PDA

View Full Version : Florida

ztrguy
06-14-2003, 12:07 PM
For those of you in North East Florida/Jacksonville area:

I'm wanting to move there and start a lawn service. I will be mowing, trimming, edging, blowing - nothing more...nothing less.

I have a few questions for you guys already in the area:

1) Is there enough work to go around? With that, I mean will it be fairly easy to find enough work the first year in the business?

2) How many accounts do you think I could get the first year?

3) What's the average size yard that you service? And how long does it take you?

I know Jacksonville is a huge city - I don't mind driving all over to do work the first year, but I would like to stay in the Orange Park/Mandarin area. Is this possible to find all my work in those two places?

Thanks Jacksonville for taking time to read this. Any help or bit of advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

52" Exmark Lazer HP - 23hp Kaw
21" Exmark Push Mower
Stihl Trimmer/Edger/Blower

goodbeus
06-14-2003, 03:59 PM
No man, don't come here..there's no work, the market is totally saturated:p

Seriously, there's always plenty of work...this year, my brother went from 25 accounts to 70 accounts, but we both have been doing it for 15 years so we know what it takes to get these jobs...

My question is, where are you moving from and have you done lawncare before??

ztrguy
06-14-2003, 10:55 PM
goodbeus,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Missouri. I am moving to Jacksonville pretty soon so I was needing some info on how it's like there. As for the Lawn Service business. I've been in it all my life. I've worked here in Missouri for 12 years. Always have a professional image and always have professional equipment. Glad to hear it's easy to find work over there in Jacksonville. What's your best method on getting new accounts? Besides referrals, which you can't get when you're not even established. Thanks a lot.

goodbeus
06-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Find a neighborhood you want work in, put out flyers...that's a good way...you're just in time for the HOT summer here:eek:

ztrguy
06-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Sounds good to me. What area do you work in? What's the going rate in FL?

fatboy5803
06-15-2003, 09:54 PM
ztrguy,
I don't live in Jacksonville, But close. The south end of Duval county is really growing. Also north St. Johns county. Should be plenty of work there. I live in St. Johns Co. And it's growing so fast it's hard to keep up.. Hope this helps... And Happy Moving!

Lou :cool:

Royal Pest Services, Inc.
02-02-2006, 09:11 AM
My name is Clayton and I am with Royal Pest Services, Inc. We are a full service company specializing in Lawn and Shrub care. We are trying to find lawn maintenance companies that we can partner with. Please contact our office if you are interested and we will discuss our referral program.

We look forward to working with you,

Clayton
Royal Pest Services, Inc.
(904) 886-2847

Precision
02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
10,000 people move to florida every week.
60% are over age 60
quick math says yeah there are tons of people that need / want their yard mowed.

Questions
Are you willing to work 42 weeks a year cutting. That is how many cuts I get annually, You might only get 36-40 up there.
Are you aware of how hot it gets here, for how long, and how bad the humidity affects you?
Understand that prices here are about the same as where you live, but spread out over the increased length of the season.

If you really want to do mow and blow, do yourself a favor and search for the justmowit, threads. Great ideas in there.