PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Lazer - Heck of a Deal?

Darryl G
06-12-2003, 10:05 PM
I was shopping for a new mower today as I'm about maxxed out with my 48 Turf Tracer, which I don't even have a spare for.

A local dealer has a leftover 60 inch Lazer Z with the 27 HP Kawi liquid cooled engine that he says is a "heck of a deal" at $7999. The machine has 6 hours on the meter from running around but has never cut.

It seems like a good deal to me, but what gives me pause is that it doesn't have the deck lift assist or cup holder that was standard in 2002. He says they were shipped separate and are included.

Makes me wonder if this is a 2001 leftover, not 2002. How can I find out? Is there a date of mfg. stamped somewhere? And even if it is a 2001, does it really matter?

Thanks for any advise.

Green Pastures
06-12-2003, 10:07 PM
That's a KILLER deal, even if it's a 2000 model, who cares 6 hours on the meter!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

walker-talker
06-12-2003, 10:10 PM
I would think there would be a date stamp on the same plate as the serial #. If not, an Exmark rep could tell you the year the unit was manufactured with the serial #. As far as the difference between 2001 and 2002, I would not think that could be much, but an Exmark rep or guru from this site should be able to help you there.

MATT

Cooper Landscaping
06-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Darryl-
This is a horrible deal- dont even think about wasting your money! That being said- can i get the name of the dealership, salesmans name, and phone number of dealership :D :D lol
-Coop

Randy Scott
06-12-2003, 10:39 PM
I just picked up a 2002 27 liquid with a 72" deck with foot assist for $8500, no hours. I was pretty happy with that deal. I think the 60" is right in the correct price range. I always thought there was about $500 difference between a 60" and 72".

Darryl G
06-12-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. Well, it is in kinda rough shape...the traction strips on the foot rests are coming off a little!

Maybe you guys can help with the other problem...if I get this mower, will it fit on my 6.5 x12 trailer with the UV system installed? I know it's gonna be real tight.

I figure I'd have to back the Z on and have the bagger hanging off the front of the trailer a foot (it has a low rail), put the Turf Tracer sideways in the back and find a spot somewhere (in the truck bed?) for the 21 inch pusher which is rarely used.

mickman
06-12-2003, 10:41 PM
just bought an 2003 27 hp lazer last month.....$ 7200.oo

last year paid $ 7900.oo for 2002 lcooled 27 hp

they sell them cheaper at frederick, MD dealership

they sell alot of them.

Randy Scott
06-12-2003, 10:48 PM
The ultra-vac adds 14 inches at the deck. You should have 4 inches to spare.:eek:

fblandscape
06-12-2003, 10:54 PM
You can fit a belly mount machine and a w/b on a 12' trailer no problems. I know people who do that with 10' trailers, however they have no room for any other equipment (push mowers / blowers / etc.)

roscioli
06-13-2003, 11:02 AM
FB- He means width wise I think, when the UV adds 14", you have a 74" mower on a 72" wide trailer. I would ask if the dealer has one mounted up to test, maybe your trailer is really a little wider or something. I got my L/C as a 2001 leftover last spring with deck lift assist for $8025, yours sounds like a good deal. I am selling it now, with my entire business, but thats another story. I don't know if my RPM's aren't all the way up, but it is still entirely possible to bog this machine down in thick grass, maybe 7-8" tall, and I am pretty dissapointed in that aspect, but I will check my RPMS before i bash too much.

bastalker
06-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Darryl... I bought a 2002 leftover, foot lift, 25 hp kohler from Cooks power equipment here in Groton for 7200.00 no hours on the meter at all. If you want to drive a few miles I will hook you up with him. 7999.00 is a little steep... shop around or email me, I will give you the #

NC Big Daddy
06-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Just bought 2 new 28efi 60" for $8599 each. So I wouldn't think you're getting a deal. If you're looking at price only keep looking. But remember it's the service that counts.

TLS
06-13-2003, 11:53 AM
A lot of you are quoting prices on everything BUT what Darryl is considering.

The LC Lazer is very different from a regular Lazer. Its not just a radiator hunked on!

Not that it matters, but I paid $8495 for my 2001 model in the fall of 2000. Foot lift was an option on the 2001 M/Y at least in the beginning. Exmark makes running changes sometimes midway through M/Y's.

Darryl,

With only 6 hours (none cutting grass), it still could be considered a "new" mower. As long as you'll get a full warranty, I'd go for it. The improvements that eXmark has made since are slight and wouldn't affect my decision.

You'll have room on your trailer just as you described backing on with the bags hanging over the hitch. Width wise, you'll be tight, but it works for me. When you get it, take 2 of the 3 weight plates off the front. The UV kit adds weight bars under the foot plate hinge (leave them on). This will give you a MUCH more responsive and lighter machine. Get a digital tach and make sure your RPM's are up high enough.

Also, consider the "Director" from YSM. It IS a MUST HAVE!!!

Also, make the dealer install the NEW eXcalibur blades, as yours will probably NOT come with them!

Good Luck!

Good Machine!

Darryl G
06-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Well, I just measured my trailer width, and it's 76 inches. The specs list the width with the UV installed as 74.44 inches. That gives me whopping 1.5 inches clearance. I don't know if that's enough to work with. Sounds like a precription for bending/banging it up.

Does the UV blower assembly come off the discharge chute easily? That appears to be the widest part.

I suppose I could always get a larger trailer, but with this one only a year old, of course I'd rather not.

TLS - Yes, the mower would be sold as new with full warranty. I know you like yours.

The dealer seems o.k. Good sized shop, plenty of inventory and they seem to be straight shooters. They're a little far away (half hour), but the dealer near me that I usually deal with is all but out of business. I was amazed when I went there earlier this week to buy some oil mix. His inventory consisted of 2 Husquvarna pieces, a 21 inch mower and the small tiller. All the equipment racks on the walls had FIREWORKS for sale on them! In fact, I've picked up 2 new residential mowing accounts because they've been fixing their mowers for months.

I actually like the local Scag dealer better. They are closer, very responsive and eager to please, plus have a full line hardware store and are open 7 days a week. Recently, they didn't hesitate to pull some parts off their Shindaiwa split boom trimmer floor model to get me running again. But they don't discount much at all and I'm sold on Exmark over Scag.

TLS
06-13-2003, 12:23 PM
You'll fit fine with the UV. Thats how wide most trailers are. You WILL hurt your trailer easier than the UV unit. It is WAY overbuilt. Very sturdy and designed to bang into things.

If you don't feel comfortable, the UV power unit removes in about 5 seconds. NO TOOLS needed.

Good Luck.

Let us know how you make out!

Darryl G
06-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Well, I went with the 52 inch HP with the 23 Kawi instead. I think it will fit my properties better and I know it will fit my trailer better. It should be ready for me tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in the 27 LC I mentioned above, it's at Giant Oak Power Equipment in North Branford, CT. Not sure they'll offer you the same deal they offered me or if it's still there.