corporate bankruptcy and layoff after layoff. I am making a return for a different kind of stress. At least I can blame only myself for my success or failure. Part-time this year, full-time next year. I am licensed and insured and can't wait to take my slice of the market back.

I have created a new logo. Please provide your feedback. I can take it and look forward to it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Express Lawns

hboyd_com
06-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Everybody has a different opinion of what looks good and when you through out something like this you will hear all sorts of comments, both good and bad.

Here are mine...

First, I don't like the double ring around it... the rings are big which is going to make the important stuff like the phone number smaller than it could be.... oops!, there is no phone number!!

Second, Maybe it is my computer but Landscaping seems to be bolder than the Express Lawns.

Third, The name and the tag line don't seem to go together. Express lawns and landscaping and then you grow it, we mow it.
Maybe it is just me .....

Again, I'm being highly critical but then again you asked for opinions.:dizzy:

AltaView
06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
hboyd_com....thanks for the feedback! That is what I am looking for. Your feedback got the juices flowing and actually thinking a little more clearly. Take a look at this revision.

Your additional feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Express Lawns

hboyd_com
06-12-2003, 03:17 PM
That one I like.... although if I were you I would play with different font sizes and boldness to what mix works best for you.

From my point of view, I would make the name stand out the most, followed by the phone number and finally the licensed and insured small but readable. JMHO.

ksland
06-12-2003, 03:29 PM
First off you don't have to have your phone number in your logo. Not many do. You add the phone number somewhere else nearby. Of course that is for a logo, not a sign and its a logo you are trying to create. The tree is a bit too simple I think, very un-original. I like the first one better than the second but think they are both ok but not outstanding. You asked, so I told.

AltaView
06-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Ksland....thanks for your reply. I appreciate any and all feedback. I am really approaching this from two directions. Like you pointed out...I was initially going from the angle of it being a logo. But I am also looking at it from a signage standpoint.

I have revised it again. Thanks for the patience and willingness to help.

Kevin
Express Lawns

hboyd_com
06-12-2003, 03:37 PM
I like the latest version. Nice job. And yes, a phone numbers doesn't need to be part of the logo but I assumed you were interested in signage. I'd drop the phone number if the logo was a small logo on the front of a shirt but I would keep it on anything large enough to make it worthwhile, like the back of a shirt, side of a truck/van/trailer, etc.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
06-12-2003, 04:20 PM
I would probably leave the phone number out of the logo, you can always add that on to the side of the truck or under the logo on your t-shirts, as ksland said, this is your logo.
Also if you should move and lose that number or want to eliminate that number and advertise your cell number you would have to change all your artwork, and that will cost you, not only for the shirts but you would have to re-letter the trucks, all letterhead and blah,blah,blah.

Steve :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

LA LAWNS
06-12-2003, 07:26 PM
LOOKS GOOD. MAYBE USE LESS COLOR IN THE GRASSY AREA: FADE IT A BIT MAYBE. REMEMBER TO KEEP IT SIMPLE. CHECK MINE OUT:

AltaView
06-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. This is still a work in progress but here are a few more designs. Keep in mind that some are logo and some are for signs.

Thanks,
Kevin
Express Lawns

AltaView
06-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Another one.http://www.marquisenterprises.com/logo6.jpg

AltaView
06-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Another one.

http://www.marquisenterprises.com/logo5.jpg

lawndreamer
06-18-2003, 04:55 PM
What programs are you using to put your own logo together? I need to create a logo.

AltaView
06-18-2003, 05:05 PM
I am using Paint Shop Pro ver. 7.04

Picked it up at Costco last year for under $75.

Takes some learning your way around but it is a pretty good program for the money. There are probably better ones out there but this is decent.

Kevin
Express Lawns

AltaView
06-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Here is another possible logo. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin
Express Lawns

AltaView
06-18-2003, 05:08 PM
It is simple and easy to reproduce for signs, shirts, letterhead, etc.....

GrassQuester
06-19-2003, 01:02 AM
The latest one seems the best more proffesional in my opinion alil collor would be good....

GrassQuester
06-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Where did my spelling go lol..

GrassQuester
06-19-2003, 01:05 AM
Then again screw the color...

llgardens
06-20-2003, 08:56 AM
unless you are planing on being predominantly a lawncare service leave out "if you grow it we mow it" its catchy but limiting it looks like your trying to design a busniess card>>>
a logo should be something that is representative of your image that you can PUT ON your business cards letterhead invoices etc you have the right eye for designing give yourself a bit more time between ideas...

UGA
06-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Looking pretty good now. I just finished mine as well.

Lanelle
06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I notice that you always include a tree in the logo. Do you offer tree services? The last one sorta sends the message that you are a tree service but the tag line is contrary to that.

Green in Idaho
06-21-2003, 01:41 AM
UGA if you would like feedback ,maybe a new thread.

Keving the latter two sample are doing pretty good. I agree with the tree images deal written above.

The last version is fine, but it puts in the bucket with 10,000 other mowers in SLC. Further that logo could appear in any town in America. It's bland!

If you want to be different--- start with your logo. You are looking at the beautiful Wasatch Mountains! Start there. And there's awesome skiing sooo close....

something like:
Wasatch Greens
Double Diamond Landscapes
Sego Lawns (obvious logo is the Sego)

"Express" doesn't do much for me other than say "we"re cheap and quick". IF that's you , great!

