PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the winter?

Schooldaddy
06-14-2003, 12:49 PM
I have one major concern about getting into the business; how to survive during the winter. From what I've read, most people on this site do their last cut in November and then start back up in March. What do you do to make a living during the winter? I live on the Gulf Coast, so, obviously, we can't plow snow. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

ElephantNest
06-14-2003, 02:55 PM
I try to get as many customers as I can to pay me once a month, same amount, all year. So.....$30.00 yard, cut 36 times/year. $30.00 x 36cuts, = $1080.00. $1080.00 divided by 12 months is $90.00/month. So, in the winter, I sit back, work my 12 -15, sometimes 20 hours a week, and watch the money keep coming in.

Green Pastures
06-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
I try to get as many customers as I can to pay me once a month, same amount, all year. So.....$30.00 yard, cut 36 times/year. $30.00 x 36cuts, = $1080.00. $1080.00 divided by 12 months is $90.00/month. So, in the winter, I sit back, work my 12 -15, sometimes 20 hours a week, and watch the money keep coming in.

And sleep............

wriken
06-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Participate in ice oval snowmobile racing, cant wait.:)

kels
06-14-2003, 06:35 PM
leaf clean-up and removal

Rex Mann
06-15-2003, 01:05 AM
We work year round in Phoenix:cool:

Peace,

Rex

Darwin
06-15-2003, 02:56 AM
One of my commercial accounts gives us extra work in the winter..................carpentry, painting, and other assorted odd jobs............

When I'm not doin that I'm ..................Travelin'

lbmd1
06-15-2003, 09:40 AM
I decided to finally get out of plowing last year after 7 years of waiting around for snow to fall and servicing 70 accounts by myself. I was lucky to have a fellow LCO who drove for an oil company delivering oil. So they helped me get my CDL license and now I drive for them from Dec 1st through April 1st. It's a win win situation for all. They need seasonal drivers when their season gets busy and they don't have to pay benefits either. i get great pay for my slow season. Don't know if there is somethiing like that down there for you seeing the climate.

Mike

Georgiehopper
06-15-2003, 06:13 PM
We try to work year round with the landscaping and patios. But we save a certain amount of money from each job so that we have a cushion to help us coast through the down times.

John Gamba
06-15-2003, 07:47 PM
This!

CMLLawnServices
06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by wriken
Participate in ice oval snowmobile racing, cant wait.:)

Nice:D what ru runnin for a ride? I`m gonna do some snocross this year. its gonna be a great winter:D

wriken
06-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CMLLawnServices
Nice:D what ru runnin for a ride? I`m gonna do some snocross this year. its gonna be a great winter:D

nothing but the best, Arctic Cat ZR:p

Ajays
06-16-2003, 01:06 PM
My only really slow month is January. Im doing fall cleanups till Xmas and Febuary, I start getting ready for the spring. I could probably find stuff to do to keep me halfway busy in Jan but I gotta take some type of vacation. Fortunately, my wife from South America so we usually spend a month down there in the nice weather and all. Much cheaper to live there too.

lawndreamer
06-17-2003, 08:37 AM
I plan to sell Christmas trees. During the month of December. It slow paced and some days you may not even sell one. But you stick it out and the profits are very nice. My Dad has done it for forty years. He always had two lots paid one helper and ran the other one himself until I was old enough. Profit for both in one month ranged from 15,000 - 20,000 depending on how much you wholesaled also.

CMLLawnServices
06-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by wriken
nothing but the best, Arctic Cat ZR:p

Bahhh!:D well atleast its not a Ski-doo :p i`m a polaris man myself.:cool:
In the winter I do snow removal its kinda hard since i`m in school , but i manage to always do my customers when they need to be done. i don`t have many , and the tractor and blower was in the family so all i pay for is gas, and my LCO liablilty covers the tractor. the money i make goes for the sled (gas , oil , parts insurence) and what ever i need in the winter. its not nice being on a small income in the winter, but its ok since i`m not trying to make a living on it. But i love this kinda work , I could blow snow all day if the money was better, nothin like crusin in this rig, i`m gonna get an old radio and a few speakers from the junkyard outta some old car and hook it up so I can listen to FM 96 while i`m workin
Heres my rig: a 1969 Cockshutt 1550 (oliver in the states) with a 7 foot Mckee blower with 1/4 inch home made drift cutters.

wriken
06-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by CMLLawnServices
Bahhh!:D well atleast its not a Ski-doo :p i`m a polaris man myself.:cool:
In the winter I do snow removal its kinda hard since i`m in school , but i manage to always do my customers when they need to be done. i don`t have many , and the tractor and blower was in the family so all i pay for is gas, and my LCO liablilty covers the tractor. the money i make goes for the sled (gas , oil , parts insurence) and what ever i need in the winter. its not nice being on a small income in the winter, but its ok since i`m not trying to make a living on it. But i love this kinda work , I could blow snow all day if the money was better, nothin like crusin in this rig, i`m gonna get an old radio and a few speakers from the junkyard outta some old car and hook it up so I can listen to FM 96 while i`m workin
Heres my rig: a 1969 Cockshutt 1550 (oliver in the states) with a 7 foot Mckee blower with 1/4 inch home made drift cutters.

Here's what you need to come to the states and get from me, throw a plow on and make big bucks LOL:eek:

wriken
06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
forgot to post pic.

wacamaster
06-17-2003, 09:09 PM
I play poker proffesionally. It's great not having any over-head.

dcondon
06-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Ski-doo , is the only way to go !!!! That's if you want to race and WIN !!!! :)

CMLLawnServices
06-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by dcondon
Ski-doo , is the only way to go !!!! That's if you want to race and WIN !!!! :)
If you wanna blow up and go home early!!:D :D :cool: naw j/k with ya. i must admit the REVs really impressed me when i rode one , other than that i`m a little sceptical on how their engines hold up. too many people i know have blown up thier ski-poos
riding hard in our tough canadian winters.

Wriken: it looks like a bueaty:D where abouts in michigan are you ? maybe i`ll stop by if your near Dundee nex time i`m down. I`ve been trying to get my friend`s dad to sell me his 1990 chev 2500 with a 305 gas , about 70000 miles, He`s a brick layer and this truck is in O.K shape , its just used to haul marble occasionally , i`d buy it and get it painted with my logo and buy a car for personal use. But i found a 87 chev with a 350 and a 4 inch lift 4X4 , long box :D some one has made it look pretty good. O well i cant get my full license for another 7 months yet:rolleyes: the prob around here is that there isnt that much space for pileing the snow, but i can spread it out with the blower, and back drag the rest where it needs to go. every body uses tractors around here anyway.
have a good one.
Craig

dcondon
06-17-2003, 10:47 PM
CMLLawnServices......... Just for fun..... My parents and I have ski-do's. My parents live in Maine, They leave from Maine and go into Quebec every winter with 8 other people. It takes about 12 days for a round trip. They go about 1200 . The third night at the hotel , all the Polaris's and Artic-Cat "s were gone....... My dad told me that they needed them for the parts. My parents rode home and the rest had to get a cab. :)