PDA

View Full Version : $12.50 a cut!!!!!

FiremanMike
06-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Ok, just having to vent here. Went to mow my last lawn today. Nice neighborhood and all. Drop the gate and notice a neighbor washing her car. I grab a card and go introduce myself. She says that she already gets hers done for $12.50 a cut. After I picked my jaw up off of the ground, I told her "keep em, you got a great deal". Then she tells me that she also referred about 5 other customers in that area. Ahhh I get it now. So I notice that another neighbors lawn is about 8" high. Go up and intro, I said "you ready to join up?" "Yeah....hold it, your "Malcolm's Mowing Service?" Yes I am, then she tells me she already signed up with....you guessed it. $15.00 a cut. We're talking 1/3 of an acre lots here. I charge at least $20.00. So I see the guy on the way out and stop my truck. I told him that he's killing me by only charging $15. He tells me it's his first year. Well guess what, mine too and my bare minimum is $20. I wished him good luck and all. Am I charging too much? Sorry about the length here, just venting:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOWARD JONES
06-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Maybe you should let him do yours while you're doing one for 20+!

turfman33
06-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Different area's or States I should say, charge different prices due to taxes and so on..... But here in Florida $20 to $25 is a fair start price. you have to consider the overheads too. Stuff adds up. people think that you just put the money in your pocket and go on your way. They don't think that a License has to be bought along with insurance, gas, blade sharpening, belts, oil, travel time, equipment depreciation.......the list goes on......

The guy that is charging way low wont survive. he will come to realize that he will probably be losing and not gaining. Then he has to try and tell the people that he has to charge more...Guess what, he is probably going to have to charge a fair bit more according to the lot size you said. The clients are not going to like that.

I have been told by clients that ask for a price, (to my face), "thats to high'. but I just stick to my guns and tell them thats my price.

If clients want quality then pay the price.

Hope this helps a little. I under charged when I first started out. It's just the learning curve in this game. Heck, I didn't even know about this page until some time after I started in this trade:)

Steve

rodfather
06-13-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure I would even start up a trimmer or backpack for 15 bucks...that's insane.

Keith
06-13-2003, 07:05 PM
How long do these $12-15 lawns take one person to complete? 1/3 acre complete job seems like a minimum of $30 if it were here in Florida, where prices tend to be cheap. Man, I would hate to drive off after mowing 6 of these babies and spending half a day for 75-90 bucks :eek:

Ajays
06-13-2003, 07:33 PM
1/3 acre lots for $12-20... that is rediculous. I don't care where in the US you are. Are you mowing in a trailer park? What kind of service do these people expect for that price? You are definately not too high at $20 should be at least $30. I hope both you and the other guy are able to make it.

stick9
06-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Don't worry.

Just leave your business cards with these people and mention that the quoted price goes up every month.

This guy will be out of business charging that much. You just can't cover your costs and expect to make any profit.

Or else, he's going to need to make up for it in bulk and start cutting corners like crazy. In that case, if the people care at all, they'll figure it's better to go with the higher quality cut for a few bucks more.

The customers will be calling you in no time.

Stick-NINe

FiremanMike
06-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Did I mention that he had 2 helpers with him!! He was on a ZTR (Ferris I think) and one on trimmer and one on walk behind. He says "yeah, I got a couple buddies helping me". I saw the sticker in his window for his plowing license, so I'm guessing he is above the board, but come on!! It takes me 30 minutes by myself to do this ladies lawn (cut, trim, blow). Even if they are outta there in 15...that's a buck a minute....divided by three???!!! He's gonna starve....and I'll be right there when the customers are pissed off at the crappy job, or the price all of a sudden going up. I wanna know where he got the dough for all of the nice equip!! I'm just running a Toro 44" walk behind.....someday.....:)

smburgess
06-13-2003, 11:21 PM
None of my crews drop the gate for less than $35, I'd say my average lawn charge for a cut and trim is $45.

ULTIMATE LAWN
06-14-2003, 12:06 AM
We have a series of homes in subdivisions that run at $12.00 per cut.

There are never fewer than 20 per stop & they can take anywhere from 5-12 min. each..

Just Cut
06-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Hey Fireman Mike
I work in the Grand Rapids area, mainly Lowell, Ada, Cascade. My minimum is $30.00 for 10000 Sq Ft or Less. I have been in business 5 years. This guy will go broke working his tail off

mckell68
06-14-2003, 02:02 AM
check out my post entitled "victory over a scrub" under the search button. It will get you the answers you need. They all eventually cut their own throats.

Take Care and stick to your guns!!!---Mike

Hometown Lawn Care
06-14-2003, 02:35 AM
low ballers are sonz a bitches... lol

MDMowing
06-21-2003, 10:21 AM
This guy won't last long at those prices.

We are located in Iowa. It normally costs my clients a minimum of $30 just for me to park my old, beatup, truck ( with nice equipment in the back) in their driveway.
Normal average price is $40. I do have one I only charge $6.00 for but it only takes 5 minutes. And one I charge $20 for and only takes me 10-12 minutes.

When I started out I too was only charging around $12. One yard I use to charge $12 on when I started out, I now get $55. for. I learned and this idiot will too. Either that or he'll starve.

ElephantNest
06-21-2003, 11:51 AM
I've been mowing for over 20 years, I've NEVER cut a yard for $12.50. NEVER. And La. isn't known for it's abundant wealth. Years ago, I had some that were $15.00...those day are long gone. I won't get out of my truck for less than $20.00, and the ONLY two $20.00 yards I have is one lady who got me 5 or 6 other houses next to hers to cut, so I dropped her price by $5.00 every time she got someone new for me. (Untill we got to $20.00) And the other is a friend of mine who lives in a trailer with a tiny yard. Takes 10 minutes to complete.

When thoses scrubs break their first Corvette windshield, or stained glass window of someone's home, all you'll see is a little swirly dust cloud like in cartoons. POOOOF! Their gone! Then the customers can decide if it was all worth it, after they've had to pay for the repairs themselves.

turfman33
06-21-2003, 12:16 PM
I have already posted on this thread but something happened last week that I thought I would mention. I had a flier on my door last month from a lawn service charging 16.50 a cut. This past week, another flier from the same guy, 19.00 a cut now......I do a couple of lawns around me for 25 a cut and they are sticking with me. Plus the guys flier was very unprofessional looking. Just thought I would mention that

Steve