PDA

View Full Version : LawnSite.com Suspensions

Sean Adams
06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Hello Everyone....

I wanted to let everyone know we have created a new policy at LawnSite.com that we are going to test out for awhile. Everyone at this site knows the rules. If you don't go back and read them again.

Nevertheless, some members think that they are "above the law" when it comes to the rules we have implemented to keep this a professional forum for people to discuss the industry.

I recognize that at times there are heated debates and people make the mistake of going overboard. As some of you may know, I usually edit the post, send an email warning you, and leave it at that.

However, there are some people that just continue to break the rules. So the new policy is this....

If you make a dumb mistake, I will warn you via PM or email. If you blatantly break a rule again, you will be suspended from using the site for one week. After that one week, you will be reinstated with all of the same privileges.

After being reinstated, no matter who you are, no matter how long you have been at this site, if you blatantly break the rules again, you will be permanently banned from LawnSite.com - no exceptions.

Be aware that the moderators can edit and delete and move posts. However, only I can actually ban someone. So please do not hold the moderators accountable for someone being suspended or banned.

This is something that I think will maintain the integrity of the site and allow make certain everyone here treats all members with courtesy and the respect they deserve.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

John Gamba
06-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Cool

rixtag
06-16-2003, 07:33 PM
I would say that is fair.

turfmaster90
06-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Those are fair rules. I can abide by them!

Ax Man
06-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Thank You!

barnard
06-17-2003, 11:38 PM
I think that's more than fair. And I'm sure it will be appreciated by all but a very few.

bobbygedd
06-18-2003, 12:01 PM
not fair

Sean Adams
06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
bobby.....

Why not? What do you mean? I don't understand? Please, please, please explain.....HELP! HELP! HELP!

I figured I'd respond just for the heck of it since I knew you would respond this way too! Have a good day bobby:)

bobbygedd
06-18-2003, 12:40 PM
ha ha, I RESPONDED THAT WAY, cus i knew u would ask "why, why, why" . but seriously, now, as u may have heard, i got a D minus in anger management class, and if someone here should insult me, and i dont have the oportunity to insult them back, i may just....self combust, or do something crazy, u wouldnt want to be resonsible for this, would you? ok, hows this sound, i slip u a few bucks, and u let me slide on the "new rule?"

crawdad
06-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Sean Adams
Hello Everyone....

I wanted to let everyone know we have created a new policy at LawnSite.com that we are going to test out for awhile. Everyone at this site knows the rules. If you don't go back and read them again.

Thanks.

Well, I think it's a great idea. Just yesterday morning, I was browsing a thread, and this dude posts in all caps, in a clear violation of the rules, and finishes his post with "GET OVER THE CAPS IM NOT SCREAMING"
I mean, what was the point of that?
And another guy, in another thread, informed us that he would soon be posting an ethnic joke.
"What do you get when crossing a native indian with an Italian?

send in your guesses and see for next week."

And to think of the times I got edited and scolded for posts that actually break no rules. I admit, if I don't like something, I speak up, but that's my nature. Especially if an opinion is asked for, I'll give it. If we all agreed on everything, how boring would that be?
Crawdad ;)

Sean Adams
06-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Maybe you were edited in the past, but if you have been edited recently it's because you broke a rule. Either way, thanks for your opinion. And don't forget...this is a big site with a lot of people using it. If you see something that you feel is wrong or questionable, why not take a second or two and report it to the moderators?

Thanks.

FrankenScagMachines
06-18-2003, 11:32 PM
I think I can live with those just fine and I think they are fair! Shouldn't be very hard for me to stay out of trouble, I've had a hard time finding 10 minutes a day to get on LS and even then don't make a post often... keeping way too busy these days... Wow, this job is too much like real work :p ;)

JimLewis
06-19-2003, 04:52 AM

All right. You wanna know what I think?!? I think this policy friggin su......

However, only I can actually ban someone.

Oh. Hehe. :D :D :D I mean... errr... Hey! Great policy Sean. You da man. YOU da man!!! ;)

Sean Adams
06-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Ha Ha, Ha....I knew I was gonna get a few of these....:p

crawdad
06-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Maybe you were edited in the past, but if you have been edited recently it's because you broke a rule. Either way, thanks for your opinion.
I won't argue that, as they are your rules to interpret as you see fit.

