PDA

View Full Version : I mowed a neibors lawn and they got pissed????

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 01:20 PM
We built our house last year and 4 day's after we closed on it I had to go to Afghanistan. My buddy also a LCO could not take care of my yard he was too busy and my house is way out of his way, I left it up to my wife to find someone to mow while I was gone. Well it took her a couple weeks and it was new sod so she new to let it root good before the first mow , it was about 6" tall and the women behind us came over and offered to mow. She caught my wife by surprise and my wife said sure go ahead. Well I have been seeing their yard grow and grow and grow. Some parts were 2 feet tall looks real bad, we have and in ground pool in our back yard and we have to look at this jungle growing behind us, not to mention the snake breeding ground it has a possibility to become. I said something to my wife about it "why are they letting their yard get like that??" she told me the women has a broken leg and can't mow, the man of the house is a pot head and won't mow. Well I finished up early yesterday and decided to mow the jungle down. No body was home, I left a tag on the door just letting them know who mowed their lawn I have a blank (write in) spot on my door tag I wrote "Freebie have a nice weekend). I received and email from the guy this morning telling me not to mow their lawn again. If they want it mowed they would call me. WTF??? I replied to his email telling him I was not trying to get his business that I was just trying to be neighborly and I would not mow his yard again. And told him I was sorry if Offended him by my kindness. That was not what I wanted to write though. Some people????

Bob

Remsen1
06-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Don't ya love people like that:rolleyes:

Hawkeye5
06-13-2003, 01:56 PM
No good deed goes unpunished!

mrbenfer
06-13-2003, 01:58 PM
There is a older ladie that lives neer me that has knee problems...... When we first moved into this area i noticed this yard and decided that she would prob need some help.. I was 14 at the time. I mowed her yard i think 3 or 4 times before i got a thankyou or a wave from her as she was backing out of her driveway. Well now i'm 17 and i'm still mowing her yard.. To be honest with you guys, i havent talked to this ladie since. She has spoken to my dad last year around christmas time but thats it. I havent even got a christmas card! Haha. I guess she might put me in her will.... :) Its nice helping out someone who needs the help.

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 02:14 PM
mrbenfer

I agree that is part of the reason I did it. I did not expect to be told "stay off my property". These peoples yard backs up to the empty lot next to my house. I purchased this lot also last year. I plan to build a 30x50 building on it to store my equipment and to restore Corvettes in it. (a little hobby of mine). I told my wife we are going to put up a privacy fence up as soon as possible on the property line. Then they can grow their yard as tall as they want. They have a ball goal laying on the ground on my lot. I should go over and drag it back on their property and tell him the same as he told me "I am territorial". Here is a copy/paste of the emails.

Bob,

Thank You for servicing our lawn.

Please do not do that again.

We have your phone number and if we need your assistance in the future we will call you.

Have a great weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Russell
I did not mow your lawn to try to get your bussiness, I live behind you. I was trying to be neighborly and your wife had mowed my lawn when I was in Afghanistan last year. My wife told me your wife has a broken leg. I was trying to help out.
Sorry if I offended you.

Bob Espersen
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You did not offend me, and I know you were not soliciting business.

I am very territorial (for lack of a better word).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

fblandscape
06-13-2003, 02:20 PM
A good friend of mine used to cut the grass for his old landlord. He had gone away to Florida a year or two ago and told me to check the voice mails he got. So one of the voice mails was from his old landlord crying for my friend to come over quickly because the lawn was several feet tall and the copperheads were starting to come back. A couple weeks after my buddy got back from Florida he sent his guys over there to hack down the jungle. Every so often you would see his guys jump up on top of the machines (w/b's) and start screaming, because they were afraid of getting bitten. I don't believe he was getting paid to cut that lawn either, and so far this year I do not believe that they have been over there :dizzy:

mowerconsultant
06-13-2003, 02:41 PM
My property line is 3 feet off of the neighbors driveway, it is all grass.
There is enough room there to make 2 passes with my 52" Super Mini Z, the one pass is on my side of the line and the other pass is partially on his side, so I mow to the edge of his drive way, total of about 2 to 3 feet onto his property.
I dont leave any clippings or debris there.
It helps make the property look good.
This guy mows his lawn once a month if were lucky.
The guy comes out and thanks me and such, this is last year.
This year he has the ton come out and mark the property line and he has stakes put in, then puts small boulders along the whole property line.
He then asks me not to mow beyond that anymore.....
LOL so much for helping neighbors...LOL

Later
Pj

Remsen1
06-13-2003, 03:10 PM
lazy people. have you guys ever told your neighbors that you're only mowing it because it looks like cr-ap.

drobson
06-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Mowerconsultant,

Maybe somebody told him that if you take care of that property for a certain number of years then it becomes yours. So maybe he thought this was in the back of your mind as you were mowing it.

