PDA

View Full Version : Heavy tracking solution for a 36 Wright Stander?

Bluesteel
06-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Im pretty happy with my 36 Wright Stander. But being a large guy, even in relatively dry conditions, the mower was tracking heavy. Im careful to stagger my tracks by 1/3 each on each successive mow, but the tracks were still too visible. So with all the rain and soft soil, the narrow factory tires would only make things worse.

I dont know if these larger tires will work, but theyre a full 1 wider. The original tires were 18-6.50-8NHS, and these are 18-7.50-8NHS. Thats about 17% wider. They fit on the factory wheels and dont increase the overall width of the mower (37.5). Nor do they require adjustment to the parking brake. The original tires had the Turf-Master tread, which works well, but this odd-ball size only comes in the Turf-Saver tread.

There is one problem however. These wider tires just barely rub the frame of the mower. So I used some (inside diameter) flat washers on the lug-bolts between the hub and the wheel, to stand the tires off the frame about . These standard flat-washers are roughly 1/8 thick, so I doubled them (using 8 per wheel). The washers in the bin at the hardware store ranged somewhat in thickness, so be sure to match them so you dont introduce wobble to the wheel.

I bought these tires from Cedar Rapids Tire ( http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/index.asp ) for $66 with shipping, and they shipped them right away.

lawncare3
06-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Looks great. :)

I like wider tires more then skinny ones. I think skinny tires are EVIL. :angry: :angry:

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-12-2003, 08:50 PM
tradeoff for less trimability.

Bluesteel
06-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Yep, but I'm not impressed with this mower's trimming ability anyway. The picture is little deceiving, because the unmounted 6.5" wide tire is not inflated. By the way, that was $66 for 2 tires, delivered.

David Haggerty
06-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Nice looking improvement.
The stock tires look skinney by comparison.

I prefer the turf saver tread over the turf master.
Turf master is a little too agressive for tender turf.

Take a look at this site for flotation tires.
http://www.sugardog.com/~mccord/

Dave

Bluesteel
06-13-2003, 01:21 AM
That's a cool link. I would like to get some wider front tires just for wet conditions. But it would require new castors, wheels, axles, etc. Which is ok, because I'd prefer to use the stock front tires in normal to dry conditions. Just have to rig something up when I get around to it.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
tradeoff for less trimability. How much ability to trim do you get with a 36"? Not much I'll take stability any day over trim-ability.

BTW trade-off is hyphenated.............

Bluesteel I like the tire tread pattern you took off a whole lot better than the pattern you put on.

Bluesteel
06-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Roger that. I'd prefer the original tread as well. But I had to do something proactive. The original tires had about 3/8" frame-clearance. This setup with 1/4" clearance may not be enough for anything but level ground. Well see.

David Haggerty
06-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Bluesteel I like the tire tread pattern you took off a whole lot better than the pattern you put on.

Yes I know Mike prefers Turfmasters over Turfsavers.

He's stated that before.

It's not just the pattern that's different.
The rubber compound in the Turfmasters gives much better tread wear also.

And they'll also tear up the turf more.

But maybe everyone's not as paranoid about tearing up the turf as I am. But Hey! I'm mowing soup here.

Dave

PS; If you're ghost writing for Mike couldn't you sign your post LGM or something?

Strawbridge Lawn
06-13-2003, 07:41 AM
I e-mailed Wright Manufacturing regarding the tire issue/rutting last week. He wrote back:
" Ive been looking into wider tires and the widest I could find that would not stick out from the deck is an 18x7.0 8 Titan Multi-Trac. I would need to make major changes to the mower to get much wider tires on it than that without sticking out and even more major changes to have more trimming ability as you wish for in #4. I might have to sacrifice foot area to do it which might be worse. Its more likely that I would only change that 2 wide flatbar that the upright is bolted to week and he forwarded to me a wider tire size. "
I weigh 105 lbs and the machine still rutsin these soft conditions of late.
I tell my helpers to get as close as you can during the first pass but don't spend allot of time trying to trim. Faster coming through with the trimmer IMO.
Best to you

Bluesteel
06-13-2003, 11:47 AM
These 18-7.50-8NHS tires are right at the outermost edges of the cutting deck (with the spacers between the wheel and the hub). There is really only one tight spot next to the frame. Its in the upper-forward quadrant (next to that 2 flat-bar section). If these tires rub at that location, I could grind about 1/8 off of a 2-3 portion of that bar without significant structural effects. If needed, that would give me the same 3/8 frame clearance as the narrow tires had.