And don't forget...this is a big site with a lot of people using it. If you see something that you feel is wrong or questionable, why not take a second or two and report it to the moderators?

Thanks.
Because, although I don't always agree with you, it is after all, your job, not mine. I don't interpret your rules exactly the same as you do, and this could lead to conflict. That, and the fact that nobody likes a snitch, so the chances of my ever hitting the "Report this post to a moderator" link are very slim.
I've been trying to stick to posts about lawns, but when someone asks "What do you think?", I give them my opinion.
You're doing a great job at a difficult task, keep up the good work.
Crawdad

GarPA
06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Go for it Sean.
Maybe its my imagination but since you took over, it seems that the tone of most of the posts has improved across the board. Whatever you are doing behind the scenes it seems to working. Keep up the good work!

ps...a year or so ago I used to get embarrased by the some of the nonsense that would appear here from time to time from my fellow "professionals". THe more we all strive to raise the bar in this industry the better it will be for all of us.

bobbygedd
06-19-2003, 01:40 PM
question: when, i mean if, i get booted, can i come back under another screen name? also, if i insult someone, really bad in a private messege, does that count ? thanx

BobR
06-21-2003, 07:57 AM
I like it.. Whack the flamers.. If someone NEEDS to vent at another member let them use PM and keep the LawnSite public board out of it.. Good Move.
BobR

MOW ED
06-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Great idea.

Thanks.

Lawn DOG
06-21-2003, 03:34 PM
As long as editing is just that. Not censorship. In the past some of the opinions not shared by moderators were edited or removed. This is a country of many different ideas and beliefs and we charish our freedom of speech. If this site ever caved in to over-moderating I think it would be a dis-service to the site. I do agree that some moderation is needed to keep it from becoming x-rated or too profane.

Just my opinion

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 02:33 AM
sean, are u ignoring me?

the scaper
06-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Ha Ha, Ha....I knew I was gonna get a few of these....:p ban them for a week :D

chuckwk
06-22-2003, 08:32 PM
'bobbygedd'.... maybe I can answer some of your input, I seriously doubt Sean is ignoring you... because he does not ignore anyone... I'm sure he is very busy, (I know he is very busy)...

"question: when, i mean if, i get booted, can i come back under another screen name? also, if i insult someone, really bad in a private messege, does that count ? thanx"

You can come back under another screen name but it won't be long lived... We can ban a unique IP or entire IP block if necessary.... if someone use a proxy it won't take long to figure out who the member is... each member has a 'unique' style and personality....

You can't harass or insult any community member for any reason by any means provided by LawnSite.com.

But, I'm pretty sure we would not have to worry about any of this from you...? Over the past few years you have created quite a following & reputation and considered by many, an outstanding professional member with helpful information, input, and ideas.

Thanks!

Chuck

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 09:31 PM
ME? considered by many, an outstanding professional, with helpful information? ...........ok, im back, i just fell off my chair from laughing so hard. i would venture to say, that i am the most hated individual on this site. which, is fine by me. but i do thank you chuck for the fine compliments, and for answering my questions. have a nice sunday

leadarrows
06-22-2003, 10:46 PM
i would venture to say, that i am the most hated individual on this site. which, is fine by me.

Not Hardly. You seem like you want to be at times but you are uncomfortably right often enough to deny your self that title. Besides you have kept me from being bored a few times.

chuckwk
06-22-2003, 11:01 PM
maybe not as hated as you think... I remember receiving quite a few emails from people asking me to contact you so they could get copies of something you had... I think a contract or something similar... you have been around for years and you know the deal.

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 11:12 PM
really? u mean it? im all choked up. rats! ill just have to try harder

e-RoK
06-22-2003, 11:56 PM
People are kinda funny when they think of "cencorship". If Sean Adams wants to set up a site for people to chat, post, & b.s., he can. If Sean Adams doesn't like what or where people post, he can edit, delete, modify, ban, or do whatever. That's his business. And that's not cencorship. If the government tries to do the same thing, that's cencorship.

Green Pastures
06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Sean,

I think this new policy is great and has been a long time in coming.

How bout the use of language that is unappropriate for the younger crowd to read?

