PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS3000 DEMO

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 07:40 AM
Well by luck or not I was behind because of a rain out and I called my dealer to see if he had any demos. A Ferris IS3000 came in and he let me use it for a couple days.

I am a Walker operator in real life but man was I impressed by the suspension of the Ferris. The mower i had was a 25HP Kawi which isn't my first choice but it was what the demo came with. I can say that the suspension system is UNREAL. It works as advertised. I have some very rough lawns that beat me to death on a Walker and this mower sailed over them.
We had tremendous growth because of alot of rain and the mower did a nice job of cutting.

For an all out production mower this thing did fine by me. It also climbed hills like a goat. It did better than the Walker on some of my challenging properties.

I have it for another day (Friday) and this is the big test. Steep riverside hills.

I am still going to demo the Exmark and the Hustler within the next few weeks but so far this guy is a tough competitor. I know it beats the heck out of a Scag and a Yazoo/Kees in all respects.

Lombardi
06-13-2003, 10:07 AM
I looked at the one that has a 72" deck and the Cat diesel. Looks like a good machine. Has anyone demoed this one yet?

TLS
06-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Open ends on the front frame rails.....Just looking for junk to get in there.

Not a very deep looking deck.

Very high spring towers. The dust caps on top of the casters is the normal height of a ZTR, the spring towers look to be almost a foot taller! Can you say "getting in the way of low branches?"

Very LONG looking chassis. Website puts the dimensions similar to most 60" class machines, but this somehow looks longer?

1223lbs is rather fat for an AC ZTR!

Small drive tires, and narrow casters for that matter too.

As for the big 72" full susp. machine. It would be nice for big parks or rough areas, but its just TOO much weight at 1908lbs thats almost DOUBLE what a 52" ZTR weighs!

They have their place, but I feel that they are a specialty ZTR, and over optioned for everyday use.

But these are just my opinions, and I'm entitled to them! :D

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Tommy,
You are right on many counts with your observations.

The shallow deck was a pain. That hindered me in thick grass. I had to go back and chop it with the Walker 52"SD w/doubles. No matter how much I double cut and double cut, the clippings didnt go away. It wasn't that bad yesterday but I had real long wet stuff today.

The spring towers are high and do hit low branches. They also crack you in the knee when you get off at the right angle.:mad:

Its about 80" long. I fit it and a Walker with a 52" deck on my trailer (14') but there was only about 4" to spare.

Drivers were small on this one 23's. The extreme has 24's but I would have thought them to be wider.

The machine is heavy but I have to say that the suspension does work.

As for the hill test. It failed. I don't think any midmount would pass. I almost sailed it down and tore the snot out of the lawn trying not to slip down the hill. I had to get my Walker and finish. I will give Hustler and Exmark a try also. Not optimistic for any of them but I know the Walker can do it and I will always have one of those on the trailer.

As for the 72 with the diesel, the mechanic at the shop demoed one and said he didn't like it. Too heavy and it kinda threw ya. I don't need one of those anyway.

All in all I really liked the suspension the most. It was smooth. The other things have to be fixed before I'd get one. Thats why ya demo.

jsaunders
06-13-2003, 07:35 PM
The extreme seat is much better then the regular seat. I do like the 27 hp kohler, it is also quieter than the kaw. 25. The other thing that I don't like is the deck thickness- 3 1/2 - 4" ? And the seat hight is also high, next to the exmark there is a noticable difference.
The ferris does have 0% intrest for 1 year then it's 6.9% after that. What was the price$$$$? Thanks Joel

MOW ED
06-13-2003, 08:57 PM
The price on that one was around 8500.00 the 27 was 9200 I think.

johnhenry
06-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Ed have the dealer adjust the suspension.It shouldnt go zooming down the hill.I have a 3000 and it can go on hills here in the ozarks with no problems and we have some very steep hills.The 3000 will push the frame down to the ground as the mower goes down the hill.I have found it to go on hills much better than any front mount.For hills the exmark nor hustler can match the ferris.Tell the dealer to adjust the unit sometimes they come out of sinc from the company

jsaunders
06-14-2003, 02:09 PM
My local dealer who I've bought my mowers and alot of quipment from said i could have the extreme with the 27 hp kohler for $8700. Another dealer said the best they could do was $9200.:rolleyes:

rodfather
06-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by jsaunders
My local dealer who I've bought my mowers and alot of quipment from said i could have the extreme with the 27 hp kohler for $8700. Another dealer said the best they could do was $9200.:rolleyes:

Why pay $8700 for the extreme when you can get the IS300 for $7700? For an additional $1000, all you get is a better seat and bigger tires. Same air cleaner is on both units, too.

I know this cause we mow for the #1 Ferris Distributor in the US. And I have had like 15 Ferris mowers over the past 9 years. Buy the IS3000 and save yourself a grand.

jsaunders
06-14-2003, 06:08 PM
It must be nice to mow for the dist. of ferris. I would pick up the regular is3000 if I could get it for $7700, BUT my dealer is selling them for $8200 so for $500 I'm getting 2 more hp, a better seat and better front and rear tires, it's a smart buy- If it was a $1000 difference that is totally another story.
Maybe you can set me up with a deal????:p
Joel

General Grounds
06-14-2003, 10:53 PM
:blob3: lombardi, the IS 5000, is AWESOME, tons of power and cuts very well, very nice machine.

i was told that ferris will be producing a smaller version of the 5000, with a 27 hp cat, and will have a 60" deck on it, will sell for about $11,000

Tvov
06-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Our new Ferris IS3000 has been great since we got it two months ago. It sounds like we got the exact one that you are using as a demo. The 25hp Kawi has plenty of power. I didn't want the LC 27 because of all the stories I heard about difficulty with maintenance, and problems with the radiator / hoses.