AltaView
06-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks to all of you for your feedback and suggestions. I have been re-thinking the name and logo. In order to be more specific to the area and to NOT suggest quick or cheap I think I have decided on Alta View Lawn & Landscaping.

One possible logo is here.

Your continued feedback is appreciated.

Kevin

michigangrass
06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
ExpressLawns

If at all possible...print out at actual size and take a look at it from a distance.
Our first signs looked great on a monitor but were difficult to read from any distance.

Keep it simple and keep it clean...an unclear message, people will be trying to figure out what you do rather than writing down your number.

Lanelle
06-23-2003, 11:25 PM
This is definitely more expressive and is a nicer image to project. I like the illustration that you have posted but I would change the arrangement a bit. Try putting the name in a larger font under the mountain tops and extending out to the right. Then it will make sense to put the phone number under that on signs. Also, the mountain tops don't look right being overshadowed by the lettering.

Green in Idaho
06-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Good logo concept! I like the name too! Early in the phone book and a nice name!

Image needs adjustments though. Different trees (if any) little bigger font and placement to the left of the peak or right per Lanelle. "Maybe" adjust the shading... something like the 'East' aspect in gray shading, and the 'west' without in clear and with the name.

Michigan has a good point. Print it out on 81/2 x 11 and flash it to someone who hasn't seen it before. From 20 feet away show it for 2 seconds and then ask them what it was.

Then take a copy down to your local grocery store and stop a couple people, "Excuse me. Can you help me? I'm doing some marketing questions on a new logo. What do you think of when you see this?" Have some cards with your phone number on them, you might pick up a customer out of 20 people.

Bottom line is YOU will be looking it at EVERY DAY! What do you want to look at and what will potential customers think.

AltaView
07-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Ok, I have decided to have a group of professionals help me with this. Take a look at this and let me know what you think. I like the design but am looking for a different color scheme and maybe not having the sunburst effect over the mountains.

Thanks,

Kevin
AltaView

Green in Idaho
07-01-2003, 12:04 PM
different font on the name and no background behind the letters so one can read it easily and quickly.

ksland
07-01-2003, 11:32 PM
What do you guys think of this logo? I made it for a buddy.

AltaView
07-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Here is a different direction from a different designer. Thoughts? I am still moving towards a finished product based on the last design I displayed.

Thanks,

Kevin
AltaView

AltaView
07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
OK, here are a few more options.......what do you all think?

Kevin
AltaView

AltaView
07-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Ok, here are two more versions. I am going to make a decision in the next 24 hours. Let me know what you think. There may be a couple more to come real soon.

Kevin
AltaView

AltaView
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Here is another one from a different designer. The text would be a little different but what do you think of the design? I love having all of these designers competing for my business. It is only going to cost $55 for the completed product in whatever formats I need!

Thanks,

Kevin
AltaView

AltaView
07-02-2003, 06:46 PM
OK, we are very close. I am torn but really like these last two. They seem to stand out and would be easily identifiable even from a distance IMO. What do you all think?

Soon we will be finished with this thread! I appreciate all comments and suggestions. You have all been very helpful.

Thanks,

Kevin
AltaView

UGA
07-03-2003, 11:46 AM
I personally like the logos on your last two posts the best. I guess I am a little different but the all green one is my favorite even though it's a little modern; also it look slike it will be ahrder to read than the others you like. They all look really good and I don't think you could go wring by using any of these you like. When I was pricing those online designers they were all $250 and up for logo design. What site did you use?

AltaView
07-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Go to *********** com and you can do the same thing. You setup a contest and the designers submit their entries and you critique them until you get what you want. It works great! I had to separate out the web address into words because the last time I tried to include it in a message it was ******'d out.

UGA
07-03-2003, 03:11 PM
And it was only $55 from start to finish?

AltaView
07-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah, you set the prize amount for the contest. They recommend you start at $50 depending on your situation. There was a small fee for the site and that brought the total to $55. You prepay through paypal and then once you select the winning design you get the design in whatever file formats you need and then the site pays the winning designer. It is a great setup. My contest is still running. I will probably name a winner today.

UGA
07-03-2003, 03:25 PM
That's great and I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you end up with. I would probably have gone that route if I thought it was that cheap. Here's mine that cost me $25 only because I couldn't find nice enough clip art.

LawnLad
07-04-2003, 10:58 AM
I like the new logo selections, good idea having a "professional" design it. It brings a little something extra to it.

One thing to remember, which was mentioned a bit earlier, but I want to reiterate... a logo needs to be scaleable. It's helpful if its a color logo that you have a black and white option so you're not always having to print in color if you don't want to.

Ideally you should be able to drop the text from a logo and people would still identify your business. Think of the corporate logos out there that you recognize without anything but the sybmol! AT&T, Golden Arches, Apple Computer, etc. And then there is the approach of using your name destinctively written as your logo: HP, DELL, Burker King, etc.

Being able to read your logo in many formats is important. Where will you be applying your logo? Embroidary, screen priting, side of truck (vinyl), side of trailer, banner or signs, busines card, letter head and envelopes, etc. Small text will get lost when you reduce the size.

Best of luck with your decision - I think you're on the right track.

vardener
07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
I chose the bottom of the two for my logo. The only diff between this and the finished product is that the word, "the" is before "village" and there is no black outline around the tree. I have a buddy in the houston area, the best man in my wedding, I gave him an old guitar and promised him a landscape design when I move down there (17 mos and counting)