PDA

View Full Version : laying seed

MikeA
06-12-2003, 03:59 PM
I live in NJ

Over the past month I put in a new patio. To put it in I had to dig out a hole which left me with a large amount of grass & dirt clumps. I placed them around my house to help with some grading problems that I had. I plan on renting a rototiller this weekend to break them up. I want to than seed the new dirt. Since I am from NJ I am assuming I want a rye or KY Bluegrass. My question is what else do I need. Do I need fertalizer, lime, hay, etc. What should I get

Thanks
Mike

Grassmechanic
06-12-2003, 05:03 PM
you have a PM

MikeA
06-13-2003, 11:27 AM
PM back to you

MikeA
06-23-2003, 09:30 AM
I decided to break up the clumps by hand. I got a spade and started choping. It took some time but I got them broken up and than I used a hand tamper to try to make it as flat as possible. I went and purchased some top soil from Home Depot and I plan on using that to finish off the grading and to plant the grass seeds. My question is should I also tamp that down or should I only grade it out and let it settle on its own?

BTW, where can you buy straw or hay from to put on top of the new seeds? Doesn't look like nurseries here in NJ have it

Thanks for all of the help

MikeA
06-25-2003, 11:05 AM
I spent ALL day yesterday installing an underground drain from my back gutter, grading the land with top soil, putting down seed, and putting down straw when I was done.

2 quick questions
1) Is it possible to put down too much straw? I put a "healthy" amount down
2) Do I have to remove the straw at some point?

Thanks