PDA

View Full Version : Too late to cut??????????

simsy71
06-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, This is my first year doing this on my own. I do this part time after my day job and on weekends. Last night I was cutting this lawn and I finished up around 6:30pm. The next door neighbor comes and and says that if I come back again at that hour she will call the cops. She said I interrupted her familys dinner. Again this is the neighbor. I happened to mention this the customer and they told me to ignore her. Am I doing something wromg is 6:30 to late. I do not want to cause bad blood between the neighbors but I was like give me a break.........

ffemt1271
06-13-2003, 02:58 PM
next time she comes out--you call the cops and tell them she is harassing you, and delaying your work.--Don't get mad----get even:D

dobehap
06-13-2003, 03:18 PM
If 6.30pm is withing city ordinances to run power equipment, then tell her to call a contractor, and have them insulate the house for her.:D

Or better yet, tell her

"Lady, at least you have food to eat, if I don't mow, I don't eat, my wife eats me, and my kids eat the dog"

:p

really, I sometimes wonder about those folks egos.

Whats acceptable in my book,
start 8:00am, finish- as late as you can see (without a flashlight).

Remsen1
06-13-2003, 03:23 PM
If it is at all possible you could try to accomodate. If not just appologize and explain.

bobbygedd
06-13-2003, 03:44 PM
tell her that the best you can do is, before starting a mower, knock on her door. this way, her and her family can stop eating dinner. then, as youre leaving , you can toot the horn 3 times, this will let her know they can start eating again.

the gravely man
06-13-2003, 03:54 PM
simsy71

Call the local police dept. and ask them about the noise ordanace and go from there. I would mow it the same time next week and let her call the cops and tell them she is harrassing you

mdb landscaping
06-13-2003, 04:06 PM
ive been mowing lawns right up till 8 pm lately, and im not the only one out there that late either. sounds to me like you got a typical nut of the street..... find out the city ordinance and make sure you can legally mow then, and then just tell the lady off next time after you politely explain to her that you have to mow then.

DLCS
06-13-2003, 04:16 PM
I would check your local city noise ordinances, most say quiet time is after 10:00pm. I've mowed up till dark before and no one has complained. I would just ignore her. I would let her call the cops, she will be the one looking like a idiot for calling them over interupting her supper. lmao

Rather Be Fishing
06-13-2003, 05:13 PM
In the past I've mowed until dark if the weather had me behind. Most people are understanding and can see by your filthy clothes that you've been at it all day. Certain accounts in certain neighborhoods have been pushed back until the next day if I know the client has a problem with me mowing late.

Neighbors? That's a whole different ball game...there's a nut in every crowd. I had a woman who came out every week to insure that none of my grass clippings landed on her driveway. There was no way I could put a nice looking cut on my clients yard without a little overspray (which was always promptly and thoroughly blown off). Still though, every week...

I think your clients neighbor was a little out of line to complain at 6:30, most homeowners mow at that time. Best thing to do is try to be polite and professional.

bastalker
06-13-2003, 05:19 PM
We mow till 8:00PM here....dont care what anyone says before that time!!

Advanced Lawncare
06-13-2003, 05:52 PM
I try not to mow after 8pm in residential areas.

BSDeality
06-13-2003, 05:54 PM
its funny, i was eating dinner with my parents the other night out on the back deck around 6:45 and the neighbors (who we don't really like) LCO pulled up and started mowing. first thing out of my mom's mouth was "why can't they just mow during the day?!, they're going to ruin our dinner". I said "well, they're probably on their 30th lawn today and they'll be gone in 15 minutes flat" Sure enough they did the job and were gone in no time (1 scag Z, 1 scag hydro and a guy trimming/blowing on a 3/4 acre). She continued on complaining on how awful it was.

The funny part is when my other neighbor (who we do like) started mowing his lawn the next day during our dinner she didn't complain one bit. But he mowed his little 1/2 acre for over and hour on his little JD ride on. She never said anything about his mowing during dinner, and he was out there after we had dessert too. Moral of the story, if you're a business people look down on you, if you're the neighbor they look the other way.

CUTMAN
06-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Here in Indy we have "No Zone Action Days" where they "the city" does not want yo to mow until after 6pm.:D

awm
06-13-2003, 06:07 PM
u probabely young and shes old bag and pushes anybody that will let her get away with it.get used to it there everywhere.shes tickedoff cause her husbands found geener pastures.
the neighbor probably knows more than she will tell. just listen to her. if the police come out ,all they going to do is warn u anyway ,assuming theres a ordinance.
if her husband comes out ,then play it smart and make it look like he forced u clean his clock.ull probably be hero to your customer.
but dont get u hopes up ,he probably aint coming nowhere near the dodo his wife steps in. excuse if i seem to have a tude. had a hellacious day.

aleksei
06-15-2003, 05:16 AM
During the summer, we basically run dawn to dusk. A few people bitched at us, but we broke out the old "If we don't work, we can't eat...." argument and they shut up.

fatboy5803
06-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Be as reasonable as possible, professional, and courteous. If the Noise Ordinances doesn't effect this situation then if she comes out again just explain the Law and apologize for the inconvenience. This shouldn't hurt your reputation. Hope this helps.

Lou :cool:

quiet
06-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Having respect for neighbors and the neighborhood is another aspect to running a reputable business. It's what distinguishes professionals. I try not start any lawn after 5:00 pm and make sure I'm done before 6. But that can be difficult on some days. I've tried to forestall any complaints from neighbor by apologizing for the intrusion during the dinner or cocktail hour immediately when I see them. Most are very understanding.

But there's always gonna be some crank. Just be polite . . . while dismissing them.

bobbygedd
06-16-2003, 08:07 PM
cocktail hour? man, where i live thats 7 am till 3 am

tiedeman
06-16-2003, 08:25 PM
try to be polite, but just explain to her that you are trying to do some work and you would mind it if she didn't interupt you. But if she threatens to call the cops tell her to go right ahead and tell her that you will pull up a chair and wait because you would like to address a complaint about a harassing neighbor in the area.

nelbuts
06-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Next week ask her whats for dinner while you are washing your hands!! Tell her you will not start mowing until you are finished eating and that is a "promise"!:D :D

mtdman
06-16-2003, 09:00 PM
I've been cutting until 8pm and haven't heard anything from anyone about cutting too late. As long as there isn't an ordinance, and as long as your customer isn't giving you grief, don't worry about it.

:D

Gr grass n Hi tides
06-16-2003, 11:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with cutting at 8:00 p.m. in a residential. Sit outside at your own home one evening and listen to mowers off in the distance. I'll finish up commercials at 9:00 p.m.