PDA

View Full Version : Orange Cones

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Since we got going on the safety kick.. Curious as to how many of you guys are setting up orange cones and other traffic safety devices when stopping on the side of the road to do a job...

FrankenScagMachines
06-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Me! My grandpa gave me 2 of them so whenever I park on the street I use 'em. A few of my accounts are on busier roads and take about an hour to do, and the driveway is big enough so I park in it rather than create a traffic hazard.

BSDeality
06-12-2003, 11:14 PM
since i got my new trailer i always put a cone down on the road-side of the gate. People can't seem to see a black 6x10 trailer behind my CJ. One day I'm sure i'll forget and find a guy in a BMW or mercedes up on my trailer while he was yakking on the cell.

Navig8r
06-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I always put a cone approx. 8-10 ft. behind trailer, just far enough out so that you can't go around it and not clear the fender of the trailer..... I even use this in some driveways to prevent customers from tripping/driving over my gate while it's down.
I'm working on an amber strobe to mount in the rear of my trailer on the driver's side to attract additional attention when needed.

BSDeality
06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
speaking of warning lights, I'm going to look into getting strobes for my new truck and also see about wiring up my trailer lights too, People always seem to ride my *** with the trailer, and they never seem to see the lights since they're so low. I know its illegal, but i'd rather let people know i'm slowing down and turning than have a bumper in my gate.

LLMSERVICE
06-12-2003, 11:40 PM
I use cones-one on the drivers front side and others off the back of my trailer-8 feet behind the gate to keep people from parking up against my gate. I also use an amber strobe on the truck and four-way flashers.

I've actually had police stop to comment on the safety practices. Apparently most don't do this.

GLS
06-12-2003, 11:43 PM
I put out two orange safety cones when I park on the road. I put them out for safety, but also so a car can't block access to the gate.

NCSULandscaper
06-12-2003, 11:48 PM
I have 3 cones that i use all the time. I want to make sure people see me. One on the back corner of the trailer, one on the front corner of the truck and one in the middle just for the he** of it.

T.E.
06-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Yes, I use them every day.

EJK2352
06-12-2003, 11:57 PM
I do work in a town north of were I live and they mandate the use of orange safety cones. Get caught without them and pay a hefty fine. Before they came out with the cone law they were talking about absolutely no parking on any street. I went to a city counsel meeting to voice my opinion. Some people's driveways were too small to park a truck and trailer in. I also told them of the hazards of having to back into the street 20 times a day. They decided to drop the idea of no parking and mandated orange traffic cones to warn oncoming traffic. I always use the cones no matter were I'm working.

the scaper
06-13-2003, 12:05 AM
i always put out a couple of cones when i drop the gate. i've noticed that when there are no cones out people just fly past you and if the cones are out they tend to slow down a little more. i guess when they see orange they think something official is going on. i just think it looks a little more professional too. when working out around curb areas that cone might just be what saves your life some day- safety first! it only makes sense. :cool:

mtdman
06-13-2003, 12:07 AM
I have had a huge problem lately of people parking me in, right up on my gate. This is a good idear, one I never thought of. Thanks!

:D

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
06-13-2003, 12:17 AM
we cone off the the rig ,one in front and one in rear every time we are parked , this is good practice just to get you walking around the rig before you pull out just incase little Joey's big wheel didn't get parked in the wrong spot.

weedwoop
06-13-2003, 12:25 AM
I put them out in some locations where I have to work or mow at th edge of the road even if I'm not parked there ( lots of traffic or blind corners etc. ). Last year one day, I was putting out three cones where I mow up to the edge of a busy road, and a lady ran over the first one I put out before I put the next one down. Not good for the nerves.

GeorgiaGrassMan
06-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Looks professional and attracts attention. I figure the sign on my ramp gets a few extra looks because of the cones.

leadarrows
06-13-2003, 12:57 AM
I have some cones there in the barn. :o They go in the truck first thing in the morning. :) You get so busy and you worry so much about the big stuff some times the simple, but oh so important, things fall thu the cracks. As I was reading this post it occurred to me in this day and age of "I'll sue" the protection cones help give you is not limited just to safety issues. It might just make the difference in a negligent suit. Just a thought.

WPLE
06-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Anyone run strobes in there truck turn signals or anything like that? I have been thinking about hooking up some of those on my truck and trailer. Might be illegal but where I live I think I can get away with it. Plus they would be used in a legitimate manner. Our local power supplier has them in some of there trucks.

