PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on a 21" purchase

Tx Firefighter
06-15-2003, 09:49 PM
I need an new 21 inch mower, my Snapper is nickle and diming me to death. Shopping with the local dealers, I've determined that it is going to be either......

Toro Proline or John Deere JX75.

The Toro is obviously very popular and a good machine. They come with either a Kawasaki 4 stroke or Suzuki 2 stroke. I'd like to hear from the guys with the 2 stroke Toros. How fuel efficient are they? Will the engine give as long of service as the Kawasaki 4 stroke? Do the 2 strokes work harder than the 4s? I dont' mow too many hills so the 2 stroke bieng better on slopes isn't real important. Besides, I'd think the pressure lubed Kawasaki would not suffer too badly on hills either. I've never owned a 2 stroke mower, so I'm kind of in the dark about them. Why the hell does the 2 stroke have that 1 gallon fuel tank, but the 4 stroke have a 1 quart tank? They don't burn that much extra fuel do they?

The John Deere has the Kawasaki on it. I'd get the oil filter kit for it when I bought it. No 2 stroke is available on the JX75, so that's already decided. No new JX85s available anywhere, so the JX75 would have to do. I can always upgrade it to JX85 specs with the good parts if I needed to down the road.

So, question is, which machine will give better service?

The dealer support seems to be about the same between the two. Price is not too far apart. I probably mulch about 50% of the time and bag the other 50% of the time.

All opinions are appreciated. And yes, I did a search for 21 inch mowers and read all the info here (it seemed like it took days to read it all).

Kevin

EJK2352
06-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Go Toro!!!!!!! 2 stroke is pretty good on fuel. I worked for a company that had several. I have Proline 21" w/ a 4 stroke Suzuki on it. I picked up the mower w/ a worn out 2 stroke and found a homeowner Toro w/ the 4 stroke. I put the 4 stroke on the Proline and it has served me well for 3 years now.

mottster
06-15-2003, 09:59 PM
finally someone I can give insite to!

I've never used the Toro but I am currently using the JX75. I love this mower through and through. Cost me about $900 once you added in tax and the mulching kit.

The blade brake clutch is always nice specially when I need to stop to talk to a customer real quick or for emptying the bag. Speaking of the bag, it's really too small for my tastes since i'm used to the larger bags on the snappers at work, but I like it's easy emptying and easy of taking it off and putting in on. I never asked if the JX85 had a larger bag or not??? If so I would quickly add that to this awesome mower.

Mine has been used for 2 seasons now and the only stuff i've had to have serviced is a minor tune up, adjusting the drive belt tensioner and i broke one of the wheels off from a stupid mistake I made. :blush: Other then that i've changed the oil and cleaned the air filter religiously and it still runs very good.

I use their Tricycler blade and it does great with everything. When mulching tall grass the mower will tend to leave a trail on the left side of the mower. but if you slow it down it does great.

the mower has never let me down.

thats my .02!

I've wondered about getting the oil filter but in all seriousness my oil is never all that dirty.:blob4:

mh1314
06-15-2003, 10:01 PM
After wearing out 3 Snapper 21" mowers, I decided to try a 2 stroke Lawnboy with a steel deck. The one I got has mulch and discharge, however a couple of models also have the bagger. Alot of power, great mulching of grass and leaves.l The mower is light weight and has the off-set wheel to help with close mowing. The nice part is no oil changes and as with all of your other 2 stroke equipment use good oil and keep the mixture correct. The hardest thing to get used to is the sound of the motor. The intial ground speed was a little slow for me on the highest setting, however a post on this board showed me how to crank it up. If you chose to you can run behind these things. :blob4:

Qualey
06-15-2003, 11:10 PM
My Toro cuts well, but I wish the speed selector was easier to use, the bag was bigger (and loaded/unlaoded easier), and the weight was lower. Its 3 years old and was around $1000.00 when new. No problems whatsoever, decent power, and the 2 stroke works great.

Matt

mtdman
06-16-2003, 04:12 AM
When I first started, I had an old 2 stroke Lawn Boy. That mower was freakin' indestructable. It plowed through everything, and always cut nice. Eventually it became a backup, and then just died. But it was a good mower. I did not like the weird offset on the wheels, though.

When my current small mower dies, I'm going with a 33 inch of some kind. I have enough lawns with fenced in backyards that require me to have a smaller mower, and my big mowers just can't get in there. But I'm tired of the little push mowers. Ugh.

:D

LawnMowerMan2003
06-16-2003, 04:58 AM
Heres my 2 cents:

I've never owned a Toro or a JD X75, however, I still have my beat up John Deere with a Kawasaki engine. It looked run to the ground when I bought the thing, and I used it for a couple of more years. I'm not using it now, but the main problem is the self-propel doesn't hold up, probably because it's not a commercial mower. But the Kawsaki STILL runs good. So I can speak for the reliabillity of the Kawaski engine. I don't think I've ever had to repair it.

With that being said, I think the Toro 2-stroke is one of the most popular commercial 21" mowers out there, and I'm suspecting it's at least partially due to the reliabillity of the Suzuki. I'm certainly not a mechanic, but constant "oil-change" is a good concept. 2-strokes tend to run at higher RPM as well, which may give you some additional power. I had an ancient Snapper with a 2-cycle Wisconsin Robin, which I was impressed with overall. I was impressed just to see that such an old engine was still running!

above all
06-16-2003, 09:03 AM
My dealer still had a couple of 85's as of last week. Steel Wheels are a big up-grade from the 75. Do everthing you can to get an 85. (if you want the JD) THE BAG My wife cut open the back seams of the bag and added some oil cloth. If gave me about 40% more space. Not just space for clippings but this gives the bag and mower more "air space" around the clipping and allowes the clippings to be dumped easier with out them being compressed into the bag. With two modified bags It seems that I can get more into those two bag then three non-modified ones. The time saving add up when you figure how much time you fight getting the clipping out of the bag into your dump bin. If you want an 85 and can not find one e-mail me and i will check with my dealer.