PDA

View Full Version : Exmark or Dixie Chopper

X-mow
06-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Which Mower do you think is better,Overall?

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-12-2003, 11:38 PM
I am partial to my Choppers for flat open production mowing, especially if the turf is long. They leave a nice clean cut especially with doubles.

Prefer my eXmarks for mulching the smaller landscaped props. & on hills.

Frosty_03
06-12-2003, 11:44 PM
I perfer the Exmark Lazer HP, I run a muching kit and it does one nice job.. I try to keep the baldes sharps and well balance. :cool: I also run a 48" Metro with floating deck and gator blades it too cut so nice.

LeoS818
06-12-2003, 11:52 PM
I would hope that only thoes who have used both would vote on this.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDIOT
I am partial to my Choppers for flat open production mowing, especially if the turf is long. They leave a nice clean cut especially with doubles.

Prefer my eXmarks for mulching the smaller landscaped props. & on hills. eXmarks, Toros, Walkers, and now Dixie Choppers, which is it?

You are so full of cha cha it's unreal.

I prefer Exmarks over DC and I "have" both.

Dixies will cut supper tall grass better than the Exmarks, but you have to double cut them anyways so the eXmarks still come out on top. Exmark disperses clippings better than any mower I have ever used.

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 12:11 AM
How about if I demoed a Dixie and own an Exmark??? Does my opinion count LeoS818??? I'm with LGF, I have yet to find a mower that disperses clippings as well as an Exmark.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-13-2003, 12:18 AM
I bought my first Chopper on a bet. Bet was I wouldn't buy that "ugly" mower over a new eXmark.

Haven't been dissapointed. Bought another the following year. Great mowers for our large flat com. accounts.

Jimmy348
06-13-2003, 12:50 AM
I looked at a dixie....got sick and purchased an exmark
That is one ugly machine
Reminds me of a soup can with the wrapper missing

Imow4u2
06-13-2003, 01:02 AM
That chopper may seem ugly to you but the reality of this situation is this machine is designed to cut grass,period!!...When I leave my accounts and look back over my shoulder I'm seeing what the customer and their neighbors will see until I return, A lawn that is cut clean and has a nice stripe...unless you were there when I was cutting how would you know my machine was ugly? How many on here leave their mowers on the job so eveyone can see how good the equipment looks??? Mine is at the next account making $$$$$$$

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
I bought my first Chopper on a bet. Bet was I wouldn't buy that "ugly" mower over a new eXmark.

Haven't been dissapointed. Bought another the following year. Great mowers for our large flat com. accounts. Lets see some pics with you sitting on it.

So far we have seen a 48" Exmark HP WB, a I would guess 36" Toro wb in a messy garage, a MM8000, and a trailer. Now you have to account for more Exmarks, 2 Dixie Choppers, a few Walker GHS's and 3-Isuzu SPR spray rigs.

Did I miss anything?

Jimmy348
06-13-2003, 01:22 AM
It's still a soup can.....It's just plain ugly
3-7 years ago I would have agreed with you but the reality of it all is that the competition has caught up and passed R&D with the Dixie.
If Dixie is so great.....where are the Dixie w/b's?
And I never said anything about the quality of the cut.
Remember......I purchased an exmark and although I can't compare it to the Dixie cut wise. I can say that the exmark exceeds my expectations.

And it looks pretty darn good too

:blob3:

However, if you ran this poll on **********.com you would most likely see a preference towards the Dixie.
And lighten up a bit, if the thing works then I wish you only the best.

lawncare3
06-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy348
I looked at a dixie....got sick and purchased an exmark
That is one ugly machine
Reminds me of a soup can with the wrapper missing

I really like the looks of ALL the dixies EXCEPT for The Silver Eagle.

JCLandWerks
06-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Trust me go with the EXMARK! THATS ALL I CAN SAY!

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 01:36 AM
JCLandWerks,
Boy you must not want to sell too many Dixies??????? Are you serious?????