Thanks.

crawdad
06-23-2003, 09:40 AM
I hope that bobbygedd sticks around a while. He's a "people person". I'm honing my customer relations skills from browsing his posts.
Crawdad

Sean Adams
06-23-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm still here. I'm not ignoring you bobby....how could I do that?

Thanks everyone..... More to come.

the scaper
06-23-2003, 09:56 PM
i would say that since we're all trying to be professionals on lawnsite and in the field, a simple rule to go by would be- dont say anything on lawnsite that you would'nt say in front of a good customer. .... i'll try to remember that one :D

mike9497
06-25-2003, 09:24 PM
i think its fair.there are a few guys on here that need to be kicked off anyway.theres 4 of them.

Lakeview
06-25-2003, 11:26 PM
RULEZ?!?!?!?! WHAT THE HECK ARE.......
Oh yeah..........now i remember.
Those things we were supposed to learn all about back in first grade.

bobbygedd
06-26-2003, 02:37 AM
mike, dont you mean, "there are four of them?" anyhow, who are the four? and, when someone gets booted, shouldnt it be public information? yea, kind of like post it for everyone to see, so they will be embarased? huh? tell me sean, is that the way it will go down? cus i think thats cool

mike9497
06-26-2003, 09:44 PM
i said 4.maybe not in the wording you would like to see.

vipermanz
06-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by chuckwk
each member has a 'unique' style and personality....

Chuck

that's true for sure!!!!!!!!!! i like it that way though!!:)

chuckwk
06-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Yea, thats what makes this community so great... its members.

lawncare3
06-29-2003, 08:14 PM
It's sean's site he can do whatever he wants!

But, I do agree there are "some" moderators that just moderate for nor reason at all. :mad:

The Lawn Boy Pro
06-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Chris (lawncare3) is right. It's Seans site. But I know for a fact hes not gonna go around banning people just cuz. I agree with the rules totally. But their are those guys that need some sense knocked into them every now and then. But you have to be careful. Like me, I'm 16, and yelling at someone that is older and MUCH more experienced than me is a lack of respect of elders and authority. Just gotta be careful. :D

Live4Mowin'
06-30-2003, 06:44 PM
sounds fair to me

Movinfr8
07-03-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
I think I can live with those just fine and I think they are fair! Shouldn't be very hard for me to stay out of trouble, I've had a hard time finding 10 minutes a day to get on LS and even then don't make a post often... keeping way too busy these days... Wow, this job is too much like real work :p ;)

Seems ironic that, I think, he was the first one suspended!!! Personally, I hava a lotta respect for him and his art! who could see a walkbehind, and make it, out of an old snapper rear engine? And at 16 years old!
Gotta go, my 10 month old is teething.......
Norm

STAN1366
07-06-2003, 10:33 PM
I think that banning someone for a week for the first infraction is OK. Down the road though, if he screws up by accident it means he off for good? HMMMM? I think that's a little harsh unless there's something like a personal threat involved. Second time should be 2 weeks or a month. We all make mistakes and some of us can be more "vocal" than others. Just my opinion.

Sean Adams
07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Stan,

I understand what you are saying. I will be as fair as possible. More than likely if someone is suspended, and then banned, it is because they broke the same rule(s) that got them suspended in the first place.

leadarrows
07-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Even your drivers license is clear again after so long how about a start over with clean slate after a set amount of time. Maybe degrees of severity standards.
Some things are more serious than others. The punishment should fit the crime. Its like the third strike rule. Thirty years in prison for your third strike even if its for shoplifting a cookie like that guy in California a few years ago. Thats just not right. I would hate to see some one banned for life over a small infraction just because it's there third one. Making an example of some one isn't fair ether. The same for all as best as the administration can humanly do. Which I am sure is already intended.:)

STAN1366
07-07-2003, 02:05 AM
Ok Sean, you're the Boss. Maybe if things get real heated, you could have a trial by some of the Senior members? Not a "kangaroo court" type thing, but sort of let the peers be the judge if someone is to be permanently banned.

bobbygedd
07-07-2003, 09:01 AM
can i be on the "jury?'

