PDA

View Full Version : Here is why homeowners shouldn't play with chemicals.

MOW ED
06-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Two pics in my neighborhood. The first brain surgeon wanted to kill the weeds at his duplex. Of course Round-Up kills weeds doesn't it?

MOW ED
06-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Number two is a homeowner that decided to fertilize his lawn. I think he thought he was using a broadcast spreader... strike that I really don't know what he was thinking.

I got a great laugh out of this one. Look Good.

BSDeality
06-15-2003, 09:41 PM
too damn funny.

turfguy
06-15-2003, 10:29 PM
last year a lady called my office and had done that same thing. they had used roundup to kill weeds and in turn wiped out the whole lawn. they had a wedding planned for the next week and wanted to know what to do...I laughed so hard when I saw the place she started to cry. sooooo 500 bucks later and 5 gallons of tuckahoe # 6 turf paint she had the best looking lawn ever. I even touched up a few spots the morning of the wedding....nearly got hooked up with a bridesmaid...thats a whole nuther story.......

tiedeman
06-15-2003, 10:32 PM
I love the fertilizer one the best. We always drive by a house that I guy used a drop spreader on and it is so funny to look at.

General Grounds
06-15-2003, 10:41 PM
:blob3: turfguy, what happen w/ the bridesdmaid;) , tony

Grassmechanic
06-15-2003, 11:04 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

leadarrows
06-15-2003, 11:14 PM
All that and they left the grass in the sidewalks untouched. LOL:)

HarryD
06-16-2003, 12:32 AM
I dont see any weeds though. roundup rocks :p

lawncare3
06-16-2003, 12:41 AM
MOW ED,

The first pic looks like what one of my customers lawn looks like after True green KILL LAWN did. :mad:

I might go out and get some free sod from the paper and do the install and make a killing. :D

KirbysLawn
06-16-2003, 01:05 AM
Funny, some "professionals" should not play with chemicals either. I'm starting a repair/renovation job on a Zenith Zoysia lawn that a local LCO killed in spots with weed killer, looks just like the photos above.

I will be reel mowing it, feeding it, and hopefully by fall they will have a green lawn again. I will post photos soon.

TLS
06-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Can you kill it?

Give it a year, it'll fix itself....naturally, and spread into both neighbors lawns to boot!

Down by you in the Carrolina's it must THRIVE, because up here it just turned green about 3 weeks ago, it'll look brown and dead by the beginning of September.

:rolleyes:

sbvfd592
06-16-2003, 12:48 PM
wow ya looks my lawn when my dad tuched my sprayer what a mess he made i cut it out and got 4 roles of sod :D

Gravely_Man
06-16-2003, 03:36 PM
These pictures would make great examples of why people should hire a licensed and trained professional rather then just "doing themselves."

Gravely_Man

ToG
06-16-2003, 09:25 PM
hey that fert job is no mistake. it's a big money symbol. must be that new stuff i read about in those religious books at the launrdo-mat. i think they called it "agressive prayer" you know like a sign for God.....:D

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 09:39 PM
The fert. one does look like a money $ign now that u mention it... hmm...

Lawn Tek
06-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Answer - Aliens - Crop Circles

Runner
06-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
The fert. one does look like a money $ign now that u mention it... hmm...
That's exactly what WE were thinking as we're sitting here reading and laughimg at this thread. Is this what is known as a "cash" crop?:D

KirbysLawn
06-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Here is a GREAT example why "professional" should also know what they are doing. The damage in the photos was done by a local licensed LCO. I just started today to rebuild and fix this mess.

KirbysLawn
06-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Another shot, it started raining HARD on me so I had to hurry the photos:

greenman
06-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Kirby, what happened? Why is it that the bare spots are only in the path of the tire tracks from the mower, and not the rest of the lawn? Compaction lead to weeds, then the weeds were spot sprayed with R/U? Or did the grass just die from repeated mower trackes(compaction)? Guess the former LCO never changed patterns or ever done aerations.

brucec32
06-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Ironic how a homeowner can go to Home Depot and buy anything and spray it all around, killing things he shouldn't, getting stuff into the water supply, etc...but to do it for money one has to be certified, even though even the most idiotic applicator can probably do less harm than the typical homeowner. Not that I disagree with certifcation, but it is funny.

I have a customer who can't afford to pay someone to fertilize...so she takes handfulls of miracle grow (I can tell, it's blue) and dumps them randomly on the lawn each year. The result is nice round dead spots where she's burned the turf. Lawn looks terrible until about June when the grass finally outgrows the damage she does. I left her a note once telling her to get a spreader instead. She ignored it. So I'm not saying another word to her. It's $23 for 12 minutes of mowing so I'm not messing with it.

My next door neighbor asked me about crabgrass in her newly installed sodded Bermuda lawn. She was going to just spray roundup on the crabgrass! "It kills weeds doesn't it?" was her comment. Running into me saved her a couple of thousand bucks.

KirbysLawn
06-18-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by greenman
Kirby, what happened? Why is it that the bare spots are only in the path of the tire tracks from the mower, and not the rest of the lawn? Compaction lead to weeds, then the weeds were spot sprayed with R/U? Or did the grass just die from repeated mower trackes(compaction)? Guess the former LCO never changed patterns or ever done aerations.

I have no idea. I am thinking along the same lines as you, they mowed the same pattern with the same mower, fungus/weeds grew in the trench they made and then they sprayed the weeds. Almost every dead spot has dead/sprayed crabgrass in it where they sprayed.

I just mowed it today and will be mowing it next with a reel mower, it was also fertilized today so I hope to post improvement soon. The owner is in Hungray for 2 months, I hope they come back to a much improved lawn.

MCGRAIL LAWN
06-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I bet that homeowner is looking for a new company

Green Pastures
06-22-2003, 10:17 PM
This is a funny thread.

MCGRAIL LAWN
07-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Just bringing this back to the top of the list.

Please post more pics if you have them

maple city
07-14-2003, 11:54 PM
We had a lady who did the round-up on her yard to kill the few dandilions that she had. Her yard was polka-dotted with dead spots. Man, I wish I had taken a picture!:D

JHMlandscapes
07-15-2003, 02:05 AM
I can see it now, someone with giant letters on the side of their truck....

XXXX Landscaping
"WE FIX YOUR SCREWUPS!"

:D

Henry

jaredslawncare
07-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Thats good stuff:D

whitleys
07-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Had a similar deal when I first started. I used a small squirt hand sprayer of Round-up for treating the cracks in the concrete. Must have forgot and left it sitting on the customer's property. Her "know it all" boy friend found it and decided to help me by spraying the weeds in the lawn. Pretty. They never returned the bottle or ask any questions! :) But I did learn where the "missing" bottle went!

bob
07-15-2003, 08:48 PM
I had one customer ,who had a beautiful lawn, used Roundup to spot spray weeds in his lawn. It looked like poka-dots about a week later.

heygrassman
07-15-2003, 11:23 PM
....no seriously...... what happened with the bridesmaid....

jk.. good thread!!

MCGRAIL LAWN
09-01-2003, 12:32 PM
^

dvmcmrhp52
09-01-2003, 01:17 PM
My neighbor did the roundup thing last year,I just smiled.:p

DUSTYCEDAR
09-01-2003, 01:22 PM
had a lady weed and feed her lawn and then did her shrubs.
i love people that can read they make me more money.
had to replace everything.