PDA

View Full Version : Wal-mart oil?

Bunton Guy
06-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Who makes their oil and oil filters?

pottstim
06-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Walmart awards their oil contracts to the lowest bidder. Last time I heard, Quaker State was making Walmart's oil. I think it's called Tech 2000. Not sure about the filters though.

Keith
06-12-2003, 11:55 PM
That is the way I understand it too...Quakerstate.

The filter I believe is made by Champion Labs. They also make filter for many other companies, like STP, Deutsch, Lee, Car & Driver and more. Look at the bottom of a Wal-Mart filter, I think Champion Labs have 6 large inlet holes with one being bigger than the others. Don't confuse what I am referring to with the large threaded outlet hole.

lawncare3
06-13-2003, 01:44 AM
I buy mine from there. :) Great stuff for .99 a bottle. I change oil every 2 weeks and that is a great way to go. ;)

lawnMaster5000
06-13-2003, 04:08 PM
I have bought my two-cycle oil from there for some time now and have always thought it was a great oil. However about two weeks ago when i went in I bought another case of the little oil things. IT IS ****. Ever since I poured the first drop of that mix into my equipment everything has been smoking and running really bad. and yes i mixed correctly.

Always before the oil i bought from there has been a red oil just like what you can buy with the Red-max name on it. This time it was a thick black oil that seemed a slightly different consistency than other 2-cycle oils.

Saying this to warn those of you who use oil from wal-mart - It is not always the same thing. One week it may be great - the next it may be black water and you will never know the difference.

bastalker
06-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Walmart sells Mobile1;)

eslawns
06-14-2003, 01:55 AM
I usually wait until Auto Zone has Texaco Havoline on sale for $.79 a qt. and get enough to last a season for all mowers and vehicles.

pottstim
06-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by eslawns
I usually wait until Auto Zone has Texaco Havoline on sale for $.79 a qt. and get enough to last a season for all mowers and vehicles.

Havoline is probably a good choice. From what I hear, it is the cleanest running motor oil on the market today. They say it is high in detergents.

Envy Lawn Service
06-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Keith
That is the way I understand it too...Quakerstate.

The filter I believe is made by Champion Labs. They also make filter for many other companies, like STP, Deutsch, Lee, Car & Driver and more. Look at the bottom of a Wal-Mart filter, I think Champion Labs have 6 large inlet holes with one being bigger than the others. Don't confuse what I am referring to with the large threaded outlet hole.

This is correct....

However, believe it or not, the filters are actually very high quality to be a Champion Lab filter. In fact, to my knowledge, they are better than all of the brand names listed above. All of the Super Tech filters I use have the synthetic fiber enhanced filter media. The flimsy paper elements in most Champion Labs filters has been this company's only downfall.

The ones I'm using on my mowers seem to be doing a great job. Plus I'm able to use filters that have 2 to 3 times the capacity and filter media compaired to the OEM filters. I get more engine oil capacity and more filtering area. Neither seem like a bad idea to me.

As for the oil, I don't use it. I lost an engine within a few hours of switching to their synthetic oil in one of my other mowers. I don't know 100% if that was the cause. But I don't feel like pushing my luck again.

I'm extremely pleased with the Castrol GTX 10w 30 I'm using now.

roscioli
06-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I have used it in my trucks for a while, no problems at all. There is a study somewhere done on New York Cabs, that "proved" there is almost 0 difference between oils of any different manufacture. I think they said that synthetics are a little better, but not much at all. Someone probably has a link to it. I have heard a ton of bad things about Fram filters, I know a guy that races bikes and mini-cars that blew an engine because the fram filter failed, and hasnt sold one in his shop since. Also other similar stories. I still use them sometimes, because with that new grip, they are so easy to take off its hard to refuse... but that grip also holds in heat, which is bad. So who knows?

C4chris70
06-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Myself and a friend who is also in the business were both using tech2000 two cycle oil from wal-mart for the past few years. We both purchased new Redmax string trimmers and within one month both units had clogged exhaust ports. The dealer informed us that we should only use oil that is JASO FC approved. We were told that using non approved oil voids many warranties. No more Tech2000 for us!

