PDA

View Full Version : Any of you DEER HUNT!

turfcare
06-16-2003, 11:11 AM
I would rather hunt than I had eat! I hunt deer, turkey, duck, and goose. Hunting has been pretty good here the past several years but we are always looking for something different. A couple of us go on two or three guided hunts every year. We are looking for a combination deer, duck hunt if any of hunters could suggest a good place to go.

Just dreaming of the fall!

Tvov
06-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Not yet. Finally got my license last year, after being bugged for over 10 years by a friend who wanted me to go hunting with him. He basically gave up on me, and now I have to work my way back into his good graces so he'll take me out. Oh, the joy of being a newbie.

ElephantNest
06-16-2003, 11:48 AM
I just picked up a Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge pump for $140.00 new at Academy Sports. Haven't hunted since moving back from upstate NY, but I am looking forward to going this Fall. My cousin goes every year, and gets his limit every year. He also hunts boars......BY HAND!! That's right, no guns, just knives. They jump on it like a madman, wrestle it into submission, tie it up, and slit it's throat. Now THAT'S nuts! I'll get my pork from the grocery, thank you.:eek:

turfcare
06-16-2003, 12:00 PM
Now that is hunting!

Grassmechanic
06-16-2003, 02:00 PM
yep, hunt deer on my property every year. Also ducks, pheasants, rabbits, squirrel.

Mike

Bigfoot
06-16-2003, 08:26 PM
I do a little hunting ever now & then, but I think I like eating better than hunting. ;)

CMLLawnServices
06-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Yep, i havn`t got a deer yet but i`m pretty confident for this year, i`m hunting archery and shotgun this year. its my third year hunting deer. there isn`t a rifle season here :mad: but i shoot alot of squirrels, crows, rabbits and pigeons . i`ve got to upgrade my license this year since I turned 16 but i`ve got all summer to do that. One this that i can`t stand is people who automatically think that because we hunt we are gonna shoot up a public place:mad: I just watched a national geographic special called "huntin in america" that mad me so mad i wanted to take a trimmer to the guy who did that interveiwing:p I can`t beilve how bias it was to anti-hunters:angry: but don`t get me started on them .My uncle use to work for ducks unlimited and is still with them occasionally. Other than that I work at the local conservation club part time raiseing wild turkeys and pheasents for release .i`m also invoved in the local public game reserve ( best duck and goose hunting around) mostly fixin dykes and water control systems. this year we had abunch of brush and topsoil back up a drainage creek off one of the dykes and it made a small pond engolfing an access road and bridge. They couldn`t get DU into blow it up for a month so we had 2 back hoes , a case loader tractor a few trucks, 3 atvs and about 9 guys out get the stuff outta the creek . it shure was fun seeing a couple thousand gallons of water go rushing into the empty creek bed. it was worth getting muddy for.
i`ll talk to ya later

jsr2741
06-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Avid bow/rifle hunter for deer and turkey. The only guided hunt I was ever on was at Redhawk Lodge in South Central Georgia and we were hunting boar.

As far as duck go, guys I work with go up into Iowa and Canada every year. They always kill around 900 to 1200 birds in a week.

If I could find one of my old hunting magazines i could tell you where a good guided hunt is in Western Illinois. Heard a lot about them and they've been featured on T.V. but the name escapes me.

You could just get a few of your buddies and buy some land together in Northeastern Missouri, some of the biggest whitetail around come out of there.

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 07:25 AM
no, hunting is cruel

CMLLawnServices
06-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Bobby :
are we gonna have this big conversation like we did on the last hunting thread. if you don`t like the subjuct don`t post on it . simple as that

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 10:24 AM
nope, not a big conversation, ill stay out of it, no problem. if shooting helpless animals, who are already half starved and frozen, and cant defend themselves, turns you on, who am i to comment? im not sayin anything, in fact, im leaving, its raining, im takin the day off and goin to atlantic city, so, have fun killing helpless animals, dont let me stop you, i wouldnt dream of it.

cos
06-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Bobby, Why don't ya keep to your soap opera type comments and questions and leave this one alone.

bobbygedd
06-20-2003, 04:13 PM
i already said im not sayin nothing.

lx665
06-20-2003, 09:38 PM
I love to hunt. I'm lucky, my tree stand is 200 yrds from the house.

John

LeoS818
06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
I use a thompson contender in 7 mm tcu with a 14 in barrel and a recoil proof 2.5 - 7 power scope to hunt deer with.

Grassmechanic
06-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Damn Leo! that's one hell of a hand cannon. Puts my Mag-Na-Ported .44. S&W 8 3/8" to shame. What's the furthest you've taken deer with it?

Mike

LeoS818
06-21-2003, 03:47 PM
I use the TC in the trees. Bout 75 yards is the longest shot Ive taken. Used one round. They say beware the shooter that uses a single shot gun, because he proabbly knows how to use it. Bobby, you belive that fishing is different than hunting? Both sports are killing harmless animals. You just use different tools.

broken leg
06-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Were do you think I got my brokenleg. Live to hunt my wife said she did not care if I ever pick up another gun.

TurfGuyTX
06-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I love to deer hunt. Thinking about it during the Summer helps me to get thru it. I got a couple of does last season. We had some nice bucks taken off our lease too.

parkwest
06-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Hey broken leg, don't leave us hanging... what's the rest of the story on the leg.

broken leg
06-21-2003, 11:56 PM
A year and ahalf ago on a sunday evening we were checking stands for a monday hunt. I climbed up to check one out and it came apart and I came down. The doctor stop counting at ten and said it was shatered and my anckel was broken. What the heck life goes on. I have not gone broke yet and still cut trime and blow to make a liveing. I also started a software company because did not like what was out there. Its called Brokeleg software I wonder were the name came from. when people say there is know GOD they need to look at me. Iam know angle but he loos after me.

parkwest
06-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I hear you on the "someone is looking out for you"

Most recently survived Nitrate poisoning. No one should have to go through the pain I went through. Thankfully a doctor, using some kind of scanner, discover the high nitrate levels in me.