JCLandWerks
06-13-2003, 01:41 AM
I AM SOOOO SERIOUS. Honestly in my opinoin I think the best two mowers would either be the Exmark(if you wanted to go with a gas mower) or the Kubota ZD(if you like the diesel mowers).

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Wow!!! I commend your honesty!!! I demoed a Dixie and was unimpressed to say the least. I have demoed a bunch of Z's and still haven't found an equal to my Lazer let alone a better mower. I'm demoing a Gravely Z this weekend. I'll post my findings ASAP.

ProMo
06-13-2003, 09:57 AM
my 6 yr old dixie looked ugly compared to my neihbors new ex when he got it about a year ago now his is faded and mine looks newer gotta love the stainless

lawn perfection
06-13-2003, 10:03 AM
STARTED WITH TWO EXMARK W/B, NOW I HAVE A LAZER ALSO, NEVER BEEN DISSAPOINTED WITH MY CHOICE.

TLS
06-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by LeoS818
I would hope that only thoes who have used both would vote on this.

I have used and owned both. ;)

And I can without any doubt, recommend the eXmark LAZER Z :D

They are far and away the better machine. From fit and finish, to build quality, to ease of maintenance, LAZERS are tops in every category.

Green Pastures
06-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Exmark, by far.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-13-2003, 07:31 PM
TLS, it looks by the pic that you may be comparing an older model Chopper to a newer Lazer. Hardly a fair comparison.

The Choppers will outcut a Lazer on many of our larger flat props..

John Gamba
06-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Lazer EPS

Mark P
06-13-2003, 08:44 PM
TLS man you keep your mowers very clean , is the Lazer new? Wish i could keep mine looken showroom new............Marks Mowing Service

crazygator
06-13-2003, 10:57 PM
I owned a DC last year. Sold it and bought an Exmark this year and would never go back. Exmark beats the dixie hands down on every count.

Plus you will find no dixie that can hold on a slope like the Exmark 52" HP!

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE IDIOT
TLS, it looks by the pic that you may be comparing an older model Chopper to a newer Lazer. Hardly a fair comparison.

The Choppers will outcut a Lazer on many of our larger flat props..

Again where are the pics of these, this is the first thread you claimed to have DC's, suddenly now you have Dixie Chopper.

I will take an Exmark Lazer EPS over a DC any day.

johnhenry
06-13-2003, 11:48 PM
That is a loaded ?.Now how many times is this ? asked thru the year.Both are great machines.I have a dixie and think very highly of the exmark.The botttom line is you can make money with both machines if you cant you dont belong in this business.Looks dont make money if it did most all of us would be poor:p If your smart you would try to have both.The exmark guys I tip my hat off to you.You have a great machine and you should be proud of it.But dont slam the dc guys because of looks or because the mower wasnt right for the properties you have.I have never slam exmark here.I know I am rambling on but I am so tired of seeing the dc bashing and this subject over &over.There are faults with every mower .If everyone had just one brand this industry it would be about ten times harder than it is now

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-13-2003, 11:59 PM
Good point Johnhenry.

I do, however, doubt your claim that DC is second in the ZTR market after eXmark. I was the first in my area that I know of to own a Chopper.

I am still impressed with the cut & speed of the DC on our larger props..

CO.d 502nd
06-14-2003, 12:10 AM
It seems that lgf's request for pictures from the ULTIMATE DILDO PUSHROD,fall on deaf ears or maybe the pushrod is blind and cant see the call for pics of his mower fleet.
Its those dull blades that caused the deaf and dumbness.Those side effects of fooling with them dull blades do take their toll.
You deaf or blind ULTIMATE DILDO?If YOU AINT LETS SEE THE PICS OF THAT FLEET OF MOWERS.

