PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline vs. Lawnboy Gold 2 cycles

Virginiacowboy
06-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Need some advise on these two 21 inch mowers. I am using this mower for mostly home owner use, with occasionally mowing others as well. I have steep slopes and want a two cycle. I really prefer the Toro, it just seems so well built, but was wondering about the LB as well. The Suzuki seems great and mechanics I have spoke to rave about it, but do you think the extra horsepower in the DuraForce 6.5 would help more with the hills? Despite the one less hp, the Suzuki seems to have a slightly higher blade speed and mowing speed ratings.

Also, not sure about the staggered wheel design on the LB, but it is lighter. I do not mind the price, want to get the best I can. Thanks guys.

ElephantNest
06-15-2003, 07:49 PM
I have two Lawn Boys, 4.5hp and 6.5hp. Both are IMHO cheaply built, awkward on loading and unloading, thin cables, too many plastic parts in and around the carb, etc. The Toros that I've seen look much stronger, and generally better built. Although, if you want more of my opinions, I'd have to recommend the top of the line commercial Honda. Man, what a sweet machine that is, and would be the last one you ever bought. ( Although I don't think they have a two stroke, but plenty of power and fast. You'd have to ask about a two stroke.)

CO.d 502nd
06-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Best 21 inch mower i ever owned was a toro two cycle proline i bought in 1989 to use on my home lawn .The mower is still going

Martino
06-15-2003, 08:54 PM
....on another forum?

Posted by Virginiacowboy Va on Wed, Jun 11, 03 at 13:58

After one of the most extensive pre-purchase research efforts I have ever conducted, I finally made my decision. Last night I purchased a commercial grade Toro self propelled with a 2 cycle Suzuki. I love it!..............

Didn't you already buy the Toro last week?
:confused:

Virginiacowboy
06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
My dealer sells both and told me he would switch it out if I had any second thoughts after I asked him. He said they were comparable, but his mechanics like the Toro better. It does not hurt to ask as I have never mowed with a Lawnboy. A couple people have asked me if 5.5 is enough horsepower. I know the LB is only 1 more hp but I thought I would ask the pros. Do not get me wrong, I love my machine, but I invested a lot of money and really want to get it right.

Rick Jones
06-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Stick with the Toro. The Lawn-Boy Gold Series is a good homeowner mower, but is not a commercial machine like the Toro is. If you really like Lawn-Boy, they do have a commercial model available, but I would still take the Toro. Lawn-Boys aren't bad machines if you just want to do some trim work, but I don't care for the stripes/wheel marks they leave. Makes it hard to give a professional-looking cut IMO.

Virginiacowboy
06-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Actually, it may be the commercial Lawnboy that the dealer has, but I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

joed
06-16-2003, 08:49 PM
I currently own the toro commercial 21" with the Kawasaki engine and have used the Lawn Boy with the 6.5 Duraforce engine and I would honestly say that the toro is the better of the two. It is faster, more rugged and leaves a better cut. The one advantage that the Lawn Boy has is its ability to side discharge right out the side whereas the Toro requires a plastic rear deflector chute which apparently does not work well. If you don't mind pushing, I know that Toro makes a side discharge commercial unit with the Suzuki unit that weighs only 73 lbs. I believe the model number is 22026. It is strictly a side discharge unit and apparently is amazing in thick wet spring turf.

brucec32
06-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Before I spent nearly $1000 on a top of the line commercial 21", I'd take a look at a low end midsize wb with a 32" deck for about $2000. Overall, about double the productivity and you can hitch a velke to it, unlike a 21". My guess is that it'd outlast the 21" also. (used half as many hours to do the same amount of lawn). It'd also have better resale value.

I used 21" mowers at times for years, but since I got a 32" toro, I use it like a 21" and haven't touched the small mowers since. 21" have their place, like if you're doing small stretches of grass with lots of curbs, but I'm really pleased with the 32".

Jeff W
06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
I have 2 lawnboys that I cut 15 lawns a week with. I bought my first in 1996 and just bought another last season. I have never had a problem with either. The only gripe I have about LBs is they have a very bad grass shoot that tends to clog when you mow high grass or sometimes when its wet. If you can find one, get one without that personal pace ****, get a 3 speed. I know the cpmmercial ones still have the 3 speed.