First thing he asked me was I eating fertilizer? Said he had never heard of anyone with levels that high who lived.

Swampbeast
06-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Yup, first deer I ever took was with a PSE Nova bow, set at 60 pounds. Now I dont do much deer hunting, when I do I use my .270 Win.
I like to hunt hogs now. I have taken them with a spear, a bow, a rifle, and a handgun. Spear hunting them is the most ticklish. But hunting them with my Ruger Mini-14 is a blast! You have to shoot perfectly, I like to put the bullet into one ear.

Bobbygedd, you are one sad, strange little man. You have my pity. Farewell.

:cool:

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 01:47 AM
now, i tried to stay out of it, but, "strange, sad little man?" pitty me? please dont, u are well beneath me, trust me. anyhow, YOU are the one chasing helpless animals around, and then stabbing them to death with a spear. my god. tell me, are you amoung the first generation in your family to walk upright? at least cave men hunted for food, out of neccesity, u hunt for pleasure, and that is barbaric

ElephantNest
06-22-2003, 08:01 AM
LMAO @ bobby's ignorance. You show me ONE state where they ban hunting in a certain area, and I'll show you people not being able to drive to the store without hitting deer on the road. Or better yet, would you prefer to see them starve themselves to death because of lack of food, or maybe the diseases that would take over a non-controled population would make you happy. Not sure, but I do know you are as sharp as a marble, and also the most immature person I've seen so far on this forum and many others I belong to. You say you won't say anything in this thread, and then you continue, in the same sentence, of how it's murder, oh the poor defenseless animals, yada, yada, yada. I've never looked at your profile, but I'm guessing you're 15. Get a clue.

Grassmechanic
06-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by LeoS818
I use the TC in the trees. Bout 75 yards is the longest shot Ive taken. Used one round. They say beware the shooter that uses a single shot gun, because he proabbly knows how to use it.

I agree, every deer I've taken was also with one shot. However, I'll admit to having taken two shots at a pheasant or duck. But since I use a double barrel for birds, If I miss after two, there free to live another day.

Mike

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 03:28 PM
shut up. yea, uh huh, starving deer huh? it dont get cold enough here for anything to starve, o, just forget it. u like killing? think its "fun?" u need help my brother

ElephantNest
06-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Cold? Who said anything about cold? The mass numbers of deer is what would kill mass numbers of deer. They would starve themselves out......oh, nevermind....kids these days don't listen, because they already know everything.

cos
06-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Why would you click back on the post, when you said you were going to just stay out of it? Often makes you wonder.

broken leg
06-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Forget about starving deer befor it gets to that the heard will be diesease and inbreed. Speeking of inbreed some of these animal rights avocates might be.

Swampbeast
06-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
now, i tried to stay out of it, but, "strange, sad little man?" pitty me?

Yup. I cant imagine what its like to be like you. That would suck the big one. I pity you very much. Do you put make up on every morning? Just wondering.
My reasons for hunting, I don't have any high and noble reasons. Yes, it does help the deer out, its either die slowly of over population and inbreeding or a quick death through a bullet or spear. Which would you choose? I don't know about you (you never seem to make much sense) but I would gladly take the bullet over slow starvation.
First in my family to walk upright? Who said I walked upright? ;) And if I was you Bobbyboy, I wouldst go insulting the intelligence of a guy who spells better than you, uses better English, and capitalizes the first letter in every sentence. :D Heck, you even misspelled "Pity"

Have a good one, all you normal people out there!

bobbygedd
06-22-2003, 09:10 PM
well, congradulations on your outstanding vocabulary. how cum a smart man like you cuts grass for a living? i "wouldst" go insulting anyone? who said i "walked" upright? (should be, "who said i WALK upright?) . but, who keeping track ? ok, let me clarify me feelings a bit, so u fine, intelligent men can understand. WHERE I LIVE(this is a place where we dont kill 20 people a week by lethal injection, even though they couldnt get a fair trial) there are hardly any woods left. when i was a young man(21) each licensed hunter was allowed one antlered deer each year. you were also allowed to send in a request for a one day doe permit. well, there i was in the tree, and this 6 pointer walked right in front of me, i blast him with a side by side old double barrel i had. he goes down and flops, and flops, for what seemed to be hours, i try to blast him again, but the gun is jammed, and wont fire. how do i feel? i feel like the lowest form of life there is, for doing this to this animal, and now hes suffering and i cant even end him. so my buddy jumps out of his tree and blasts the deer again. the first thing i thought was i wonder if a vetinarian(spelling, im a dummy) would treat this animal if i brought it in. i found no pleasure at all in killing, and was quite ashamed of myself. i gave away both my guns, and my bows. today, there are almost no woods left, yet you are allowed to shoot about 40 deer per man, and are encouraged to take females. what burns me up is that they call it conservation, when whhat they really want, is extinction. do u also club baby seals? man, if stabbing a pig to death gets your rocks off, u should get a real charge out of bashing in a little seals head. hey, i know, why dont u take the whole family? what a nice vacation it would be. what i did on my summer vacation:" dear class, this year, my dad brought us to alaska, we had so much fun. dad gave us each a bat, and we smashed baby seals . it was great" . now why dont u pick on someone else ? for gods sake, i cant even spell, u know i must be a moron

DaddyRabbit
06-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by parkwest
I hear you on the "someone is looking out for you"

Most recently survived Nitrate poisoning. No one should have to go through the pain I went through. Thankfully a doctor, using some kind of scanner, discover the high nitrate levels in me.