Jimmy348
06-14-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by johnhenry
That is a loaded ?.Now how many times is this ? asked thru the year.Both are great machines.I have a dixie and think very highly of the exmark.The botttom line is you can make money with both machines if you cant you dont belong in this business.Looks dont make money if it did most all of us would be poor:p If your smart you would try to have both.The exmark guys I tip my hat off to you.You have a great machine and you should be proud of it.But dont slam the dc guys because of looks or because the mower wasnt right for the properties you have.I have never slam exmark here.I know I am rambling on but I am so tired of seeing the dc bashing and this subject over &over.There are faults with every mower .If everyone had just one brand this industry it would be about ten times harder than it is now
Uh, last I checked this thread started as a simple poll on Exmark versus DC. I see nothing wrong with expressing your view considering the intent of the thread at its onset. So with that said.........
I still say it looks like a soup can:D

X-mow
06-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Aren't the controls harder to push on the Lazer's than the Dixie's

TLS
06-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by X-mow
Aren't the controls harder to push on the Lazer's than the Dixie's

Well, slightly. There are shock absorbers on just about every other ZTR except DC.

I think that they help me mow easier. I can let go of the sticks for a few seconds and they don't move. On the DC, if you let go of the sticks, and fart sideways your out of control! :D

As for the previous comment about an older DC versus a newer Lazer. My DC was a 1997 model, and I bought my Lazer in August of 2000. Sure DC made some improvements, but when it was time to buy, the LAZER was my FIRST choice by a mile. As I see the 2003's in the showroom, I still would buy a Lazer over a DC today for sure.

Now don't everyone get on my case about me DC bashing. I was THE #2 DC fan (next to Eric) for many years. I was even a Lazer basher back in the day before Lawnsite! Fending off the evil Lazer owners that came on the DC forum to bash them. Heck, I even named my Cat, "Dixie"!!! :eek: And for those that remember, my screen name used to be "dixie1".

So, I served my time, fought in the trenches for DC. Its just that I couldn't take the point that Exmark was manufacturing a BETTER ZTR for my uses. I had no option but to jump ship. I reluctantly did, and never looked back.

Will I consider DC when it comes time to buy another ZTR?

Perhaps, but if they keep on with the SAME OLD DESIGN, and keep hunkin' on trendy add-ons like Flex decks and soda coolers (WTF??). I'll just remain with Exmark. They had THE BEST ZTR available all through the 1990's. It was dated then, but no-one gave them any competition. Now, they have more competition then they can count, and they're still building 1980's technology mowers in the year 2003.

I think I'm done now!

Lawn Tek
06-15-2003, 02:31 PM
What size mower are we talking ?
In the 72 inch gas class, Exmark has nothing that will mow with an XT 3000 Dixie Chopper ,.
Exmark electric clutch 200.00 Dixie Chopper manual clutch 0.00
Exmark no O D C Dixie Chopper comes with it
Dixie Chopper has no nationwide warranty, they won't make a dealer work on your machine if you did not buy it there.
Exmark does , proven v i a e mail from factory.
Dixie Chopper owners manual look like an 8 th grade class make them .

rodfather
06-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
Good point Johnhenry.

I do, however, doubt your claim that DC is second in the ZTR market after eXmark.

Would someone PLEASE direct me to that government report or agency that can, without a doubt, show that eXmark (or anyone else for that matter) is #1 in the sales of ZTR's, please. I find it hard to believe that just because it "seems" to be the most favorite of Z owners here on LS that automatically this qualifies it as being the #1 seller.

Or this this just heresay???

CO.d 502nd
06-15-2003, 07:07 PM
I dunno rod ,exmark claims themselves on their website and in every brosure ive ever got from em to be the number one seller of commercial mowing equipment period .

John Gamba
06-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Maybe this Is Why?

Lawn Tek
06-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Yea , and World Com , Enron , and Global Crosssing would never cook their books neither . :D

1grnlwn
06-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Bla Bla Bla. It's no suprise that the people that were DC cult supporters have jumped ship to Exmark. Sheep, lemmings, lawnsite experts, its nature. I remember when I first joined LS i asked a serious question about DC deck jumping out of the setting during mowing. I was quite rudely reminded that if I didn't own one or demo one, I was to keep my mouth shut about negitive items. True or not. Upon demoing one this spring I asked the rep whats this? Oh that is a lock we have designed to keep the deck from jumping out and scalping the grass. Now who knows how long this cult of DC can-do-no wrongs delayed the design of this simple fix. The exmark i Demoed was a good mower I am not sure it was best in any catagory. I believe it was high in most. I never hear any little problems with exmarks design. Why is this? Their perfect? UH HUH right. The louder people boast the more I look for what they are hiding.

