PDA

View Full Version : HELP - IT's DARK IN HERE!!!

mower_babe
06-14-2003, 03:02 AM
PLEASE HELP!!! I AM IN THE DARK!!!

I am about to start a large landscaping job that will have a shaded area 85' X 35' that will be 3 tiered w. natural colored brick and will have small red lava rock (3/4") as the mulch medium.

The problem is that I need to find some perrenials and
groundcovers that like to be in the shade most of the time and YES - I have visited local nurseries to ask questions. The most common response is hostas and ferns...................................
BBBBBOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGG!

I will add these in, b/c they are in the existing landscape - but I need something with a little more spice. The home is white, black and tan. VERY LARGE. The homeowners like reds, but I have been told that red plants do not fare well in the shade.

PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME!!!

Georgiehopper
06-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Here consider using these:

Evergreen: Bearberry, Winterberry, Microbiota, Mondo grass (not sure about its hardiness in your area), Vinca minor, Pachysandra,

Perennials: Lysimachia nummularia, Beacon Silver, Epimedium, Hypericum,Bergenia,Ajuga,Brunnera,Prunella.

And of course the hostas and ferns.

There are so many nice varieties of hostas that you should be able to create a very interesting landscape with them. Also, ferns such as the japanese painted fern are beautiful and colorful and by no means boring.

Grassmechanic
06-14-2003, 08:13 AM
In addition to Georgiehopper's list, try these: Astilbe, huechera, iris, primrose, dicentra, alchemilla mollis, brunnera, helleborus, liatris.

Mike

kris
06-15-2003, 09:59 AM
I took this list from our website of shade perenials available from us. Although very few plants will do well in VERY dark areas.

Monkshood (Aconitum),Goutweed (Aegopodium),Bugleweed (Ajuga),Ladyís Mantle
(Alchemilla)Windflower (Anemone sylvestris)Columbine (Aquilegia)Kinnikinnick (Arctostophylos)Goatsbeard (Aruncus)False Spirea (Astilbe)Masterwort (Astrantia)English Daisy(Bellis)Elephant Ears (Bergenia)Forget Me Not (Brunnera)Marsh Marigold (Caltha)Bellflowers(Campanula)Snakeroot (Cimicifuga)Lily of the Valley (Convallaria)Sweet William (Dianthus)Bleeding Heart (Dicentra)Leopardís Bane (Doronicum)Bishopís Hat (Epimedium)Meadowsweet (Filipendula)Sweet Woodruff (Galium)Cranesbill (Geranium)Lenten Rose (Helleborus)Daylilies (Hemerocallis)Sweet Rocket (Hesperis matronalis)Coralbells (Heuchera)
Plantain Lily (Hostas)Siberian Iris (Iris)Silver Nettle (Lamium)Rayflower (Ligularia)
Cardinal Fl. (Lobelia cardinalis)Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia)Blue Poppy (Meconopsis)
Forget Me Not (Myosotis)Spurge (Pachysandra)Peonies (Paeonia lactiflora)
Beardtongue (Penstemon)Obedient Plant (Physostegia)Balloon Fl. (Platycodon)
Jacobís Ladder (Polemonium)Solomanís Seal (Polygonatum)Primroses (Primula)
Lungwort (Pulmonaria)Foamflower (Tiarella)Spiderwort (Tradescantia)
Globeflower (Trollius)Periwinkle (Vinca)