The next size up are 18-8.50-8NHS (the size on the 42 Stander), so unless you can tolerate the tires sticking out about an 1 on each side, that would require MAJOR, possibly ruinous modification. However, I think Wright could modify the 36 Stander to accommodate these 7.5 tires.

In practice, trying to trim with this mower is just not practical. The trim-side front wheel sticks out of the front too far. Even with the narrow 6.5 tires, you cant trim close enough to chain-link fence, trees, flowerbeds, etc. to not need follow up trimming with a string-trimmer. So yeah, I agree Strawbridge, its just a waste of time trying to mow an inch or two closer to objects.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by David Haggerty
Yes I know Mike prefers Turfmasters over Turfsavers.

He's stated that before.

It's not just the pattern that's different.
The rubber compound in the Turfmasters gives much better tread wear also.

And they'll also tear up the turf more.

But maybe everyone's not as paranoid about tearing up the turf as I am. But Hey! I'm mowing soup here.

Dave

PS; If you're ghost writing for Mike couldn't you sign your post LGM or something?

Yes it's also the compound, the other tires seem to not grab as well on hills. And yes it is me, no ghost wirter.

KS Mower
06-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Bluesteel -

Sorry, off the subject a little.

Is the black material around the outside of your deck part of the mulching kit? If so - how do you like the results you get with this?

Also - have you found any striping kit solutions for your 36 Stander?

Thanks.
KS Mower

Bluesteel
06-14-2003, 03:20 AM
KS Mower,

I posted a lot of info about this skirting in a thread a few months ago. Heres the link bud:

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=43787&highlight=doubles+stander+36

finmower
06-14-2003, 05:22 AM
One good option is Snapper Ninja blades, works well for me,
only broblem is , difficult sharpening.

finmower
06-14-2003, 07:11 AM
pick

Bluesteel
06-14-2003, 11:37 AM
LOL, I can't imagine why those would be hard to sharpen. hehe

Wow, those look like some serious mulching blades!

Bluesteel
06-14-2003, 12:42 PM
finmower,

I just noticed your center half-baffle and that you've closed the discharge with another curved one. This mower is obviously new when you took this picture. Have you used it much since?

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-14-2003, 01:06 PM
You may miss the trimability.

I use the 36"'s primarily as trim mowers & have put narrow, 16 x 4.80-8 Turf Saver tires one of my 36"TTHP's. Overall saves alot of trim time.

finmower
06-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Bluesteel

I got this mower last winter, with mulching kit.
I changed blades to ninja blades, because those with
mulchin kit, was normally high lift blades.
We have driven this about 100 hours, and it does
exellent job. Wery good for trimming to narrow places.
We have 100 lbs driver, so we have no broblem
with narrow tires.

Bluesteel
06-15-2003, 01:53 AM
So you're from Finland?

finmower
06-15-2003, 08:20 AM
Yes I am.
I read this site often, and got good ideas from all
of you, thank you.
I hope I can also give some ideas for you.
I send some picks later, of mowers in Finland.

CO.d 502nd
06-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Hello finmower

Nice to have you on the forum and i look forward to seeing pics of finnish mowers.

I have a dear friend from helsinki her name is helvi,she been here for quite a few years.Here husband just passed away a couple years ago he was a uaw- ford worker here in the states.

take care over there in finland

energy
12-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Bluesteel, how has the tires change the problem? Does it tear less grass when you do a zero turn? How close does it really come to touching the mower with the spacers? The reason i want to get wider tires is mostly because of tearing when turning. But i also get the problem that you have with the ruts. And how is that new tread?

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-14-2003, 05:19 AM
Bluesteel....you have read my mind with the rubber skirting.......I just bought a 61" Stander and have had that idea in my head, but was having trouble with the design....you have solved that ....thanks

Derek