Here is a hint to people who are getting ready to spend $9000 . Don't take any advise from some Jack@** on a computer. Go try these Machines. Talk to the people who will stand behind the tool. Learn the trade and how your machine likes to be operated. Money can and is being made with every machine mentioned on this site. Everybody thinks there machine is best.

It's good to hear the good things about equip/ as well as the bad. I am not suprised to see someone with an averocon of X brand mower bashing the other brands. Heck It must be there whole identity. Everywhere you look it's x-brand this x-brand that(I'm sorry I should have used Y brand so as not to offend a certain brand) Lets get real. All these things cut grass. Primarily they use two brands of engines. Both good. The hyd systems are a wash. So its comfort and percieved cut quality , opinion and price that really matter and this accounts for about 15 percent of the machine. So it really doesn't matter what you buy. As long as YOU like it. And it's horrible but everyone builds a lemon and the guys that end up with them should do a better job of realizing it and shut-up. More later.....

rodfather
06-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Maybe this Is Why?

John

Customer Satisfaction Ratings...a definite maybe.

Initial Sales...still no answer who is #1.

All I'm reading/seeing is marketing/advertising publicity.

John Gamba
06-16-2003, 07:42 AM
They Are Number One For a Lot Of reason's, Like a Dealer Network Second to None,

And I'm Not Just a Computer Jackass I'm In The Brochure And On the Mower.

Like said, It Wasn't The Best In Any category BUT I Believe The BEST In Most!!!

John.

rodfather
06-16-2003, 06:34 PM
I guess I am not making myself clear.:(

I am still waiting for someone to direct me to a place (website, government agency, business bureau, statistics offce, anything, etc.) that can unequivocally prove that eXmark (or any other manufacturer for that matter) SELLS more ZTR's than anyone else.

I would like to see PROOF, not heresay, advertising mumbo jumbo, marketing and advertising jargon and/or customer satisfaction numbers. Just Bottom Line results...it would be interesting I think.:)

TLS
06-16-2003, 10:51 PM
While I'd like to see these figures posted, I still have no reason to doubt that Exmark sells the most LAWNMOWERS than ANY other COMMERCIAL lawnmower MANUFACTURER.

There are manufacturers on that people post about on here that I NEVER heard of if it weren't for LS or a trade publication.

Exmark, however is NATIONWIDE.

rodfather
06-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by TLS
There are manufacturers on that people post about on here that I NEVER heard of if it weren't for LS or a trade publication.

Me too...in fact eXmark (and DC) was two of them. They are virtually unheard of in my parts. All Ferris, Scag, Toro, and Bobcat in these neck of the woods.

But.................like I said, who's got the proof who sells the most Z's?

TLS
06-17-2003, 08:54 AM
It would definately be between....

Exmark

SCAG

Toro

As popular as Ferris is in your area, they are far from the calibur I mentioned above. Very possible that they beat DC though!

As for most regular mowers manufactured, I think that goes to MTD or AYP or Murray. Theres a parent company in there somewhere that builds a lot of the homeowner mowers out there.

Lawn Tek
06-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Figures don't lie
But Liars can figure

Privately held companies , and as we have all seen in the past few years , publicaly traded companies all lie about their numbers .

perry
06-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Exmark

rob1325
06-17-2003, 11:47 PM
I really doesn't matter who sells the most machines. I know I don't buy a machine because everyone else buys it. I buy a machine that is best for me and meets my needs.

John Gamba
06-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Go to www.opei.org And see If You Get your answer. please Tell Me what you Find.
Thank's John.

Toroguy
06-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy348

If Dixie is so great.....where are the Dixie w/b's?

My thoughts exactly. Im a cheapskate and live by the WB.

This is a difficult poll due to not mentioning a specific model versus another equal model from the competition.

I voted for my WB and the company with the larger revenue...eXmark.