PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts ???

triadncman
06-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I started to build this business in January mostly because I was sick of punching someones clock every day and then putting up with their **** all day. Money was not really an issue because my wife makes a comfortable living with or without me. I used newspaper advertising for about 6 weeks and was able to have 8 residential accounts set up by mid may. I do them all on Fridays ( weather permitting) and use the other 4 days to look for new business, do maintenance, take care of things outside the business ect...... I would like to fill another day or 2, maybe work 3 days a week, take 2 off.

I would like to get some commercial accounts but not really sure how to go about it. Hoping some of the veterans here might be able to give me some advice. Im a 2 man operation so Im not looking to get giant apt complexes or anything like that maybe just small businesses, banks, fast food, ect......

Whats your opinion on the best way to go about approaching these types of businesses???

Thanks alot
Triad

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 10:38 PM
this is my first year also. 1. we are kinda late in the year to be picking up commercial accounts.

2. i've been going around and meeting the owners and giving then flyers and business cards. at the same time i am asking info about when they accept bids and proposals. then i write it down so i will have it when the time comes. happened upon an apt. complex bit that is actully a bid for 3 apt. complexes.

Runner
06-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Here's how I do commercials. They are basically done by cold call. First, scout around for the areas that you want to target, and the businesses within them. Get the info on the businesses, such as name, address, and phone number, (you can even carry a phone book with you for this) and record it on a sheet. Contact the business either by phone, or by walking in, introduce yourself, explain that you interested in submitting a proposal for a maintenance program for the grounds,and inquire about who the contact person or owner would be. Usually, they are MORE than happy to accomodate you. At this point, you can leave on a positive, cheery term, go out and survey the property, and leave to go to the next. You draw up a nice letter, (mine is already done - just fill in the name(s)) and type your proposal, and mail it out. They can also be submitted by hand, this gives more of a personal touch and willingness connotation. Then, you just sit back and wait. This is called HUSTLING WORK! And there is nothing wrong with that! The one with the ambition and hustle is the one who gets it. One good hint though... stay away from the jobs that already look good. If there is a place that has professional service already, there is no sense in even inquiring, because if they're happy with the work, chances are, it isn't worth the risk for them to even switch services. (I have loyal commercial customers that recieve bids every year, and they still stay with me - many of the bids much lower) Also, if you are treading on someone elses well maintained property, you can build a resentment against you from those servicing lco's. This is not to mention being known as a cutthroat. Nope, go for the places that need the help; that's where the market is. This was the best advice that was given to me when I broke off on MY own. Now, there is a slight variable there, because if the place looks like it needs help, many of times it's that way for a reason. This is because they are just unwilling to put any money into it. This isn't that often, though. It depends on the demographics of it. Anyway, I've "rambled on" enough, and done enough damage to corrupt your mind. Good luck with it!;)