PDA

View Full Version : Blades Dulling

X-mow
06-12-2003, 11:04 PM
I've noticed that new blades don't dull as quick as blades that have been sharpened a few times, anybody know why?

LAWNGODFATHER
06-12-2003, 11:07 PM
They don't have a super sharp edge on them. A sharp edge will dull faster than a blunt edge.

Eg: When I put brand new blades on a mower I can let them go for 3 days before they have to be sharpened, then every night in prime season thereafter.

Darryl G
06-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Are they getting too hot when being sharpened? This could cause them to loose their temper. I know I'm more prone to loosing my temper when I get too hot. :D

X-mow
06-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Yeah that must be it

greenman
06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by X-mow
I've noticed that new blades don't dull as quick as blades that have been sharpened a few times, anybody know why?

New blades are dull anyway, they aren't sharpened. They just have an edge/angle on them. I always sharpen new blades before I put them on.

Auroris
06-16-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by greenman
New blades are dull anyway, they aren't sharpened. They just have an edge/angle on them. I always sharpen new blades before I put them on.
Same here. New blades are not sharp enough to even really "cut" a blade of grass. They leave the blades looking like you just cut them with a dull blade (tattered, light colored tips).

Phishook
06-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Has anyone tried to get a set of blades cyrogenically (sp) tampered.

coalburner
06-16-2003, 03:05 AM
I tried some flame sprayed powered tungsten on a set of blades a while ago, boy what a mistake. Works great on brush hog blades but not on finish mower blades.

ducky1
06-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Hey coalburner, what went wrong with the flame sprayed stuff of finish blades?? I was thinking about trying some of it. I thought it was pretty expensive but would like to try it.

CO.d 502nd
06-16-2003, 07:02 AM
They dont come razor sharp from the factory.So when you get em razor sharp they dull quicker.I put on a fresh set every morning and then about mid way though the cutting day put on another fresh set during heavy growth in pring early summer.When the growth slows in the heat of summer i'll go couple of days before changes

coalburner
06-16-2003, 07:28 AM
ducky
It really is a super strong coating but you will never sharpen the blades again (I tried) The intense heat takes the strength out of the cutting edge and it rolls the edge down when you hit something.

ducky1
06-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey coalburner what side of the blades did you use that stuff on. I had a salesman tell me to only use it on the bottom side and let the top wear off and stay sharp longer. He also said that I could use it in the air lift area to cut down on wear on the lift part of the blade.

TLS
06-16-2003, 11:36 PM
:D

coalburner
06-17-2003, 01:33 AM
The salesman told us to spray it on the top and sharpen the bottom. I thought he was nuts. I sprayed the wing also but where I feathered the tungsten out it started wearing really fast where the metal got hot but did not get any tungsten. I did it the way he showed us, heated the metal, when it turned black I sprayed the powder on with three passes and then heated it up till it combined with the metal.
I didnít have any luck slowing down the wear on the wing and it usually goes before the cutting edge is worn out.
Give it a try and tell us what you think, for me I will just buy another set of blades and go on.

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-22-2003, 02:30 PM
I amlost always end up sahrpening new blades before use,

I balance the new blades for the fun of it and find that most are not balanced.

So I sharpen both sides and balance the brades before use

KLComp
06-22-2003, 05:44 PM
I use scag marbane blades. New they cut so clean. Then when they need sharpening I use a belt sander. It seems to make the blades last much longer and stay sharper longer. Hope I helped.

Nick
06-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Maybe you should start cutting grass, not dirt. BEsides that the correct angle of the edge for the conditions will help.

Gravely_Man
06-23-2003, 12:03 PM
I always sharpen and balance new blades. New blades are not really sharp to begin with.

Gravely_Man