PDA

View Full Version : lubricating hedge trimmers???

GarPA
06-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Did a search on titles only and didn't find much on what we're to use to occasionally lube our hedge trimmers. Consensus seemed to be that wd40 was harmful to plants and I agree. Some use a silicon based product but some guys think the silicone will cause a buildup. Just wondering what you are are using on yours...if anything. I suppose any kind of petrol based product will impact the plant to some degree....thanks

wissel_landscaping
06-15-2003, 01:26 PM
I have always used pb blaster on mine i'm sure it isnt good for the shrub but i have been using it for years and have had no problems so far.

GarPA
06-15-2003, 01:40 PM
what the heck is pb blaster?? dahh

lawncare3
06-15-2003, 01:43 PM
I don't remember which thread it was but, someone uses water. I think Jim Lewis posted it.

wissel_landscaping
06-15-2003, 01:51 PM
pretty much the same as wd-40, liquid wrench.

ffemt1271
06-15-2003, 02:25 PM
how about some vegetable oil in a spray bottle?

sheppard
06-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Great question! I've noticed when I trimmed some wax myrtils after I put wd-40 all over the blades that they browned almost over night.

Love to find something that doesn't hard hedges but will keep the 'gumminess' out of the blades.

Cordially,
S.

Bluesteel
06-15-2003, 05:06 PM
WD-40 is trash. But, itís got a catchy name and itís in all the stores so it sells. Someone suggested water, well use WD-40 and it will pull water from thin air. Thatís right, it actually attracts moisture.

I donít have a good suggestion because everything Iíve tried lately is not satisfactory. There used to be some stuff on the market called ďBreak FreeĒ and it was excellent. Iíve found it in squeeze bottles, but the aerosol spray cans have become scarce.

fblandscape
06-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Use vegetable, or canola oil.

David Haggerty
06-15-2003, 08:17 PM
I've been using chainsaw bar & chain oil.

It has a real high viscosity and stays on a long time.

I'm sure it isn't eco-friendly or anything like that.
But I don't have to put it on that often so not much gets on the bushes.

It hasn't been making the taxus brown. Not gumming up either.

Is anyone else using it or tried it?

OH, Plus it's cheaper than dirt. I think $1.97 a gallon.

Dave

Phishook
06-16-2003, 02:31 AM
Pam, you can find it in your kitchen cabinet's.

Mike Bradbury
06-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Bluesteel
WD-40 is trash. But, itís got a catchy name and itís in all the stores so it sells. Someone suggested water, well use WD-40 and it will pull water from thin air. Thatís right, it actually attracts moisture.

I donít have a good suggestion because everything Iíve tried lately is not satisfactory. There used to be some stuff on the market called ďBreak FreeĒ and it was excellent. Iíve found it in squeeze bottles, but the aerosol spray cans have become scarce.

WD stands for "Water Displacer" 40. It was made during WWII to spray on machinery while in transit overseas. It DISPLACES water so the rust can't form on the metal.
It is trash as a lubricant, since that's not what it is.

PB Blaster is the BEST penetrating oil I've used. Great for soaking rusted bolts. Available at auto parts stores.

GarPA
06-16-2003, 06:40 AM
well yesterday I had some spray all purpose silicon which I sprayed on...really quieted the blades...but I guess theres a buidup though with silicone....I like the Pam idea...will give that a try....along the lines of Pam, they also make spray olive oil which might work well. Man the tricks of our trade....the many things we need to think about....and people think plumbers are worth more than us....no way.

The Lawn Boy Pro
09-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Did you all know that WD-40 gets pine sap off of your hands REALLY well? Try it! works better than LAVA soap :D

GarPA
09-09-2003, 11:34 AM
BTW on this topic I've been using spray on (like PAM) olive oil on the hedge trimmers...works pretty well...and no petroleum residue to damage the plants...I also spary this stuff in the snowblower chutes....remember snow???

GLAN
09-09-2003, 11:50 AM
We use WD 40

We spray on and run the blades a bit before starting to trim. We use a light spray, and don't do it all the time. We only apply if the blades get gummy. Run the blades works off the excess spray and frees up the blades.

If you're damaging your sparying to much and hitting the plants right away. Run the blades 60 seconds or so then begin trimming.

SpudsM15
09-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Just a lil warning...If anyone has a echo-articulating hedge trimmer. That little yellow handle that you have to release. Make sure you don't get to much spray on that. Learned the hard way in the rain was super slick, now my thumb knukle has a nice 1 inch scar on it. Not major but was the least that could happen! :blob1:

DennisF
09-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Wesson Vegetable Oil. Lubricates well and doesn't harm the hedges/shrubs. Cheap too.