First thing he asked me was I eating fertilizer? Said he had never heard of anyone with levels that high who lived.

Hey Parkwest, you wouldn't be married now would you and your significant other cooking for you? Gotta watch those women.

DaddyRabbit
06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
I used to be a big time deer hunter but mostly now only dear hunt. However, I have taken in some pretty cool rifles this yr from clients down on the payment. I got a Remington .300 ultra mag SS w/a laminated stock w/a 3.5x10x50 scope and a Ruger M-77 .270 SS w/Laminated stock as well and a Burris 3.5X10x50 nickel plated scope to match the stainless. I will be looking closely at the new H&K semi-auto rifles this yr. I only bench shoot but it sure would be a "nice to have".

CMLLawnServices
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Bobby what is your problem ? I see where you come from but u said that u would stay out of it but you are not?
and in the last post you just made you dissed the occupation that you are in? whats up with that? then you are obvously no better than the man you think you are better than.
there are always things that happen that might make you think twice but they are all better than chronic wasting desise or even mad deer deise(found in 2 wyoming deer in 1998)

any ways, Hunting is a billion dollar a year industry that employes thousands of people , and benefits the economy. also companies that make guns also make things like golf clubs. sturm ruger forages some of cleveland golf`s irons. second of all the money that hunters pay for tags, licences , game seals ect. goes back to the wildlife in conservation efforts. HUNTERS not anti-hunters were the first conservationists and still do most of the work. Foundations like Ducks Unlimited , Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation , just to name a few were founded by hunters to conserve and regulate our natural resources. when my freind and I shelled out over $400 a peice last summer to get our licenses and seals that went back to the wildlife not to mention the Conservation assosiation I work at for FREE when i`m not cutting grass that every year raises and releases wild turkey and pheasant . Hunters not anti-hunters did this now does every body that is an anti-hunter do that for the welfare of our game animals or what? If you are so concered about the welfare of our animals to diss a post about hunting , think about this, would you rather have an animal starve , ran over by a truck , poisoned, or die of a dieses than be taken without pain by a hunter and eaten? Why not boycott the golf course for destrying habitat if ur so conserned , maybe some one took a divot and killed a worm. or that house you live in ..... it was built on an animals habitat .
your country and mine was established on hunting , fur trade ect.
where i`m from hunting is a way of life and so are the shooting sports. and they issue tags for females waaayyy more often then bucks because in my county the deer are way over polulated. there where 227 deer vehicle collisions last year in a 50 mile radious. and deer out number people by 3 to 1 we have a problem here , and there isn`t enough food to support that population. some are starting to die and crop damage due to deer is doubled.
well thats all i`m good for tonite.
have a good one y`all

Thunderdogg
06-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Bobby,

Yes, I deer hunt as well. Try to do so every year if I can, but some years I can't seem to find the time being busy with work...

I don't hunt just for sport...it's nice to be able to get out in the woods for a week or two. Kinda gets you back to nature and it really helps me to relax.

Every deer I kill goes on my dining room table...i.e. it helps feed my family...

Hunting helps keep the deer population in check. A few points mentioned earlier, were the reduction of population so the deer don't starve themselves to death.

Deer have no natural predators anymore. Wolves, coyotes, pumas, and mountain lions were about the only large animal predators that kept the deer population in check. Well...wolves, coyotes (generally kill and eat the fawns), pumas, and mountain lions aren't in large enough numbers anymore to have any impact on the deer population. So this leaves the State-run wildlife agencies to come up with a plan to control the deer population, alas we get deer hunting season.

If you've kept up with deer hunting in the last several years, you'll see in most places the bag limit has gone up - even with the larger numbers of hunters, the bag limit is still going up. Where I hunt, 20 years ago you were allowed 4 bucks only. Now with quota hunts, county hunts, state hunts, muzzleloader only hunts - I can bag around 18 deer a year if I wanted to. I usually kill 2 and that keeps me supplied with enough deer meat for most of the year.

Another benefit of deer hunting is feeding the homeless...some States have adopted a deer hunting program to feed the less-fortunate and is aimed at those folks who only hunt to kill deer for sport - i.e. those hunters who don't plan on keeping the deer for themselves anyhow. They can now donate their deer to help feed others.

Lower car insurance rates and countless monetary damages to vehicles, and human lives saved because there are fewer deer running around on our nations roads are another great benefit of deer hunting.

Can you imagine the mass numbers of deer that would just ravage the crops in the U.S. if the deer populations weren't kept in check? Farmers have enough problems with deer today and are usually issued special permits to hunt deer all year round just to keep them out of the fields.

Deer have adapted to the encroaching housing/city developments of man, unlike any other animal in the U.S., which is why they thrive so well. They are a very hardy animal.

Really, do some research before you bash anyone...

Did you know there are MORE deer in the U.S. today than when Christopher Columbus first landed? Look it up...

Do a little research on deer populations and you'll see how out of control it can be.

My two cents...

TC

kris
06-23-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Thunderdogg
Bobby,

Another benefit of deer hunting is feeding the homeless...some States have adopted a deer hunting program to feed the less-fortunate and is aimed at those folks who only hunt to kill deer for sport - i.e. those hunters who don't plan on keeping the deer for themselves anyhow. They can now donate their deer to help feed others.

Now, that sounds like a great program!

