PDA

View Full Version : hcr-150 vs hs 80 hedge trimmers

kaufmaninc
06-13-2003, 04:06 PM
I went to look at both of them yesterday. I liked the way the Echo felt but didn't like the exhaust being on the left side. Probably a bigger concern was the cutting blade. Maybe I'm crazy....but the Stihl looked much stronger, less flimsy & better. Much more substantial!

I've read opinions on the units but would like your feedback on how you feel the 2 blades stack up/hold up to one another?

I need to purchase by early next week.

randosh4
06-13-2003, 07:09 PM
I just got the Echo today it is just GREAT

kaufmaninc
06-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Come on! I need some help with this. Can anyone help?

Clay
06-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Go with the lightest...

I like the left exhaust port... My Tanaka ports on the right and is always blowing in my face... :-(

I saw that Red Max has a new one that ports to the front...

CO.d 502nd
06-14-2003, 08:20 PM
I have both ,the sthil is a heavy duty hedge trimmer probably would last forever and a day.

The sthil is heavy ,useing it is like trimming bushes with a chain saw.

The echo is much lighter ,the blades on the echo do dull pretty quick.

I have a chain saw chain sharperner with a hedge trimmer blade atachment so i sharpen my own blades.

The only drawback of the sthil is its weight ,if the weight dont bother you get the sthil,if you need something ligher get the echo.

mtdman
06-14-2003, 09:09 PM
My stihl is tough and cuts almost anything, but it's freakin' heavy. I'm thinking of moving to a different set of trimmers.

:D

lawnkid
06-14-2003, 09:16 PM
I just cut about 40+ bushes yesterday with my boss using my Stihl HS-45 and it gets a little heavy but it's still okay. When buying my trimmer, I held the HS-80 to compare and the HS-45 was much lighter. The slaesman at the dealer carries both Echo and Stihl lines and he pushed the Stihl over Echo because it is stronger and overall better durability and all. Never tried the Echo though so i can't judge it. Oh and I've used my trimmer on probably over 150 hedges in the last year and a half since I've bought it and they are still razor sharp. Might be something to consider.

CO.d 502nd
06-14-2003, 09:31 PM
lawnkid

How has the hs45 held up,that engine on that trimmer is more a home owner type

Grass Master
06-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Lawnkid..

Who is the dealer you are talking about in the Cleveland area?? I am just west of there and am always looking for a good dealer to work with.

Pape's Landscape Maintenance
06-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Grass Master, where west of cleveland are you?, there is either worcester in north ridgeville, or north royalton power equipment in n. royalton, there are others but those are the two that i deal with.

Back to the original question, i have the echo 150 and am very satisfied with it.

Steve :cool:

grshppr
06-15-2003, 10:23 AM
I've got a Stihl HS 80 and Stihl HS 74. I love both trimmers, and they are very reliable machines. Sure they are heavy, but I think these other guys are all wimps. ;) Just think of the muscles you'll have for the ladies when you use the Stihls.:D

lawnkid
06-15-2003, 12:52 PM
CO. d,
Even though it is a homeowner model, it still performs flawlessly. I've never had a problem with power or anything. I have the 24" model and it s perfect length. I just replaced the spark plug and filter this year and I oil the blades everytime I go out to cut hedges. Never a problem yet. My next trimmer would be one of those articulating ones.

Grass Master,
The dealer I bought my Stihl from is called Marshall Equipment and they are located in Lyndhurst on Mayfiled Road. They carry both Stihl and Echo and have Exmark, Great Dane and Bunton. This is not my delaer but I get my Stihl parts from there. My dealer is called Best Truck Equipment in Willoughby. These guys by far have the best dealer support I have ever had. you give them something to fix and they'll take care of it right away. They carry Echo, Tanaka, Scag, and Bobcat, and many other truck beds, dumps, hydraulics, you name it they got it for trucks. But if you are lookin for a very good dealer, Best Truck is my pick. It may be a little farther then Marshall but they're worth it. And another thing, never go to Four Seasons in Wickliffe, they have terrible service and bad dealer support. Once I was there looking for a blower and after I left, Iwasn't even gonna buy from them cause they were selling the Echo PB-603 for $399.99 and I could get it at Best truck for only $350 and I overheard the salesman saying yeah I got him to buy it and he calls me the next day and even asks when I am gonna pick up the blower as if I already bought it. They like to play childish games so stay away from Four Seasons Power Equipment. If you have any other dealer questions ask and I'll be happy to help. BTW, Where are you located?

grshppr,
lol, I know, I don't even have to work out when I'm trimming bushes all day or shoveling mulch and tosoil around, its the best workout you can get.