PDA

View Full Version : Flower Bed Bid???

Grassrootz
06-14-2003, 12:28 AM
I wanted to see if someone would tell me what they would bid to build a flower bed that was 100 ft long flower bed, and 5 foot wide. The ground is very hard, clay type, and the customer wants it tilled up first, and remove all the grass. Next I figured bringing in 3 yards of top soil and 2 yards of hardwood mulch to build it up. She is wanting us to do the work and plant 50 rose bushes in the bed, two feet apart.

What would your estimate bid be?

Thanks...Grassrootz

Georgiehopper
06-14-2003, 08:16 AM
If this bed is for roses, you will need to prepare the soil a little differently.

What I would do is remove and dispose of the turf in the bed area. Figure your time for doing that... I use a sod cutter so it would take an hour or two for a 100 foot long bed.

Then incorporate several yards of compost mix into the soil. Go easy on the topsoil because it can just end up compacting and the roses will not do well. The compost will add organic material to the soil and help with the pH..which by the way is something you should check since roses need acid soil. Greensand incorporated into the soil will also add about 26 plant nutrients plus help with the soil tilth. I would also add a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote 14-14-14 or similar.

Mulch with Composted Pine Bard mulch.

Are you planting the bed too?

A 500 square foot bed preparation in my neck of the woods would run around between $1000 and $2000. Others will do it for less, but wont prepare it the same way.

You must factor in all of your material costs, disposal costs, cleanup, labor, equipment rental etc..

polecat63
06-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Also, I would add some perlite to the soil. It will prevent compaction of the soil and help retain moisture.

Green in Idaho
06-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Georgiehopper
since roses need acid soil.
Need?

"Roses do best in slightly acid soil, but generally they will grow reasonably well in all but the most extreme soil types." - Ortho Books, All About Roses, page 25.

blafleur
06-15-2003, 10:25 AM
They might not need acid soil, but more varieties do better in it. I like to give them what they like best. There is a new product in the Dallas area for permanantly breaking up clay, its called expanded shale. I have not used it but those I have talked to that have say it works well. It is used in conjunction with compost. I agree with the statement not to use topsoil to mix with the clay, I use it only to build up raised beds.

If there is a lot of bermuda there, and I assume there is, I dont think removing sod will be effective. The only way I have found to deal with it is to kill it first.

I cant give a price not knowing if you will use edging, and how much it needs to be raised.

Bryan

Georgiehopper
06-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Boy some people are such nitpickers... no roses wont croak if they don't have acid soil, but if you plant them in alkaline soil and don't use something like Miracid on them, you will have troubles with chlorosis developing.

vardener
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Speaking of a claybreaker, they sell a product here in bags called, aptly, "claybreaker"

It's composted mulch and topsoil.

I like the idea of expanded shale better. That's been around awhile hasn't it?

not the shale, but in use as a claybreaker.

Sean Adams
06-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Don't forget the Milorganite.

Green in Idaho
06-21-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Sean Adams
Don't forget the Milorganite.
Yuck! !!!
Personally I would never put Milorganite anywhere! The thought of having my hands in it on installation or in the future makes me ill...

Chicken or other ag animal compost for me please....

http://www.poultrycompost.com/new/default.asp