CMLLawnServices
06-14-2003, 09:32 PM
For some reason i never trusted the oil from wal-mart i`ve always used quaker state but for the last year i`ve used Shell brand oil the stuff u buy at the gas station , its a bit pricey but i think its some of the best stuff around . I use stihl oil in my 2 cycle stuff because my dealer gave me 2 free six packs of the little cans when i bought my trimmer from them . but he`s also a friend of the family;) before that i used that shell NAUTALIST oil from the outboard that we had on our zodiac when we had our big boat. had about a gallon left over, and it burnt real clean it`s supposed to be way less polution . But i always ran Canadian Tire ( like true value in canada) cheap snowmoble oil in my sled . :rolleyes:

aleksei
06-15-2003, 03:48 AM
If anyone's tight with their truck/car mechanic, try asking them about buying a drum once in a while. If 30 gallons is too much, just ask about an empty one. They're great for storing used oil 'til your local HazMat Collection Day -- Y'all are responsible 'bout disposing of used oil, right?

Bunton Guy
06-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I have used wal-mart 2 stroke oil for a while and never had a problem. 2 stroke engines are ment to be screaming at top RPM so I use them that way and have no problem. It builds more heat in turn that burns off the extra oil so you will have no build up.

plowboy81
06-15-2003, 12:43 PM
The best 2- stroke mix to use is the Husky XP. I buy the 2.5 gal. mix and mix it with 2 gal of gas. I have use it for years and this mix will work in any mix requirements for any two stroke. I pay 1.25 for each bottle. I buy it in a six pack. My brother went to NADC(Nashville Auto Diesel College) which is the best auto school in the US. He had to do a viscosity breakdown test on all of the top motor oils on the market. He tested Havoline, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Kendall, and a couple others. Of all of the oils, Kendall held up the best. My grandpa and uncle have used it all their life and now I use it instead of Pennzoil. Kendall is harder to find and more expensive, but it is the purest oil on the market and it comes from virgin US crude oil. Hope this helps. Another thing, for you guys who use Havoline, right now Advance has their contract with them and all of the Advance brand oil is bottled by Havoline.

Mudmower
06-15-2003, 01:04 PM
I second the Kendall Oil recomendation. Mercury Marine recommends (as of 2001) that ALL of their High Performance engines use Kendall straight weight 40. I started using Kendall back in the mid 70's when I first started driving. It is hard to find, but well worth it. Autozone carries it here in the Houston Texas area.

Just a note, I spoke with a Mercury Marine rep at the Miami Boat show back in 1999. He told me that a Stock 454, in a 28ft. boat, running 2900 rpm, was like running a pickup truck (3/4 ton) up a constant 8% grade at 50 mph!!!!!! Having owned boats of all sizes, it's only Kendall for me....

Envy Lawn Service
06-15-2003, 01:15 PM
As far as 2-stroke oil goes, I haven't used anything but Echo Premium and Opti-2 oil since my last trimmer broke. Both are low smoke formulas and both do OK. I was using only the Opti-2 until I bought an Echo that came with some Echo oil. Since the Opti-2 is a little scarce to find and my dealer has the Echo stuff, I just use it.

I did notice my dealer had a few large bottles of Amsoil 2 cycle stuff. Anyone using that?

Keith
06-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

I did notice my dealer had a few large bottles of Amsoil 2 cycle stuff. Anyone using that?

Been using it for about 10 years. Never had any problems with it. Even at the rich 80:1 rate, a quart will mix with 20 gallons of gasoline. That comes out to 40 cents a gallon or less. I usually buy a case of quarts.

Lawn Tek
06-15-2003, 07:08 PM
A note about filters . There is a huge difference in filter brands . We toured the Wix corp filter plant a few years back . When you see the actual filter R & D and all the hundreds of hours of testing and engineering that goes into making them , you'll see that cheap filters are junk . We sold Napa filters for years, several hundred thousand dollars worth , and I can tell you we hand all the filters cut open and man there is some junk out there . Weakest filter media Fram , Walmart . Wix makes Napa and several others , antidrain back valves ane not in the cheap ones .