GeorgiaGrassMan
06-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Looks professional and attracts attention. I figure the sign on my ramp gets a few extra looks because of the cones.

hubb
06-13-2003, 02:40 AM
I always put them out when I'm parked on a busy road. I have a dually and some people can't seem to see it or the trailer when its moving let alone when its parked. I don't know if I'm more worried about safety or some idiot screwing up my livelyhood. :rolleyes:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-13-2003, 02:45 PM
If I am parked on a busy street I put up a mini barracade that has a reflective sign on it that reads " Caution, work ahead " I put that at the beginning of the clients property at least 15 feet behind the trailer, then I put 3 or 4 cones up between that and the trailer, then at the corner of the trailer I put a traffic barrel with a strobe light mounted on it ( for when the visibility is bad ) and then one cone in the middle of the truck and trailer and another at the front of the truck....

On side roads, I put a cone in front of the truck , in the middle and the barrel in back and a cone or two behind that ...

They only take a few seconds to set up , while your one guy is pulling the mower off the trailer the other is setting up the cones...

I also run a small strobe on the top of my riding mower for when I have to cross streets or run down the road a bit and there is either heavy trraffic or limited visibility......

I see so many companies not doing anything around here that it just bugs me .... People dont pay atttention while driving being on cell phones and such, that I have even had a person hit the barracade and it flew onto my clients lawn, another time some lady on a cell practically wound up in my trailer bypassing and running over the cones.. guess orange is not bright enough for some people.... It just pays to take extra steps for safety....

T.E.
06-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Well Guys I would never have thought that this would happen, but today I have my rig out working with the ramp gate down and a bright orang cone out where a blind person could see it. Then to my surprise a Woman pulls up behind me, eases past the cone and pulls her car up over the ramp while I,m standing there watching her. Parks the car and gets out and goes in the neighbors house. Needless to say I was in shock I had to get my help to drive the truck up four feet to just clear her car. Some people never cease to amaze me.:dizzy:

CMerLand
06-13-2003, 11:20 PM
I do now!!!!

Never used cones until the beginning of last season when I got my new trailer. Now why did I have a new trailer, you ask??? Cause some 80 something year old woman did exactly what you're all talking about and drove her Oldsmobuick right up the corner of the ramp and slammed into the side of the trailer. Guys had to run up to her as she was trying to back off the ramp to drive away.

Completely racked the trailer to the point of you could see the front of the rear tire (dual axle) as you drove down the road, tore the trailer ball down to about 6 inches off the ground, and tore the frame of the truck.

Second attachement to the trailer was a cone rack from gemplers. Already had the cones, just never used em till then.

CMerrick

Rhett
06-13-2003, 11:52 PM
Every time I stop. One goes on the corner of the trailer and one goes twenty or twent-five feet back to hopefully keep the idiots off of me. Had a lady run over the rear cone and drag it up the road while talking on her phone. Before the cones had one almost load up on the trailer while talking on her phone.

Toroguy
06-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Say yes to cones.

I quickly tired of placing a cone behind the trailer at every stop. I now wear the cone atop my head. I have received many compliments

leeslawncare
06-14-2003, 12:45 AM
I use them .

Art Stubbs handy 58
06-14-2003, 12:51 AM
:D Use the cones daily.........

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Put one in the front 2 in the back and one next to the tire on the trailer.

Also on realy busy streets and when it is getting dark use your hazzard flashers and/or a flashinmg strobe or rotation yellow becon ($20.00 at walmart or Murphys)

Mark P
06-22-2003, 04:10 PM
;) TE don't feel like your alone i had a lady run over two cones and ran up my gate and half way in the trailor, thank God she missed my Walkbehind in the front, plus ive been rearended two times while trying to make a turn and both just keep on going, i chased and van but could never get the plate number...no major damage to my trailor but one of the vans was tore up in the front..both were woman drivers......you see some of the dumbest things in this business people just don't wacth what they are doing now days everyones in a big bad hurry......Marks Mowing Service

IrishHank
06-22-2003, 04:39 PM
forgot the cones once, got hit once! The trailer survived, but the guy's tire did not. Lesson learned!

mowerman90
06-22-2003, 06:42 PM
On side roads, I put a cone in front of the truck , in the middle and the barrel in back and a cone or two behind that ...

Geeezz..........you must have some bad drivers in your area. Next thing you'll be setting up a roadblock/checkpoint. LOL

proenterprises
06-22-2003, 08:56 PM
JOB 1=BE SAFE!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

John Allin
06-22-2003, 09:00 PM
All crews are issued cones, and are expected to use them at every jobsite.

kris
06-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Besides safety it could help you in court if an accident was to happen. Itís part of due diligence. Crews on commercial sites are also required to wear safety vests.

FARMERlawn03
06-22-2003, 11:22 PM
After reading all these posts I am going to begin to use them even though some of my accounts i may not need them. Its better to be safe than sorry!

