PDA

View Full Version : Ethical??

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 04:07 AM
I have a LCO that subs me all their lawn apps. I got a call from one of their full service customers for shrub trimming. I offer full lawn care service and do shrub trimming for their neighbor. I returned the call and asked why they don't have their LCO do the shrub trimming?? They said that they are too expensive when it comes to anything but mowing. My question is what would you guys do?? Give them a price?? Decline?? I really don't need the work, I have a list of work thats about a mile long. I don't want to upset either party. What to do???

hubb
06-13-2003, 04:45 AM
I would call the other LCO and ask if he minds. If it is any way uncomfortable to you or him I would'nt do it.

I think we need more co-operation between LCO's. It would make it alot easier for us to hold our prices up the standards that make us money.

cos
06-13-2003, 04:56 AM
That's all you do is call the other LCO and tell them that they called and asked for shrub trimming. The other guy would probably say just go ahead and do it. If you do it with telling him, and he sees ya, you won't get any more refferals.

GarPA
06-13-2003, 05:29 AM
I'd also call the other guy....one job is not worth the ugliness that could come from the situation

Brendan
06-13-2003, 05:41 AM
If you have too much work at the moment then the answer is simple, inform the person requesting the work that you are too busy.

The decision to tell the LCO that you were asked to do the work but declined, well that's up to you. You need to would weigh up the advantages, disadvantages and politics of such action.

Brendan.

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
That LCO subs you work. To me that means that you are doing something that he doesn't do or can't do. You aren't mowing there. He does offer trimming services. Without him you probably wouldn't be working there.

In my mind the decision is simple. You inform the client that you are only subbing out the apps on this property and any request for other service has to go thru the LCO. My question is this, if you did take the job would you charge less than the LCO for the property?

There are other options but none of them seem that good. If you accept one job then the customer may look for something else. Before you know it they are asking you to mow and then you pi$$ off the guy that got you the work in the first place. It sounds like you don't need the work and I would rather pass on 1 job than lose my subbing business. My 2 cents. Good Luck.

65hoss
06-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Mow Ed is correct.

If you would have said it correctly when they first asked you, then you wouldn't have any issues now. "I'm sorry, I only do the applications for him, all other stuff must go thru him." Problem solved. As it is, you opened yourself to the problems. She is wanting you to lowball your LCO sub-contracting you.

I would call her and tell her that you only do the applications for him. She needs to contact him about the shrubs. Then call him immediately and let him know she contacted you about the shrubs and you told her to call him for that.

Runner
06-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Exactly. It would be easy to see it from one perspective that this guy "isn't doing it" anyway, but we don't know that for sure. The main thing is, the customer may have been a little quick to say "We'll think about it.' or "We'll get back with you". when they can easily consider you may do it FOR them. But, they may ALSO end up going back to their lawn care co. and having him do it anyway, even though he WAS a bit "high priced" to them first. This holding out may benefit him in the longer run. Let HIM have it.

Remsen1
06-13-2003, 12:51 PM
As a sub-contractor it would definitely be unethical to accept the job unless you got permission from the main contractor.

Ethics 101.

It doesn't sound like you would want this anyway, you're already too busy, and who really wants a customer who shops around based on price alone?

EJK2352
06-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Since my schedule is jammed as it is, I called them to tell them I am too busy at the time. Told them to call the mowing company and discuss the price w/ them. I called the LCO to tell them I was approached about a price for shrub trimming. I told them that I don't want to step on anyones toes!! They thanked me for the heads up.

crazygator
06-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Good for you, you made the correct decision.

Also remember, this other LCO provides you with a whole lot more than this "ONE" customer could ever pay you.

Now you have proven they can trust you, and I am sure you will start getting a whole lot busier from the other LCO.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by EJK2352
I told them that I don't want to step on anyones toes!! They thanked me for the heads up.

Pat(on back) Pat(on back) Pat(on back)!!!

Good job.....

Guy I do some sub work for, a lady asked me to do some work for her, I wrote it down and handed it to him and told him to contact her to confirm.

Evan528
06-13-2003, 10:36 PM
I do alot of sub application work for another landscaper in my area also. Very often I have these same people calling me asking me for mulching, trimming etc. I am honest with them and tell them I only do apps for this company and I have made an agreement to only do so for his customers. Most people understand.

BRL
06-14-2003, 12:42 AM
I would have called the LCO immediately. Then if the LCO agrees, get their price for that particular job and give the customer a bid $50.00 or so higher than their current LCO, as long as that bid is equal to or more than my price for the work. Then the customer may see the value of them in a different light, and hopefully the LCO would get the job. This helps the LCO, which makes them appreceiate your work for them more, and hopefully leads to more app work for you ;)