Swampbeast
06-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Bobbyboy, notice I didnt say my spelling was PERFECT, I said it was better. :D

Its not my fault you were a bad shot. First deer I took I nailed him right in the heart, he stopped moving within 5 seconds, and he died in less than 30 seconds. I didnt have to shoot twice. My suggestion is that you learn to shoot before you go hunting, and then, you also learn how to clear a jam from your gun before you go hunting as well! To do any less is irresponsible hunting behavior! Any responsible hunter knows how to shoot, and how to clear a jam.
I am sorry (seriously) that you had a poor hunting experience. No hunter enjoys seeing an animal struggle and die slowly. Thats not fun.
If there is a post on deer hunting, and you know its a post on deer hunting, why did you even click on it? Why not just leave it as a post for hunters who enjoy that type of thing, and just go click on a different thread instead of coming on this one trying to pick a fight?

DaddyRabbit, be sure and tell us what that new H&K semi auto turns out to be when you get it!

There is a small charity event we do that Hunters Feeding The Homeless thing, every year out on a small privately owned ranch (only about 200,000 acres) we go out and shoot all the deer and hog we can, then go donate it. Last year we donated nearly 3000 pounds of meat! That was pretty cool.

bobbygedd
06-23-2003, 07:48 AM
im not a bad shot. the oo buckshot i was using had 9 pellets, i dug 8 of them out of the deers chest. problem is the deer was the size of an elephant. have fun, see ya all

parkwest
06-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DaddyRabbit
Hey Parkwest, you wouldn't be married now would you and your significant other cooking for you? Gotta watch those women.

Hey Daddy you're talking about the ex. The cops asked me the same thing. They wanted to know if she had any chemistry background. I said, hell man she has a degree as a medical specialist and they said.

"WOW, and your still alive"

Didn't believe it was possible a wife would do something like that to a man until I saw the video of the Texas dentist mutilating her husband by running over him a bunch of times.

Thought I would try a change of scenery. My new girlfriend is an Angel from heaven.

DaddyRabbit
06-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Hey Park, Don't trust any of them and I don't mean ANY!! Keep your hands on your wallet and your eyes on them at all times and you might and I say might survive the night. I do however wish you luck on the new angel and I'm sure she is but make sure she doesn't swap those wings in for a dagger after the 1st yr. :angel: :angry:

turfcare
06-24-2003, 05:03 PM
im not a bad shot. the oo buckshot i was using had 9 pellets,

This tells me a lot!

Myself;
Browning A-Bolt II 7mm Rem Mag w/Leupold 3.5x10x50
Mathews Legacy Bow
CVA Hunterbolt Muzzleloader

I prefer the bow!

bobbygedd
06-25-2003, 01:00 AM
i love when i hear that thing about, "there are more deer here today, than when george washington was here." HOW THE HELL DO U KNOW? how rediculous to make such a statement. ive seen the way the wars were fought baack then, stand in a straight line, and just keep shooting and see who has more guys left. and, the way they practiced medicine, a guy get pnemonia, and they figure the best treatment would be to drain a bucket of blood from him. and i should believe they had some kind of sophisticated way to count the deer population? please! anyhow, one last question, in all seriousness. lets just say this "deer management " thing continues. every man is allowed 40 deer per season, of course every man will not fill his limit, but, in 50 years, do u think there will be more deer than there are today? less? none at all? be honest now.

turfcare
06-25-2003, 11:13 AM
anyhow, one last question, in all seriousness. lets just say this "deer management " thing continues. every man is allowed 40 deer per season, of course every man will not fill his limit, but, in 50 years, do u think there will be more deer than there are today? less? none at all? be honest now.

Read This!

http://www.thesi.com/whitetail-news-three.html

turfcare
06-25-2003, 11:20 AM
And This!

http://newyorkgameandfish.com/ny_aa103602a/

turfcare
06-25-2003, 11:32 AM
And This!

http://wofford.org/southernseen/1998archive/19990105.htm

turfcare
06-25-2003, 12:00 PM
And One More!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/deerandhumans.html

To answer your question honestly, I think there will be at least if not more deer in 50 years as there are now. You can thank hunters for their conservation efforts the past 50 years. I think we have done a pretty good job!

bobbygedd
06-25-2003, 01:39 PM
ok, higher bag limits, and decreasing habitat=MORE DEER? well, if u really believe that.....anyhow, let me kick this around a bit, do a little math. less habitat, higher bag limits, less habitat, higher bag limits. well, sorry guys, according to my arithmatic, there will be less deer, and eventually, no deer. im outta here, have a great day

Thunderdogg
06-25-2003, 01:51 PM
OK, perhaps you haven't taken notice then....

Deer have adapted to having LESS natural habitat to survive in and HAVE adapted to the habitats created by man. Which is why people have deer running around in their backyards, eating crops, and playing in the roads causing xxxx #'s of accidents per year.

So yes, while other species die out because of the threat of mankind, deer have adapted to it and are thriving.

TC

bobbygedd
06-26-2003, 01:39 AM
so then, in 50 years, when there are no woodlands, where will they "thrive?" maybe get an apartment or something?

Thunderdogg
06-26-2003, 03:28 AM
Uh yeah, "when there are no more woodlands left"...

Looks like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing...

DaddyRabbit
06-26-2003, 06:34 AM
Recreational Hunting is rapidly becoming extinct for all natural purposes. The increased numbers of people as well as the declining woods or deer environment is taking it's toll. The younger generation really doesn't have the same interests as we may have had when we were younger and this shows in the lower #s of hunting licenses sold each yr. I see it in the not to distant future as being a sport that you have to include a guide who has access to large plots of acreage. I personally have no problem w/the sport as long a bullets don't come "zinging" through my house while some "clem" is shooting from the road in his truck at a deer. I hate to see the decline as it were but it is inevitable as time marches forward.

Swampbeast
06-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Hey, everybody, just ignore Bobbyboy, and maybe he will go away. He is just trying to argue for the sake of argueing. People like him will never understand, simply because they dont want to undestand.