Jimmy348
06-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Where do I get em?
Cones for the ground I mean, not the one for your head :D

NNJLandman
06-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Jimmy you can try Traffic Safety Co. in Mahwah, NJ or Galls.com or Road Tech Inc. ??? Road Tech.com

But if you only what a few ride around a construction site :D You know what i mean

Gravely_Man
06-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Always use cones to mark the work area and try and keep people from parking right at the end of the trailer gate. I want to believe they help keep me safer but I am sure most people don't even notice them.

Gravely_Man

lugnut#6
06-23-2003, 07:01 PM
where ya get the ones for your head?...already have a point up there...should fit like a glove! :}-' <<<smilie with a cigerette(ya i know smoking will stunt my grow,just wish they would have told me sooner...im 6'3".

the scaper
06-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy348
Where do I get em?
Cones for the ground I mean, not the one for your head :D home depot

the scaper
06-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by mowerman90
Geeezz..........you must have some bad drivers in your area. Next thing you'll be setting up a roadblock/checkpoint. LOL you know what?, i always preach saftey first, but i agree, the barrel thing is just a LITTLE bit extensive. i'll have to give the road block a little thought though, i'm just not sure yet.

Jimmy348
06-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by NNJLandman
Jimmy you can try Traffic Safety Co. in Mahwah, NJ or Galls.com or Road Tech Inc. ??? Road Tech.com

But if you only what a few ride around a construction site :D You know what i mean

:D

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Traffic safety in Mahwah is where I have gotten most of my stuff.. I think AW direct has cones too...and northern tool too.. The ones at Home Depot are a bit toooo small for use in traffic....

Hey that barrel is quite noticible , more so than the cones... and its light and if you run out of pail s for grass clippings just flip it over and you have another garbage pail.. LOL.... But seriously .. They are not too expensive , you have plenty of room to letter them so they also act as advertising and they are highly visible...

Hey is anyone using those green cones ??? have not seen them in use yet, but was thinking abuot them cause they go with my green color scheme.. the truck and trailer are green so I though they would look good ... LOL... BUt are they more noticible than the orange ones ???

Potchkins
12-18-2003, 12:51 AM
scary! really scary!

olderthandirt
12-18-2003, 01:23 AM
I got a dam ticket for NOT using cones! now on every job cones, lights, and men working or mowing signs.

Mac

pinnacle
12-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Yep many cones!!

I do contract work for council here and have to work on alarge freeway distributor and drive my Z's on the road.

Here the list

2x Blaze bars on 2 vehicals (long orange beacons)

2x Orange beacons on Z's (pole mounted)

2x strobes mounted to rear of trailer.

Sinage..... and I set up these signs in this order.

"80 Km/h limit"
"Speed Limits are enforceable"

100m space

"Road plant ahead"

200m space

"Grass cutting in progress"

100m space

"Workmen ahead"

100m space

"Reduce speed NOW"

100m

"Prepare to stop"

300m

Me and my guys with orange reflective PPE gear.

Also carry a 5 of reflective baracades with strobes attached and around 30 or so cones.

Whats that you say?..............over kill!

Nup you should see where I work!!

Come home with skiddys in me pants some days (specialy in mist/fog) I've become quite good at the "wave down with one hand " slow down ya moreon thing.

SAFTY FIRST! especialy when working in close proximity to vehicals or on the roads with a 45mile an hour speed limit.

I had to do a traffic control course before I was able to do these works.

Something for those who want strobes..............Get beacons or Blaze bars cause the strobes are hard to see during the day time hours.

Qdriver
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Sounds like the Safety Sign biz makes a lot of money down under. lol:)

I have a safety barrel that the city left by the side of the road after some road work near my house was finished. I always look on the side of the highway while I am driving,... if I see something that looks good and serviceable... I pull over and get it..

I think cones are a great idea for safety, legal recourse and trailer life.

LawnPerfect
01-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I use the green cones.

one in front of the jeep, one behind the trailer. also through out a mowing ahead sign.

Avery
01-21-2004, 08:30 PM
If they are blind enough not to see a crew cab Chevy 4500 with a 16' landscape body I do not see how a little orange cone would have made any difference. Plus I am sure it will hurt them much more than it does me! :)

chefdrp
01-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I use them every time.

hole in one lco
01-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes i use cones . I thought it was the law.

thfireman
01-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Cones are a must the way everyone drives so fast through the hood. Around Charlotte a lot of the neighborhood streets are curvey and people drive too fast on them. Cones wont save you from these morons but it might be all you need to show you attempted to warn them.:mad:

LawnsByJon
02-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Curious as to where you guys picked up the "Mowing Ahead" signs.

I'm generally a traffic control wiz, even though I only run a cone or two behind my truck (no accounts on busy streets)

Anyway, I thought that just sounded cool, and I was wondering about it.