PDA

View Full Version : intimidated by client

fblandscape
06-14-2003, 12:44 AM
I have no problems going up to just about anyone and everyone and asking for work. No matter how large, or small a $ amount involved. However I have one client, who I do, do work for that I am intimidated by. I have done a bunch of stuff for him in the past that was small and got paid, however he basically paid me what we both thought was fair, and to be quite honest I made out alright. However I am interested in doing more work for this client and his friends than what I am currently doing. Each time I try to ask the guy for work I get really nervous and can't do it. What is a good way to get over this feeling of intimidation?

cos
06-14-2003, 01:19 AM
HUH?

tiedeman
06-14-2003, 01:40 AM
public speaking classes

KenH
06-14-2003, 07:05 AM
Picture him in his underwear!!:D :D :D

Georgiehopper
06-14-2003, 07:07 AM
Why are you intimidated by him?

Never let a client think they can "boss" you around or dictate your price. If this person is that bad, I'd suggest not having him as a client.

Years ago I had a very well to do client who was somewhat intimidating. He would also try to dictate price and tell me how to do my job. Needless to say, I finally told him I could no longer work with him and that was the end of it.

Consider this, usually birds of a feather flock together and if he is intimidating and bossy, there's a good chance that referrals from him may be too..or at the very least, they will be influenced by him.

I'd walk away from him...or else suck it in, look him in the eye and tell him your price ..take it or leave it..and be prepared to walk away.

You wont go out of business without him.

Clay
06-14-2003, 10:02 AM
There is simply no substitute for experience.... The more you have, the more knowledge you'll gain, the more confidence you will exude...

Read and study a book called "Personality Plus"... you will then understand why he is so intimidating to you...

Good Luck, Clay

Rustic Goat
06-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Picturing someone naked, in underwear, or any other vulnerable state (sitting on the toilet) is a known psychological tool used by many in situations similar to yours, and to get over fear of speaking in front of large groups.
It will take a little practice.
Another tool is NOT looking directly into their eyes, fix your gaze on a spot slightly above the persons eyes and they won't be able to tell you aren't looking directly into their eyes.

Once you're in this meeting/conversation, DO NOT look down, always hold your gaze at the same level or just a little higher than the other persons. To do less is showing a sign of weakness, letting them know you are vulnerable.

Probably the most used tool/crutch is a couple shots of an adult beverage... not usually a good thing to do.

None of the above is meant to be taken on any clinical basis whatsoever, it is meant only as my opinion in an answer to your query.