Hey ParkWest, you know that Texas dentist that ran over her husband like 5 times? That happened about 2 miles from my house at the local Hilton Hotel. :( I would not stay at that hotel for ANYTHING. In the past three years, there have been three murders there! And the cops caught a rapist with the girl he was in the process of raping in the parking lot of the same hotel! I think they need to post an armed guard in the parking lot.

parkwest
06-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Woman deer hunter

While a Texan was busily preparing for the first day of deer hunting season, his wife started nagging that he never asked her to go along. After several hours of argument the wife won.

The next morning they drove out to the country, and he stuck his old lady up in a tree about 100 yards from his blind. Just as the hunter reached the blind, he heard a loud bang coming from the wife's position.

As the Texan ran up to her, he saw that she was holding her gun on a man nearby and shouting, "It's my deer! Get away from it!

The sheepish-looking stranger just nodded slowly and said, "OK, lady... It's your deer. Just let me get my saddle off of it!"

mower_babe
06-30-2003, 11:41 PM
:laugh: LMAO.

GreginAlaska
07-01-2003, 03:57 AM
I hunt, I was born to hunt because I was born a predator. I have 2 eyes on the front of my head. Predators enjoy the hunt. The most exciting thing I have ever hunted is another human.

I wonder if Bobby eats meat? If he does then he is just another who is too weak to do their own killing. If he just eats plant life then he preys off of something that has NO chance of escaping him.

What it comes down to is that something has to die for us to live. Death is never pretty so get over it.

Sheesh

BTW when commercial seal hunting was still legal I did kill a number of baby seals with a sludge hammer. $15.00 a hide . The last year it was legal I killed several hundred of them, most of them with a rifle.

T-N-T Lawn Care
07-01-2003, 08:33 AM
I thought this was funny!

Tina

Swampbeast
07-01-2003, 08:38 AM
TNT, ha ha! Thats great! I think I saw that in some hunting magazine a while back.

Gregin, AMEN!

bobbygedd
07-01-2003, 09:07 AM
clubbing baby seals to death.....your family must be proud

turfcare
07-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by GreginAlaska
The most exciting thing I have ever hunted is another human.

What is that all about? :confused:

Swampbeast
07-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Bobbyboy, aren't you a bass fisherman? What do you think that is? Its the same thing! Only you lure a poor innocent little fish into biting a vicious metal barb, then cruelly yanking him to the surface, where he cant breath, and either throw him in the ice chest to slowly die or you toss him back in the water so you can rip a barb through his mouth again. Does all that sound like ****? It should. Because it is ****. And it sounds just like you do while your badmouthing hunting. You hypocrite. You are so full of **** its simply amazing.

I don't see why I am wasting time replying to you, people like you are like parrots, just sitting there mindlessly repeating what they have been told, you cant reason with them, because they are blind to reason.

parkwest
07-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Bobby,

It's not like in your picture books out there. Nothing lives forever. You can't "save" the animals and give them eternal life.

kris
07-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by GreginAlaska
I did kill a number of baby seals with a sludge hammer.

Greg ... sounds like you would fit right in on our hockey team. You could swing a mean hockey stick I bet.:)

bobbygedd
07-01-2003, 01:24 PM
matter of fact, im the baddast all around fisherman on the east coast, however, my fish are caught on fair and even terms. its a bit different from eliminating their habitat, cramming them into a small patch of woods, and then blasting them with long range, automatic weapons. cmon man, youre talking a world of difference. what i do requires skill, deer hunting, though the skillful hunter will be more productive, is now turning more and more into a scenerio where, the deer just have no where else to go

LazerFan
07-01-2003, 01:49 PM
I could be wrong but I dont think fish have any feeling in their bodies.
Hunting would be a sport if you gave the animals guns to shoot back and or first.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Swampbeast
07-01-2003, 02:11 PM
I do agree that when it comes to being sportsman like some of the rifles and equipment on the market is a bit much. Thats why I hunt with a .223 Mini-14 the most, you have to get real close up (within 50 yards) and you have to shoot perfectly. Since they have superior noses, superior eyesight, superior hearing, and superior camoflauge, I think its more than fair that way.

You dont trash thier habitat? What about those boats you use? Those dont produce wake that erodes the banks?What about the pollution? What about your depth finders and fish finders? Its the same thing. And what about the fish? They are kinda stuck in the lake arent they? No where else to go.
No, fish dont experience pain like we do. Neither do animals. They simply dont have the nerve endings we do to experience pain like we do. Why else do you think critters can chew thier own leg off when stuck in a trap? It simply doesnt hurt them.
Hypocrite.

LazerFan
07-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Hmmm, I think the fish have to bite the hook first. So the fish have the right to choose:D
NOw the deere don't come up and put their mouth on the butte of that high powered rifle, do they?
YOu can tell I dont have anything better to do when I am argueing on this subject LOL

Swampbeast
07-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LazerFan
YOu can tell I dont have anything better to do when I am argueing on this subject LOL

Ha ha! To true. :)

I am sick of this. Why dont we just leave it at this, I choose to kill a certain type of critter, you choose to kill a different type. Everything is cool, just forget about it. This is getting ridiculous.
Bobby, at least your not a complete loss! You do still fish, that means you havent completely gone off the deep end! :D

bobbygedd
07-02-2003, 02:41 PM
yea, yea, yea. once again, ive made my point, and since u r all running out of "comebacks" u want to "throw in the towel". well, ill just put this little debate in the "W" column, and move on. GO BOBBY, GO BOBBY, GO BOBBY.....

GreginAlaska
07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Ya Bobby, my parents were proud of me when thet were alive.

Hey Kris, yes clubbing those baby seals did help my hockey playing...it's great practice!

Turfcare, I've hunted people for an agency of the US gov and as a skiptracer.

