PDA

View Full Version : (all-terrain z-rider) ATZ Hustler


AZT
06-13-2003, 12:16 AM
What is it and what does it look like. I here it is the newest thing Hustler has. How about it mowerconsultant. Has anybody seen it yet.

lawncare3
06-13-2003, 01:26 AM
I saw it about 1 month ago. Basically it's a hustler ztr with a roll bar. Looks kind of like a go-cart.

captken
06-13-2003, 05:11 AM
there was a thread in the Hustler forum about a month ago with pictures of a prototype machine.
You can probably find it by doing a search on this site.

mowerconsultant
06-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by AZT
What is it and what does it look like. I here it is the newest thing Hustler has. How about it mowerconsultant. Has anybody seen it yet.

Yup, I have seen it and drove it.
This unit will be for hill mowing.
The design of the unit, balance and weight transfer on the ATZ lends itself to awesome hillsiding.
It is a lot more than a Super Z with a rollcage, the unit has a extended frame for better stability on slopes, it has weight added to the frame, to help make it stick to slopes better, and has a different pump and wheel motor combo.
I will have some pricing and engine option info available soon.

Later
Pj
.
.

mowerconsultant
06-13-2003, 11:14 AM
....

PaulJ
06-14-2003, 06:43 PM
If it's so great on hills, why do you need a roll bar??:rolleyes: :D ;)

longviewlawncare
06-14-2003, 06:46 PM
the rollbar is just for safety. There will always eb someone that wants take a machine to its limits or beyond. And if that machine rollsover the hustler will see affects of it in some way.

PaulJ
06-15-2003, 10:00 AM
I know the rollbar is for safety because , like you saids, some people will always try to push thier machines beyond thier limits. Maybe more mowers should have roll cages. I was just giving Pj a hard time;)

wriken
06-15-2003, 10:21 AM
not for sure, but will a z actually roll over, I don't want to be the first to do it LOL:( , But I do some very steep banks, along roadsides etc. I'll get some pics maybe this week, if I have time, but back to the question, I've to the point as to where the rear tires slide down the bank. Could be that I have a pretty good sidehiller as it is. This is it, alot wider then a 60", I'm doing slopes now that used to have the 48" w/b do. I'll probably get bashed for this post.:)

MOW ED
06-15-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm not gonna bash you but I will tell you that any mower will roll over in the right circumstances. Z's included.
Catch a root with those tires sliding sideways and off it goes.

There was a homwowner in Wisconsin killed when he rolled his Lazer down a ditch into the water. You have a wide stance on that mower but being careful is the name of the game. Good Luck.

DLCS
06-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by wriken
not for sure, but will a z actually roll over, I don't want to be the first to do it LOL:( , But I do some very steep banks, along roadsides etc. I'll get some pics maybe this week, if I have time, but back to the question, I've to the point as to where the rear tires slide down the bank. Could be that I have a pretty good sidehiller as it is. This is it, alot wider then a 60", I'm doing slopes now that used to have the 48" w/b do. I'll probably get bashed for this post.:)

Well, all it takes is to slide down a hill or bank and catch a wheel in a rut and a rollover will happen. There has been many people who have rolled a ztr and been killed. I'm not saying your machine isn't excellent at staying on hills but don't get to comfortable in thinking that it will not roll. But, I have to say the bigger the deck the less likely of a rollover.

karlInSanDiego
06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Are the bar-tread ag tires on the pictured ATZ mounted backwards? All other tractors that I've seen with this tread have it runningh the other way. Is there an advantage to mounting them this way, or did someone just pop the wheels on the wrong side?

I'm asking because I'm currently trying to get an old Grasshopper (model 1600BT similar to modern 616)
http://www.grasshoppermower.com/03/products/frontmount/600/616.html
set up to mow a large steep slope. My ag tires (Carlisle SuperLug 18x9.5-8) helped a lot over the worn out turf tires that came with it. I'm adding water ballast to the tires (70 lbs. total), and if that helps but doesn't solve traction problems, I'll probably make wheel weights out of cast iron. I have no problem going downhill or (backing uphill), as mine is a front mount and when I'm going downhill the weight shifts to my drivewheels.

I should mention that the lawn is actually a meadow that I'm just keeping under control. It is not groomed turf. When the weeds get too high, the critter population spikes, plus the county folks get all hot under the collar since this is brush fire country.

I'd appreciate any pointers you guys could give about improving traction.

John Gamba
06-17-2003, 06:43 PM
LOL!

wriken
06-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DLCS
Well, all it takes is to slide down a hill or bank and catch a wheel in a rut and a rollover will happen. There has been many people who have rolled a ztr and been killed. I'm not saying your machine isn't excellent at staying on hills but don't get to comfortable in thinking that it will not roll. But, I have to say the bigger the deck the less likely of a rollover.

ya my $@@@! are not that big, that was the only way that I could see it actually tipping over, or slide down a bank and come to rest against the retaining wall could do it also. Thank god the roadside ditches that I do don't have any roots or trenches, I walk them the 1st time to get a feel of the bank. If it does'nt feel right the trimmers do it. I don't get too comfy, I notice I sweat more LOL, when I'm doing a bank.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
06-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Can you turn a Z over????????????? YES YOU CAN, I slide all the way down a hill and off a retaining wall, damn near cut my arm off.:eek: :blush: So dont think you can go anywhere on a mower!It will hurt you

wriken
06-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
Can you turn a Z over????????????? YES YOU CAN, I slide all the way down a hill and off a retaining wall, damn near cut my arm off.:eek: :blush: So dont think you can go anywhere on a mower!It will hurt you

almost did the same thing, except the wall stopped me, thank god.

John Gamba
06-18-2003, 06:24 AM
If There are Big Hill's To Do i Have Used One Of these. John

John Gamba
06-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Look's Like Grasshopper Beat you to It!

P&J Lawncare
06-18-2003, 05:43 PM
my super can do better than that

P&J Lawncare
06-18-2003, 05:44 PM
one more

John Gamba
06-19-2003, 06:12 AM
Sideway's!

wriken
06-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Sideway's!

that guy looks like he's over reacting, hill/slope does'nt look that bad. LOL

John Gamba
06-19-2003, 07:25 AM
I Just think It's Cute, I do Big Hill's with The lazers All the time Even With Baggers No Big Deal.
John

FrankenScagMachines
06-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by wriken
looks
Yeah it may LOOK like it but if you were on it you would feel differently probably. Many hills and slopes are worse in person than in pic. Look at the trees, they are very near perfect vertical usually and will give a good indication of how steep the slope is. Can't find the protractor but looks to me about 30-35 degree slope. There may be some of you guys would be just fine with a rider on that but any steeper and I would want a w/b. I've run Z's on slopes before and I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've heard lots of stories from LS/LM members that slid a Z into a pond or over a retaining wall. It's almost like it's something to brag about :confused:

finmower
06-21-2003, 05:40 AM
Pic is not all the truth, slope is near 45 degrees.
If you get few degrees more you fall down.
Those big lug tires keeps like glue.
But, only dry conditions.
I it rains, you better forget this kind of slopes.