PDA

View Full Version : Need Spraying Advice

Enviro Green
06-14-2003, 11:10 PM
All right ladies and gentlemen, I need a bit of advice. I have done a search, read the threads, and need some current, firsthand experience.

I just came into possession of a 200 gallon skid sprayer with a Kawasaki engine and hypro diaphragm pump and chem-lawn gun with the yellow tip. My questions are these:

How wide is your pattern when you are spraying for weeds using the chem-lawn gun with the yellow tip? How much overlap do you have? How many gallons per 1000 are you using? How long does it take you to cover 1000 square feet?

I have the pump calibrated to deliver 2 gpm right now. However, when I walk and spray in about a twelve foot wide pattern and then overlap about three feet on the return trip, I can cover the distance of 1000 feet in about 30 seconds. Am I walking too fast? Should I cut my flow rate? I know either might work, but what is the suggested way? I would like to be calibrated for either 1 or 2 gallons per minute.

Ric, I am working on what you suggested as well. Thanks for all your help!

Thanks guys, and gals, and let me know what important information I left out of my questions....

EG

Grassmechanic
06-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Enviro Green

How wide is your pattern when you are spraying for weeds using the chem-lawn gun with the yellow tip? How much overlap do you have? How many gallons per 1000 are you using? How long does it take you to cover 1000 square feet?

I have the pump calibrated to deliver 2 gpm right now. However, when I walk and spray in about a twelve foot wide pattern and then overlap about three feet on the return trip, I can cover the distance of 1000 feet in about 30 seconds. Am I walking too fast? Should I cut my flow rate? I know either might work, but what is the suggested way? I would like to be calibrated for either 1 or 2 gallons per minute.

EG

The best advise I could give would be to set up an area in a parking lot that measures 1000 sf. Practice using only water and spray the area. You may need to change your walking pace, flow rate, or maybe even your nozzle. You have to set it up for what you are comfortable with. Keep practicing until you get the rate/1000 sf that you are shooting for. I try to overlap very little to not at all. You're on the right track, just keep practicing.

Mike

greensummer
06-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Do a bucket check, you should be at 7.5 litres / minute using the yellow tip.;)

Turf Medic
06-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Grassmechanic is right on with the empty parking lot thing, practice, practice, practice. We run 2 gal per minute with a bucket check and then try to regulate walking speed to cover 1000 sq ft per minute, thus give you a 2 gal per 1000 sq ft coverage. We don't overlap much at all. When doing the parking lot test, best to have a low to no breeze day that is somewhat warm, because you are going to want to be able to watch the lot as it dries, this will help you determine if you are spraying some areas heavier than others.

elvis 6certifide op.
06-16-2003, 11:10 PM
CALIBRATION IS NOT THE ONLY ANSWER,ALL THE INFORMATION IN THE BOOKS ARE QUITE OLD!THERE ARE NEW STEPS YOU CAN INVENT YOURSELF? GO BY ALL DIRECTIONS AND THEN INVENT FOR YOURSELF.YOU CAN USE LOW RATES AND STILL KILL AT HIGH RATES BY IDENIFICATION ON THE JOB,AT THE SITE. GOT TO GO :angry:

Mscotrid
06-18-2003, 03:19 PM
EG,

Start your calibration with the bucket, w/o your nozzle on. The nozzle is not designed to restrict flow. The nozzle is designed to give you the proper atomized pattern to match your calibrated rate of flow.

Once you have your flow @2 gpm than put your nozzle on and hit the pavement. As the other guys mentioned practice on the blacktop or concrete. Get a full coverage, on average you should cover a 1000sqft in a minute.

Spraying is not a race. Do the job right the first time and you will save in the long run. Service calls are not free, figure a service call runs you $45.00 an hour minimum.

Mike

turf78
06-18-2003, 04:51 PM
I try to overlap very little to not at all. You're on the right track, just keep practicing.

Mike

When spraying with Chem Gun you must overlap. Rule of thumb is that the edge of your spray pattern should just hit your foot prints from the last pass. Look at the nozzle, there are more holes in the center than the edge. If you sprayed fertilizer and did not overlap you would have an american flag minus the stars.

Grassmechanic
06-18-2003, 10:12 PM
When spraying with Chem Gun you must overlap. Rule of thumb is that the edge of your spray pattern should just hit your foot prints from the last pass. Look at the nozzle, there are more holes in the center than the edge. If you sprayed fertilizer and did not overlap you would have an american flag minus the stars. [/B][/QUOTE]
Turf78 - Been spraying with a chemlawn gun for going on 20 yrs. Never have stripes in a lawn, and I certainly don't overlap to the extent you are. Like I said, set it up for what YOUR comfortable with.

Enviro Green
06-18-2003, 10:26 PM
I practiced in a parking lot on a sunny day and I found that NO overlap gave the pattern which dried consistently and had the most uniform coverage. For my spray technique, if I overlapped one foot, that one foot was the last place to dry, telling me that it had the most liquid or chemical on it. Therefore, I decided not to overlap, but just a tiny bit.

However, I calibrated for 2.5 GPM form the gun and cover 1000 square feet in twenty five seconds, delivering just at 1 gallon per 1000, however, I have decided that this is not working. I am building up too much pressure in the line and every time I trigger the gun I get a burst of spray which has many small droplets and mists, then it settles down. I am going to try to recalibrate to walk much slower and use a much lower pressure. I am glad I didn't try to spray fertilizer or iron on my first day our with this thing! LOL!

Also, I noticed that I had a lot of foam in the tank and could not spray our my last five to eight gallons of mix. Is this normal? It was very frustrating to me.

Thanks for all the answers and replies,

EG

vegomatic40
06-21-2003, 05:17 PM
The gun and tip that you described is designed for overlap. Regulating your speed and spray width so that the droplets "dry faster" in certain areas is a recipe for a improper application. That colored tip is for 2.0-2.5 Gallons Per Minute and 1000 sq. ft. per minute is the standard and should never be varied from. I have trained hundreds of technicians on how to use that setup and probably the best overall width is 5'-6' and yes spraying back to your footprints is best. Your first past along the edge of a property (such as a sidewalk or curb) should be slightly faster in footspeed then turn around at the end of the pass and walk at approx. 2.75-3.0 mph spraying back to the original edge. The most common mistake in learning to spray is not waving the gun back and forth fast enough. While practicing on the parking lot see if at any time the pattern appears to be "zig-zagged". Put down some pieces of paper weighted down with pennies to represent weeds and hit them with the top edge, middle and bottom edge of the spray pattern as you walk over them.
Besides giving you poor coverage and thereby crappy results, not overlapping also opens up a high potential for getting "lost" on a lawn particularly a big property. Take your time and do it right.