I am Me
07-02-2003, 03:30 PM
I am an avid hunter and fisherman. Have hunted all over South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Texas. Bow/Rifle/blackpowder, whatever. Its great. I strongly subscribe to the theory ,"eat what you kill". My old man made sure of that. My old man built rifles as a hobby, so I have seen plenty of terrain in my day. Nothing like poppin' Coyotes on snowy afternoon.

There is a place in Northwest Missouri about 80 miles outside of KC called Mound City. They sit right on the Squaw Creek game refuge. it is on the flyway for ducks and geese and they have spectacular hunting there. Lots of the local guys guide. It is a sleepy little farm community and the prices are reasonable. They also have some outstanding deer hunting. Last year they took a 200+ BC Non-Typical off of some land just outside the refuge. Check 'em out.

Texas has great deer, hog, turkey, pheasant, quail, dove, and varmit hunting. Depending on how serious you hunt horns will reflect in the price. They can get down right expensive quick.

Bass fishing can't be beat down here. We have over 50 lakes with in driving distance of D/Fw, but 3 that have produced state record Bass. Lake fork just threw a 18+ pounder and routinely puts out fish over 12. Crappie is also outstanding in the lakes around here.

As far as rifle selection I use a Remington stainless .270 in a mylar stock. Top it with a Luepold 3.5 x 10. Put 440 grams of lead in the front to keep it from hopping and man it shoots dead on . also dropped the trigger pressure to 6 pounds for an easy squeeze.

Personal best is a one shot drop on a buck at 310 yards outside of Throckmorton.

Any responsible outdoorsman is a friend of mine!

:D

LeoS818
07-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Bobby SHUTUP

mower_babe
07-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by LeoS818
Bobby SHUTUP

Hey, hey, hey...

I know I am in "ManLand" here and I am sorry to jump in, but I have been watching you guys.

Swampbeast, with all due respect---where in God's name did you come up with your theory of animals not having nerve endings or being capable of experiencing pain??

As far as your highly developed thesis on how an animal can chew off their own limb if caught in a trap--I can tell that you put alot of time and higher level thinking in on this one, but...the reason is out of necessity, not lack of nerve endings.

Swampbeast, I don't disagree with you on the need for some population control, by hunting and the other reasons that were sited on this thread. Just on your unfounded statement about an animals' inability to experience pain. I have seen animals in pain, and believe me- they are able to feel..if you have never seen this up close, than you are a lucky man.

No, I am not a tree hugger.
No, I am not a member of PETA.
No, I am not a vegetarian, I even eat venison that my family hunts.(sorry Bobby)
Yes, I have shot an animal before.

Swampbeast
07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Dear Mowerbabe,

They dont experience pain like we do. Go look at their nerve endings. Seriously. Go down to your local veterinarian and watch him work on an animal, if you get to know the vet, he will let you in to watch. Now, go get some pictures (because surgeons wont let you in to watch a human surgery) and compare the two. Any doctor/veterinarian could tell you that the nerve endings don't exist that transmit the "Pain" feeling. And there is another problem, animals dont have the mental capacity to feel pain. Pain is mostly the way you think about it. Ever notice how some guys (or girls) can stick their hand in hot water and hold it there a lot longer than someone else? Pain is mostly in your head.
Where do I get this info? My veterinarian, who hunts as well. Then I decided to test this theory by asking the doctor that operated on my grandmother, he agreed. Plus research I have read about in various magazines, Popular Science and The Medical Journal, two very up to date publications.

Now, I am NOT saying animals dont feel stuff, but they simply dont go through the mental agony that humans go through when they get shot or maimed. Animals dont have emotions. They just react. They feel the bullet enter thier body, but they dont think "I just got shot! Oh my! I am gonna die! Oh no! Who is gonna look after Jr.?!" They dont do that. Something thwacks em so they take off running. They just dont have the brains necessary to feel pain.
And Mowerbabe, you neednt worry, nowadays there is precious little that is still considered "Man's Land" :D

As to you Bobby, you notice I did not say I ran out of comebacks, I got sick of arguing with the Human Broken Record! ;)

Swampbeast
07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by I am Me
Top it with a Luepold 3.5 x 10. Put 440 grams of lead in the front to keep it from hopping and man it shoots dead on .

Never heard of this. You put lead on the scope? Where at? Tell me more, please!

mower_babe
07-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Swampbeast, Thanks for explaining what you meant, you are more of a gentlemen than I thought you to be.;)

Have you ever had the opportunity to hunt Elk? A customer of mine is a huge hunter and he goes on these Elk Hunting Exhibitions. We have eaten Elk once from him.

(Sorry to jump to conclusions about you.)

turfcare
07-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by mower_babe

No, I am not a tree hugger.
No, I am not a member of PETA.
No, I am not a vegetarian, I even eat venison that my family hunts.(sorry Bobby)
Yes, I have shot an animal before.

My hats off to you mam!

turfcare
07-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by I am Me

There is a place in Northwest Missouri about 80 miles outside of KC called Mound City.

Do you have any more information on this place or who I might could contact? Thanks!

Swampbeast
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Think nothing of it Ma'am.

Yes, I have hunted elk, I think I enjoyed the scenery and the camping and hiking more than I enjoyed actually shooting a medium size bull elk. Absolutely beautiful country up in northern Colorado, I took a ton of pictures. I'll see if I cant get a few pictures and post em.

Speaking of eating the things we hunt, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with nearly 300 pounds of whitetail when its already ground? I also have about 25 pounds of elk, about 15 of duck, and an entire deep freezer full of hog. Is there any combination I should try to make sausage, I have heard of some recipes for mixing these different species, but never have actually gotten my greedy grabbers on one. So, if anyone has an actual recipe, and is willing to share.....please do!