The suspension works fine, and is very easily adjustable. We haven't run into any problems with the spring towers, either hitting branches or legs hitting them getting on or off.

It has been great on steep hills, we haven't lost control yet (!).

We've been pleased with its ability to mow wet grass with all the rain, maybe we just haven't used the other deck styles you guys are talking about.

Just our experience with it.

WeedSeed
06-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Tvov

The suspension works fine, and is very easily adjustable.

The suspension is what keeps me coming back to look at Ferris. I am torn between getting a Kubota ZD18 or an IS3000ZF or ZX Extreme.
I have some bumpy stuff to mow, and would really like to be able to adjust the suspension. How soft could you get it before it started affecting the cut quality?

Weed

Tvov
06-15-2003, 02:42 PM
We've got our Ferris on the second-to-sofest setting, and it doesn't seem to adversly affect the cut quality. Obviously, when you hit a big bump, the suspension flexes and the deck mows a low spot, but that would happen without a suspension. It seems that the low cut occurs after the bump, instead of at the bump like a non-suspension mower would do.

In general, we don't see a difference.

Tvov
06-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by TLS
1223lbs is rather fat for an AC ZTR!

About the weight, the LC 27hp Exmark is 1200+lbs, and considering how many are buying the LC engined Exmarks, I don't really see all that much of a difference relating to the weight.

I've had others ask about the weight of our Ferris, and I tell them that I don't really see a difference.

Most all the ZTRs are good machines, they just have different features, so find the one that you like.

1grnlwn
06-15-2003, 07:48 PM
I have demoed this year an Exmark, Ferris and a Dixie. The Exmark was by far the roughest ride I have ever experienced and poor to ferris standards on hillsides. In fact while mowing a semi water filled ditch I slid down and got stuck. I mow this ditch with my old ferris every week. Those skinny tires make a lot smaller divot when you are in a hurry , forget what you are doing or training new guys. I didn't even have the guts to try the dixie on the hill. The Dixie cut great and was the only one to stripe the grass first cut. But they got that thing wound up so tight 3900 no load rpm and that insane blade speed it made me nervous. But the killer was the 5/8 " distance between the cut settings. That is ridiculous! They had better step up to Industry standards or give up. I demmoed the ferris 4000 which is the horizontal motor 27 hp kaw it was to big in the back for my taste. Oh those open tubes in front are a great place to insert an electric spreader. Bigger and faster is not always better and someday the industry will realize this. Oh I ended up with a toro Z master. Its # 1 is absolutly 0 catagories. And I got a 62" 27 kaw with 69 hrs for $6000. Money talks BS walks. Oh and it cuts grass. And it's for the help. I'm using the ferris! Just my EXPERIENCE.

LawnsRUsInc.
06-15-2003, 10:57 PM
FERRIS ALL THE WAY

I dont want to come off as one of those people that are like all chevy or all ford. The ferris has replaced every thing we run. Reasons the mower it self sits lower than other units. I dont have probelms with the deck not being deep enough i just checked and all other brands that are compriable units have the same deck depth. the shock towers bumped your knees iam 6 foot and i have had zero implications with that. And mow ed you said that the is 3000 was 80" long and that has a 61" deck and that your walker with a 52" deck you ended up with 4" to spare on you 14' trailer that comes out to be that your walker is 85.3 inches. Weed seed the suspension is easy you just need to adjust it with the shock wrench and it all depends on the riders weight. It wouldnt bottom out where a non suspesioned machine "might".

Jason

WeedSeed
06-15-2003, 11:41 PM
I'm really on the fence on this one. The suspension really sounds like it would make it easier on the driver. I can get an Extreme for an excellent price, but the 0% financing and diesel on Kubota keeps me looking that way also.

I'm curious if any of you have compaired the ride quality of the front suspended IS1000 over non suspended units. A little less mower, but way less price.

Weed

MOW ED
06-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked the ride that the ferris gave me. It was the smoothest I ever had over some very rough properties. I am used to a front mount deck. I can get the front mount in low places, the Ferris (and other midmounts) can't do that but it isn't a major issue.
The cut was the real issue with me and mayby I am too critical because I am comparing it to the Walkers cut. I really had issues with having to double cut over and over and not really getting anywhere at some properties. I had sharp new blades. Mayby doubles or gators would do a better job, its not my mower so I don't know if those things would work or not. It had trouble throwing grass far enough away so it wasn't piling up. This wasn't everywhere but it was at a few real good growing properties.
At some properties the mower was excellent, others I couldn't use it. The hills I do are steep and wet with morning dew. I have not found 1 midmount Z that will hold the hill and cut without sliding or spinning. It did not want to do this hill, its a picture from last fall but it spun and almost ran away. I tore it up trying to keep it on the upside. The picture is decieving and the area in question is right below the stone wall. If you look to the right there are railroad ties holding up the middle section of lawn. That is a 3 foot drop off those ties down towards the river. Its like an 8-12 pitch there. There are other steep areas that it just don't wanna go when shes wet. I have to have that ability.
My Walkers weight is distributed differently and I can go right to the hills even if it is pouring rain.
The funny thing is that I have another property that has 2 berms and the Walker cant go up them, the Ferris walked up like a mountain goat.
I know the Walker is long, I was just stating what I found when I measured it. The Ferris and Walker fit on my trailer, I need the Walker and if space was an issue I can fold the deck up and get an extra 2 feet . All midmounts are relatively small compared to a Walker.

MOW ED
06-16-2003, 06:32 AM
heres from lower

MOW ED
06-16-2003, 06:33 AM
heres a neighbor I also do and ferris won't