Black Water
09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Roundup.:D No really, i use peanut oil, and the best penetrating oil is Kriol oil.

leadarrows
09-09-2003, 06:24 PM
I know from being in food service that you can get food grade white grease and silicone both of which come in aerosol spray cans. You might try that. You can find some by looking in the restaurant supply pages of your phone book. It's a guess on my part cause i've never tried it but if it doesn't harm food it seems logical that it wouldn't harm the plants. There is environmentally harmless chan saw oil. I can't remember the name but I have seen it.

dfor
09-09-2003, 07:03 PM
I have used Pam. Seems to work ok. But if it is possible, I just take a spray hose to the bushes and wet them down lightly before trimming. Keeps the blades really moving. So far I haven't been electrocuted.

bam
09-09-2003, 10:04 PM
horticulture spray oil or "dormant oil" used for tree and shrub spraying. its very cheap and available at nurseries, Lesco etc.

Runner
09-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Speaking of WD-40, here's an old e-mail that I've saved for about 3 years. I KNEW I saved this for SOME reason!:rolleyes: )

Wacky, but real uses for good 'ol WD-40!
*Attract fish. When sprayed on fishing bait, WD-40 covers up the
scent of human hands on the bait to better lure fish, according to USA Today. The WD-40 Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.
*Cure Mange. While spraying a dog with WD-40 gets rid of parasitic mites, according to USA Today, the WD-40 Company, feeling that the potential misuse of the product is too great, refuses to condone using WD-40 to cure mange on animals.
*Prevent squirrels from climbing into a birdhouse. Spray WD-40 on the metal pole or wires.
*Remove a ring stuck on a finger. Several medical journals claim that WD-40 is the perfect cure for a toe stuck in the bathtub faucet, a finger stuck in soda bottle, or a ring stuck on a finger.
*Remove chewing gum, crayon, tar, and Silly Putty from most surfaces. Spray on WD-40, wait, and wipe.
*Clean decorative snow from windows. Spray windows with WD- 40 before spraying with artificial snow so the decorative spray will wipe off easier.
*Prevent dead insects from sticking to your car. Spray WD-40 on the hood and grill so you can wipe bugs off easily without damaging the finish.
*Make hangers glide over a clothes rod. Spray WD-40 on the clothes rod so hangers can be pushed back and forth easily.
*Clean clogged spray paint can nozzles. Remove the nozzles from the spray paint can and the WD-40 can, place the nozzle from the spray paint can on the WD-40 can, give it a couple of quick squirts, and replace both nozzles.
*Remove oil spots from driveways. Spray with WD-40, wait, then blot. The mineral spirits and other petroleum distillates in WD 40 work as a curing agent.
*Thread electrical wire through conduits. Spray WD-40 on the
electrical wire to help it glide through winding conduits.
*Prevent grass clippings from clogging up a lawn mower. Spray WD-40 on the underside of lawn mower housing and blade before cutting the grass.
*Clean sap from gardening equipment. Spray with WD-40, wait, and wipe clean.
*Prevent mud and clay build-up on bicycles. Spray the bicycle with a thin coat of WD-40.
*Remove baked-on food from a cookie pan. Spray WD-40 on cookie pan and wipe clean. Then wash with soap and water.
*Remove dirt and grime from barbecue grills. Remove the grill from the barbecue, spray with WD-40, wait, and wipe clean. Then wash with soap and water.
*Remove chewing gum from the bottom of a shoe or sneaker. Spray on WD-40, wait, and pull the gum free.
*Keep dogs, maggots, and flies out of trash cans. Coat the trash cans with a thin layer of WD-40.
*Take squeaks out of new shoes. Spray WD-40 into the leather and shine.
*Remove grease stains from linen. Spray WD-40 directly to the stain, rub it in, let is soak for a few minutes, then wash through a regular cycle.
*Take squeaks out of a box spring mattress. Remove the fabric
covering the bottom of the box spring mattress (by simply removing the staples), and spray the springs with WD-40. Staple the fabric covering back in place with a staple gun.
*Polish wood furniture. Spray WD-40 on a cloth and wipe.
*Clean crayon from a blackboard. Spray WD-40 on the crayon marks, let soak for 10 minutes, then blot clean with a cloth.

Anyway, I always used a light lithium grease every once in awhile, and never had any problems with desication. I wipe the blades off real well when doing this, though.

mowerman90
09-09-2003, 11:30 PM
A friend of mine gave me a spray can of food grade silicone and it worked really well. After going through that I now use Rem Oil. It seems to work well and so far I haven't seen any brown leaves after I'm done.

Team Gopher
09-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Here is a quote from the Home and Garden site (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_equipment_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3584_1379322,00.html).

"Sharpen the blades, and lubricate with an aerosol silicon spray to prevent rust"

thill
09-10-2003, 03:38 AM
I use spray white lithium grease. Available at any auto parts store. No build up and lasts through many hours of use.

GarPA
09-10-2003, 07:01 AM
great thread here folks....think I'll put away my spray olive oil and go get some spray lithium grease....the olive oil doesn't as long as I'd like on big jobs

geogunn
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
I use wd-40 and I have never hurt anything with it. well, at least not like the time I was trimming boxwoods and the hedge trimmer leaked a bunch of fueland I didn't know it.:eek: It was a while before they asked me back.

if wd-40 attracts water I have never had a problem with it. I use it on guns, trimmers, hand saw blades and no rusting problem at all.

GEO