And Bobby, why dont you come down here to Texas, I will make sure you have a good hunting experience, you might end up liking it again. Who knows? You might enjoy the exhilaration (sp?) of having to get within 5 feet of a hog to kill it with a spear.

Ah heck, why dont you all come down and we'll have us a big ol' Texas style barbeque! :)

turfcare
07-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast

Speaking of eating the things we hunt, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with nearly 300 pounds of whitetail when its already ground?

I make jerky out of ground venison! It is great!

GreginAlaska
07-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey Swampbeast, I wonder if he meant he put the 440 grains of weight somewhere in the stock? You can also ad weight to the end of the barrel to change the vibrations of the barrel as the projectile moves down it. If you get the right weight and cause the round to exit the barrel at the neutral point, you will get the most accurate shot. I think 440 grains might be a lot of weight for that. Browning and Winchester have the BOSS system where you can adjust the position of the weight and tune your barrel to the load instead of tuning the load to the barrel.

turfcare
07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
GregInAlaska:

What is the weather like up there. It is about 90+ here today.

parkwest
07-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Does anyone else hunt elk on here?

Haven't seen an elk since this morning... the herd on the side of the hiway going into Boise. They're just pets, though.

swampbeast sounds like you still carrying enough meat to make it through to the next hunting season.

I could send you a couple of human garbage disposals down there if you need any help cleaning out the freezer to make room for next season's harvest.

Mowerbabe, you hunt? or just teasing again?

broken leg
07-03-2003, 09:08 PM
What we like to do is soak deer meat in butter milk over night flour and pain fry make a little gravy:p :p :p :p :p :p boy is it good.

ElephantNest
07-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Try this on venison, from Rob Salamida. This stuff is awesome. I have had venison MANY ways, nothing has topped the flavor of this State Fair Sauce. It is bottled individually to produce perfect mixture each time. (*Drools) I will put the link, can be ordered from their site, I usually get the 4-bottle package deal, and everyone who has been lucky enough to be over when we were using it has completely loved it. Just thought I'd share. Let me know what you think if anyone orders some.

LINK>>http://www.spiedie.com/products.htm

mower_babe
07-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Parkwest,
when did I tease the first time?

I speak the truth, I would not want to be an "ultimate" liar.

;)

LeoS818
07-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Butterfly the back straps. Soak them bout 15 mins in Dales seasoning and italian dressing. Put a few slices of jal peppers and a pat of cream cheese in it. Wrap it up with baccon using tooth picks. Then grill. Best cooked on charcol.

GreginAlaska
07-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Turfcare, it is 69 F and sunny. I was just sitting out on my deck, drinking a Coke and looking at my unfinished yard.

Summer is great here...too bad it can't be like this all the time. ;)

Randy
07-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Yes I love to hunt. I hunt just about everything that has a season. Just wish I had more time to hunt.:)

CO.d 502nd
07-05-2003, 10:59 PM
You guys dont know what hunting is until you go on a coon hunt with me.

Turn them blueticks loose and listen to pack get on the trail of a coon.
Ive hunted elk ,deer .bear
But there just aint nothin like going on a coon hunt with them bluetick dog baying .

bobbygedd
07-06-2003, 01:02 PM
what do u do with the coon after u murder, i mean, shoot him?

jsr2741
07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
I can answer that one Bobby. We skinned him, took his hide to Kansas City to sell. Use to make a fair chunk of change that way.

We did have a few old timers who would take the carcass and cook it to eat.

Before you start hootin about how unfair it is to hunt coon, anyone who does it will tell you that the dog is what you use to kill the coon. The .22 just gets him to the ground so they can fight.

bobbygedd
07-07-2003, 08:08 AM
now thats what i call fair. you invade the animals home, when he runs up a tree to hide, you knock him out of the tree, so that one or two trained animals, 10 times its size, can mangle it. wow, that sounds really neat! where do i sign up? yea right, i think u folks need a check up, from the neck up. that rates right up there with clubbing baby seals. shame on you

Swampbeast
07-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Once again Bobby, your ignorance shines through. Obviously, you have never seen a coon and a dog fight. A medium sized coon can hold off a dog "10 times his size" (although that is a gross exageration, more like 3 times his size) and, if the coon can get the dog into water (such as a creek or a lake, or whatever) the coon will 9 times out of 10 win the fight.

I still dont understand how you can fish, which is killing animals, and yet still sit there and condemn the rest of us for killing other animals. Do you have any idea how hypocritical that is?

And I have a question for you, do you like to eat meat? You know, beef, veal, pork, bacon,eggs? If you answer yes to any of that, well, your helping kill all those "Poor innocent creatures" such as cows and pigs and baby chickens. And if you like veal, guess what that is? A young calf. It makes it really hard on all of us to believe you or take you seriously when you are so two-faced.

ElephantNest
07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
http://pnavy.com/nest/albums/SomeStuff/sucks6.jpg

I am Me
07-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Swampbeast/Greginalaska,

Greg is right. I had the gunsmith put the lead in the front of the stock, spread over the last 1.5 inches. And I should have said grains, not grams. (thanks Greg!) They also put in 2 resined match sticks into the bedding that hold the barrel at true. This creates a "guide" for the barrel to come back to at cold. Keeps it very accurate.

You would think that 440 grains would be a lot, but with the synthetic stock being so lite, it tends to do 2 things-Bounce when shot from the recoil, and it doesn't have enough front end weight to sit heavy in the forward palm, thus causing crosshairs to wander. So long story short, I find it to be very comfortable and not heavy or awkward.

