PDA

View Full Version : Kubota and john deere

bobac
06-12-2003, 09:09 PM
what do you guys think about the ZD series from kubota. And what about the John deere Zrts. How do these handle hills. What are any pros and cons

marvinlee
06-13-2003, 01:45 AM
I bought one of the early ZD-21 Kubotas. It is an excellent mower that handles hills very well and has ample power to mow our grass. By hills, I mean our steep slopes in a rural area where slopes cover less acreage than the nearly flat areas. The Kubota mows up or down or sideways with great ease and controllability. As for pros and cons, I know of no cons compared to our garden tractor with a 4-foot deck. The pros are many. The Kubota has a crankup front end for easy blade changes, the handling is more like a sports car than a garden tractor, and the turning radius is very close to zero, as the words zero-turn suggest. The owners of other brands also tend to be enthusiastic about their zero turn units.

One little discussed advantage of zero turn mowers in general is that most of the weight is on the back wheels and the operator has individual control of the power going to each back wheel. In practical terms, this means that one has as much or more traction as with a conventional tractor with a locking differential. If one feels either wheel slipping, it is natural to momentarily back off power on that wheel and thus stop the slippage. I can go up hills so steep that the garden tractor would spin its wheels.