Just a thought.... He probably saw you doing a good deed, until a friend or relative put something else in the his head....

Duncan Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Probably cut down his pot plants.

Green in Idaho
06-13-2003, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't say his response was too bad. Maybe he just liked to be the one to mow it. He said Thank You and was cordial.... Seems reasonable.

But of more interest to me, is that you have lived there for four years and are just now "getting to know" that neighbor.

Green in Idaho
06-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Additionally,
I would not want someone on my property without me at least knowing about it prior. It's certainly not a big deal though. .. c'est la vie....

And what if he did have pot growing in the corner? or some other private issue that an uninvited person crosses while on the property? Or if you ended breaking something while there? For all you knew he called to have someone do it the next day. How would you like to show up to an prop per a request the day before to find it mowed?

I'm not saying it was a wrong thing to do. It was certainly NICE and with good intentions, but there are other things to consider and his reponse doesn't justify you thinking badly of him and throwing up a fence and always considering him a jerk to never talk to him again.

How about this, my neighbor's house needs painting real bad. I'm a painter and go paint it one day while he's at work (same color of course). Sure is nice and neighborly of me, but it might be a little too much...

Rather Be Fishing
06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
"Territorial"?:D

What a hoot! Perhaps he should consider mowing his "territory".

I doubt I'd have mowed the whole lot but a few extra passes where his "territory" was adjecent to mine for sure. I guess next time you should just call the city and complain.

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Green in Idaho

He did not have any pot growing, I was looking for it :). I would not paint a neighbors house... I guess maybe I was wrong to mow it but it did look awful, I have never even met the the guy. We have only been here a year. I have never even seen anyone in the family in the back yard, I would not have walked around in it either though. I got back from Afghanistan in November last year I have met most of the neighbors around me, I have met his wife and kids, she comes over now and then with her kids to play with mine. I am going to put a fence up. His yard is not only high but he has junk all in the back yard a couple of mop buckets and the wringer thing that goes in them, a bunch of junk chairs piled up everywhere. It is an eye sore. And yes I think he is a jerk, and a lazy one at that.

Bob

brucec32
06-13-2003, 07:09 PM
This is why I live on 2 wooded acres and never want to live on less. I am lucky to have two decent neighbors on each side of me, but no way would I buy a home on a little lot and trust luck to provide me with such. I'd rather drive twice as far to get a bigger lot. I see enough neighbor feuds going on with my customers. I'm an outdoor person, I don't want to have to deal with someone I don't like on a daily basis.

BTW, the guys who didn't want the "free mows" were probably feeling emasculated by having someone do their job for them. They just can't admit that.

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 07:15 PM
brucec32

I hear ya, I to want to sell my house in a few years and buy some property but land here in central Florida is high.

Bob

the scaper
06-13-2003, 07:29 PM
now you dont have to do this, it's just an evil thought i was having :) but as you put that privacy fence up, you could paint his side of each board pink with purple poka-dots :D or either just line it with about twenty no tresspassing signs . :angry: :angel: :confused: :D :angry: :angry: :angry: :D :D

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 07:43 PM
the scaper

Simular thoughts came across my mine.:D

Bob

Green in Idaho
06-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Bob,
My bust on the four years thing. Don't know where I got that from. Must've kept the "4" in mind.

Well,,,, a lazy jerk on the other side of the soon to be pink fence... That sucks to have such neighbors... funny thought on the No trespassing signs though.

I know someone in house hunting market and her biggest fear is moving next to a 'problem' neighbor...

Enjoy the nieghorhood block party... and stay the hel OFF his grass! :p :D

Turf Pro Lawn Care
06-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Green in Idaho
:D :D :D :D

Bob

edrenckh
06-13-2003, 09:34 PM
You can always move next door to me, I'll let you cut my grass.

HarryD
06-13-2003, 10:26 PM
just put up a 6' wood fence then you won't have to look at it. I had the same problem with a neighbor that never mowed. we were getting ready to put up the fence and then they got foreclosed on. Lucky me some really nice people have moved in and mow weekly :)

Darryl G
06-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Turf Pro - Hmmmm, a pot-head who is territorial. Sounds like he's got something growing back there that he's trying to hide. You probably ran over all his plants, LOL.

Edit- I guess I should have read the replies first...seems I'm not the only one who thinks he's growing.