STAN1366
07-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Ya' know, I'm beginning to catch on to some of the "characters" here! :D Anymore volunteer jurors?

crawdad
07-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
can i be on the "jury?'
Ya, right, and I'll be a moderator!
Crawdad

Expert Lawns
07-09-2003, 08:08 PM
anyone see ''12 Angry Men''?

This was a great thread to read through. love the humor

BRL
07-09-2003, 10:59 PM
"Thirty years in prison for your third strike even if its for shoplifting a cookie like that guy in California a few years ago. "

I agree that 30 years for shoplifting a cookie is a little drastic. However, I don't believe anyone forced him to steal a cookie. And I would bet that the judge made it real clear what offenses would be counted toward a 3rd offense, and it was that guy's choice to take a chance. So he got what he knew was coming & will have to deal with it. How's it go... Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time!

dvmcmrhp52
07-11-2003, 12:43 AM
good idea.Ive been on this sight for only a short time and I do enjoy the individualism(I think it goes with the business)but as well things do get a bit personal at times for some pretty petty reasons.just my nickles worth.

CharlesF.
07-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Great Idea lets start with crazy gator who is bashing products.

crazygator
07-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Why am I being attacked?

NCSULandscaper
07-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Who cares if he bashes a product. If he doesnt like one then he has the right to say it isnt worth a s**t. Thats just part of life and free speech. If i hate a product im not goin to say its nice just to satisfy people.

chuckwk
07-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Yea, as long as it falls into 'guidelines'....

"* Opinions that slam (bash) a manufacturer or product must be backed up with detailed professional facts! If you don't own or have not owned or operated a particular piece of equipment or product your opinion is worthless and will not be expressed at the expense of manufacturer slander. It is much more appropriate to express a company/product complaint in a professional manner. LawnSite.com is known and monitored by mostly all the major equipment manufacturers and complaints / negative feedback on their company/product are generally accepted because this gives them the opportunity to fix the situation and show their concern and fix a "problem" in a community manner."

crazygator
07-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Very true Chuck.

Its just surprising to log on and see some new guy who does not know me, nor has any knowledge of anything I have owned and starts complaining and asking to have me suspended. I just dont get it!

Sean Adams
07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.... I think it is someone just trying to stir up a problem....

Gr grass n Hi tides
07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
anyone see ''12 Angry Men''?

This was a great thread to read through. love the humor

Yup, classic film.

I think the suspension rules are fair. Sean's posts are articulate and he comes arcross as a reasonable person. I'm sure his judgments will be appropriate.

Sometimes we get a little chatty & stray off topic and/or there's a "healthy debate", which is just how it is when you're standing around in a room with a bunch of guys. Those are good things. There's a big difference between that and getting rude/out of line.

chuckwk
07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by crazygator
Very true Chuck.

Its just surprising to log on and see some new guy who does not know me, nor has any knowledge of anything I have owned and starts complaining and asking to have me suspended. I just dont get it!

I was not replying to you :) , I was replying to NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper
07-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by chuckwk
I was not replying to you :) , I was replying to NCSULandscaper

I couldnt agree with you more with the regulations about bashing products. I know i never post about a product unless i have the same thing or have demoed one.

GLAN
07-18-2003, 09:22 PM
OK, so. Now tell me.

This isn't the new Star Wars Galaxies message boards?

Gee, and to think I was gonna tell you all I want to be a "Jedi" :D

LOL. The rules are fine. Read someone say something about interprerting the rules. An approach that works very well is, think of every post your write as if you are interacting with complete strangers in a crowded room.

I have moderated many message boards and various forums in the past to know that the above guideline works, and works well.

John

A1 Grass
07-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Having rules is great, I rarely come here to argue with anyone, but who's the ultra-square who moderates the language?

I got a warning letter for using the word c-r-a-p once! For me the word is a NICE way of saying what I actually mean, which in it's pristine form doesn't bother me either. Stick-and-stones, you know?

Plus, I have religion as well, but I don't think I'll ever use it as a reference on this board. I am as offended by people throwing around religion as much as I am offended by the foul language. Save it for GodSite, know what I mean?

chuckwk
07-20-2003, 01:18 AM
You got emailed about the word ----?

----, that sucks!

chuckwk
07-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Holly crap, the ----'s are gone!

CharlesF.
07-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Godsite :D ;)

tiedeman
07-21-2003, 09:39 PM