PDA

View Full Version : leave prices out of ads?

mikesjumpingin
06-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I killed myself early this season trying to nail a rate schedule for lawns, only to find out the best advice here was to just walk the property and offer a price.

I learned here, also, the best way to offer a project is with one full price, and to not break down hourly rates, etc. (customers confuse business service with labor wages).

I wanted to drum up add-ons for established customers and services for new customers (mulch, top soil, hedge trimming, etc.); am I better off leaving out lead-in "deals" and "prices" and just printing the name of the services I offer? What key words seems to work best in print ads?

Thanks, Mike

RICKT761
06-15-2003, 10:53 AM
You should never include prices with your ads. Prices have to be flexible according to the situation and conditions.Besides why give your competition any knowledge of your price structure?

Never give prices over the phone,site unseen. A potential customer's concept of size and /or ease of work requested may not be the same as yours.

NEVER,NEVER give a ball park figure.They will always hold you to the lowest number you come up with. You need to have time to figure in all the variables before giving a price.

roscioli
06-15-2003, 11:30 AM
I never put prices in ads, but have considered it for neighborhoods with very similar sized small lawns. There would have to be a clause for obstacles, excessive growth, etc, but I wouldn't rule it out completely, if you are a low priced company. It could be a good "in" to a new neighborhood, if you can afford to mow em cheap having a number in a row, but I feel it doesn't get the high end clients that I am looking for.

NYRookie
06-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Never put a price in an ad. I find the best way is to advertise what type of services I provide and state that I offer free estimates and that I am insured. You should always look at a property first. The only exception is when someone calls for brushhogging and they say it's under 1 acre. I then tell them that I have a minimum before I even go and look at it. Some people think that you will haul a $20,000 tractor 30 minutes each way to do a 30 minute job for $25. :dizzy:

Speedy
06-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Saw an ad in out local paper today in the lawn care section that read like this:

The Lawn ??????
mowing starting @ 12.50 per acre
free est., lic. call ??????

12.50 per acre, wonder how many jumped on this.

I'm still scratching my head on this one.

LawnMowerMan2003
06-16-2003, 06:05 AM
I've done flyers that leave a blank space for an estimate. I thought this way the customer will know they are getting a good price, if they look at it, and when they call, I won't even have to go give an estimate. I put in the flyer that the price is only good for 3 days. Is this a good strategy?

Mowing Freak
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
I posted in my ad that most lawns are $30. That cut out a lot of lookers, a lot of "well, I'm used to paying $15 or $20" lawns. This year, all the people who called me, hired me. My opinion, for me in my area, this saved me a lot of leg work. Later in the spring, a lawn scrub did the same thing. He even priced his at $30! And get this, some scrub said in the ad: mow first time, 2nd time is free. Wow, and I still got calls even with that ad in the paper, of course I'm insured and offer more services too.

Gravely_Man
06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't put the price in that ad as I want the call and want to make the sale while I am talking with the customer or at their home giving them an estimate. You have to be a talker to do things like this but it gets my foot in the door.

Gravely_Man