PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate muddy tracks

David Haggerty
06-14-2003, 07:57 PM
This lawn and the one across the ditch were both cut today because they wanted them done for Fathers' Day.

Why do you think the results would be so different on neighboring lawns?

pjslawncare/landscap
06-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Is muddy part lower or have hill draining on it?

Turf Medic
06-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Same person mow both yards? Same type of machine?

fblandscape
06-14-2003, 08:20 PM
How the heck did you not get stuck in there?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

DLCS
06-14-2003, 09:20 PM
I would imagine one lot is lower than the other, therefore one is more saturated.

Why would they want you to mow if the ground was that saturated? I would rather have long grass.:confused: I would not want my business seen doing that kind of job. But, I know you guys have had rain nonstop so I would imagine you don't have much choice.

hubb
06-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I'm just guessing here but maybe the soil is so compacted that the water just sits on top. I have one yard that I'm doing now that has a pool and it has a spot that has the water constantly draining on it. If we don't get any rain for a week or more its ok to mow that spot but if it rains I have to go around it and cut it with a push or my weedeater. Luckily its only an area of about 120'sq. ft. Its been my experience that if the soil has alot of runoff from other areas that it has a greater chance of becoming compacted.
On another note I have one customer that wanted to know why I hadn't showed up on thursday like I always do. I told him his yard was too saturated. He said he didn't think it was that bad but as long as I show up on monday he didn't care. About an hour later he called me back and said he thought I was correct in not mowing. I asked why the change of heart. He lives on the 5th green of a private golf course and his neighbors cut through his yard with thier carts and earlier just about the time he hung up with me one of his neighbors was trying desperately to get his golf cart out of about a nine foot rut where his wheels had dug in and he got stuck. :rolleyes: It took three guys to get the cart unstuck. Go figure!

Darryl G
06-15-2003, 01:43 AM
Wow, no offence intended, but that looks horrible. I don't see how that would make dad happy. I put down some tracks today, but nothing like that.

If I was tracking that bad, I'd load up and forget about it until it dried a bit, no matter what they said they wanted.

That does seem strange that the other lawn was fine.

Bluesteel
06-15-2003, 02:01 AM
LOL, those ruts will NEVER come out.

Lawn-Scapes
06-15-2003, 02:28 AM
That's F'ed up! You didn't do that David.. did you? I'm guessing you didn't do that lawn but did do the other.. with a push mower.

Did I win?

MOW ED
06-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Walk behind vs a heavier Z?

I have seen this happen where the it is so wet that the mud pushes up thru the lawn without tearing the lawn. It looks like hell but it does go away. It happens here in wet clay soil when you run a heavy Z over it. The blades are muddy but there are no ruts if you go slow.

Now if you get a cowboy that fires over the lawn and makes hot turns you lose a customer and may have to replace a lawn.
there would be no way I would have cut that lawn unless the owner was standing there and was told that this was guaranteed to happen. Man that looks bad.

mikesjumpingin
06-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Hey, who taking pic's of my work?

Just kidding (sort of).

I just visited my backed-up customers yesterday with my equipment, said I can destroy your lawn today, throw mud everywhere, make it look horrible, or I could wait untill it dries out a little tomorrow or Monday. They all "chose" to wait.

I can't believe how many customers don't walk on their lawns!They don't understand the saturated soil thing, they just think the grass leaves needs to be dry.

btw, anyone else getting killed with pop up ads? I use aol with blocking pop-ups, but I had trouble trying this today.

Mike

David Haggerty
06-15-2003, 12:24 PM
It was the same mower & operator on both lawns.
The clean lawn was cut first, then the muddy one.
The muddy lawn is a litttle lower, but mostly the difference is the clean lawn has drainage, the muddy one's flat with standing water.
They were both mowed with a Toro 325-D. It weighs right at 1 ton. But it left no ruts!

I know that's kind of hard to believe, so I waited till today to reply so I could post a follow up pic.

It rained again last night so it washed the mud right off.
The grass is still laid over. If it ever drains and the sun shines it'll stand right up again.

Albemarle Lawn
06-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Got my John Deere 1600 4x4 Wide-area 11' mower stuck up to the hubs in pure, genuine horseshit last week.

Will post pics later.

Took a 30,000 lb JD Tractor with 50' of towstrap to budge it.

KB

David Haggerty
06-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Here's the results after it rained last night.

I was hoping today would be sunny so the grass would stand back up for this picture. But it didn't.

I've found it's kind of like what mikesjumpingin said about soil saturation and not how wet the leaves of grass are.

If the ground is firm enough to walk on I can mow it without leaving ruts. Even if it's thru standing water. To keep from leaving muddy tracks I mow in the pouring rain.

I don't let any of my customers put off mowing because they think it's too wet. I explain that it's going to look worse mowed when it's overgrown than it will look when mowed wet.

Every spring this lawn gets muddy tracks. I've been mowing it for 14 years. I never let it get too far behind on mowing because it's my lawn.