PDA

View Full Version : Pesterside and weed control License

turfman33
06-13-2003, 07:01 PM
I have been doing a fair bit of research here in Florida on getting my License for weed and pest control. They say I have to work for a company for three years before I can do the exam and get the license. well, I own and operate my own lawn care business so how they expect me to work for somebody I don't know. I'm building the buisness and I'm not just going to give it up.

Anybody have any advise on this. Point me in the right dirction. They tell me here that I can't even put down Weed and Feed due to the Atrazine. Is this a National Law or just State to State.

Thanks

Steve

greenman
06-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Pesterside. LMAO! Sorry,couldn't resist.:D

turfman33
06-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Greenman,

Pesticide, That should take care of the goof;)

Steve

walker-talker
06-14-2003, 05:54 PM
State law. Here in Kansas they charge you $15 for 3 books to prepare you for the test. I read through them once and then crammed for about an hour before the test and passed just fine.
If I am not mistaken, NY is pretty tough to get certified.

Runner
06-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Certified is one thing,- licensed is another. Here in Michigan, you have to be certified for not less than 2 years, with both those years experienced working for a licensed co.. If not, a 4 year degree in any horticultural field is acceptable.

SWD
06-17-2003, 08:13 AM
To answer your question, label laws are both state and federal.
Active ingredients registered for use in that state are obviously state laws.
Methods of application, personal protective equipment (ppe) use, reentry times, mode of application, are federal laws.
I cannot answer your other question about minimum experience apprenticeships, other to say, why not try working on a local golf course part time doing applications? Typically, it is the golf course superintendent who has the necessary licensing - may be he/she might help you?

walker-talker
06-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Runner
Certified is one thing,- licensed is another. Here in Michigan, you have to be certified for not less than 2 years, with both those years experienced working for a licensed co.. If not, a 4 year degree in any horticultural field is acceptable.

After getting certified, getting licensed is the easy part. Go get insurance and then pay for business license......here in KS anyway.

Runner
06-18-2003, 02:37 AM
It used to be that way here in Michigan, too.

azturfpro
06-22-2003, 04:07 AM
In Arizona you hire a qualifying party to license your company until you have the needeed experience to take the test . You need 2000 hours in each category you are seeking a license in and must be certified for two years to become a qp .