I sight my rifle at 1"over at 100 yards, or dead on at 200. With this system on a bench with bags I can shoot a group of 3 that you can cover with a dime. I choose this distance because I can just point and shoot at any target out to 300 yards. Just keep in mind how much rise and drop you have with your ammo.

Biggest advice I can give , is shoot your rifle a lot. get used to it and know how it shoots at cold, and at hot. (the barrel) Most rifles will move after the barrel heats up, some as much as .5 inches. Since most kill shots are performed on a dead cold barrel, let your rifle cool after sighting it in, to recheck. take notes and measure the movement from hot to cold. This way you will always know where to place your shot. This has a profound effect when you start getting into long range shooting.

Good shooting!

bobbygedd
07-07-2003, 01:16 PM
there are animals that were raised for food, and there are animals that were not. pigs, chickens and cows were raised by man for food. lets face it, your full of it on the "racoon can easily beat the dog" nonsense, the coon dont stand a chance while u are standing there with a gun. you are being cruel to both the dog, and the racoon, for no other reason than the fact that it somehow"gets your rocks off". now that my friend, is weird, and just plain sick. you are gaining pleasure, and personal satisfaction by watching something die. pray brother, pray

Swampbeast
07-07-2003, 01:48 PM
IamMe, oh okay. Now I get it. Cool, I might need to do that on a couple of my synthetic stock rifles.
Good advice about the hot and cold barrels, I will have to do that on my 7MM Ultra Magnum, I dont really like making 500 yard shots, but with that rifle, anything less than that is to easy! Ha ha! Awesome gun, really awesome cartridge.

Bobbyboy, so I am to think that because one animal is specifically destined for the plate, its okay to kill them? But if its wild, to kill them is evil? You are very messed up.
Have YOU ever seen a coon fight a dog? Obviously not. I have. I have seen a coon whoop my Pitbulls butt! I have also seen a coon hold a Bull Mastiff off for nearly 30 minutes.
Actually, I dont hunt coons. I have seen it done a couple of times, but hunting with dogs is just not my style. I prefer stalking the quarry myself. But, if anybody wants to hunt coons with dogs, that is fine with me, I dont care. I support them completely.
You know, I read your posts, and I laugh. I cant help it! They are so silly! You are very inconsistent.
My offer still stands, you come down here, and I will make sure you get a good hunting experience, and we will see what you think of hunting after that.

By the way Elephantnest, I like the pic! :D

john wesley hardin
07-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Id like to know how any body who has never been on a coon hunt could know how a coon would do in a fight with a dog.

Ive had blue tick dogs blinded in fights with coons.As far as the animal haveing no chance at all ,ive hunted bear with nothing but a 12 inch bowie knife.

Mister swampbeast
I like all fassets of hunting ,ive hunted all over the united states and other countries around the globe ,some times legal ,some times illegal.Ilike hunting with bluetick dogs i like hunting byself.

Also id like for the anti hunter guy to go to a stock yards and listen to the pigs squeal.See the cows get there brains bashed in by the efficent machines they use to kill them.
Then you think about that bacon and beef you eating.

Btw We not only keep that coon hide we eat that coon to,a coon cooked right tastes better then a beef roast.

JWH

Swampbeast
07-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by john wesley hardin
Id like to know how any body who has never been on a coon hunt could know how a coon would do in a fight with a dog.

JWH

When you live close to some woods like I do, but still near to civilization, coons are very common. Coons are forever popping into my backyard and the dogs are fighting them. Usually I manage to get out there and pop him with my .223 before the dogs get hurt, But sometimes it goes on for a while before i get out there.

Bear with a bowie huh? Now thats a little to much for me. I prefer a good .45-70 lever action or something along those lines, knife? No way. Not for me. I'm to chicken!

Rooster
07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Swampbeast,

I have to agree with you about hunting a bear with a 12" bowie.

He must be a modern day Daniel Boone.

Rick

:eek:

Thunderdogg
07-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Bobby,

Did you actually graduate High School?

It's not cruel to kill an animal that is raised for eating, but it's cruel to kill wild animals such as deer?

Deer have to be hunted, they have a much better chance to survive than a cow that's locked in a 4' x 8' cage. Living it's life unable to move because the meat get's too tough and gamey tasting if the cows are allowed out for exercise.

Where can a cow run to when it's time for it to be killed?

Cows are killed because people like to eat steak...there is no other reason to kill a cow.

Deer are killed to help control the deer population (go back and read all the reasons why a well-maintained deer herd is necessary), AND because people like to eat venison.

Are the fish you catch raised only to be eaten? or are these "wild" fish you catch out of a lake or stream?

Look up the word hypocrite...I don't think you understand what it means...

I am Me
07-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Turfcare,

There is a Taxadermy shop there in town that can give you numbers to the local guides.

You can also contact the Squaw Creek national game refuge and they will tell you as well. As far as local contacts, I think a guy named Randy Derr is still doing some guiding or booking hunts.

I'll try to find out some more info and post it.

good luck.

jsr2741
07-07-2003, 08:42 PM
We're I grew up black and tans were the dog of choice. They were relentless in a fight.

Hey Bobby, you said certain animals were raised to be eaten. Well what did the caveman do for food. I don't remember seeing or reading any anthropology studies stating that the caveman bred and raised pterodactyls for eggs or brontosaurus for steak.

parkwest
07-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Anyone use Redbones?

We have a couple here.

They seem to fear nothing no matter how big.

They are sure different than my brittany.

john wesley hardin
07-07-2003, 09:12 PM
I used redbone hounds,red and blue ticks and walker's each have their strength's i admire .

But to me the bluetick is the second best breed of dog on earth.

hunter
07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
i have a southern black mouth cur that I use for coon, squirrel and hog hunting. these dogs love the hunt for game and will track just about any game.

Best dogs around. Even take him with me on the jobs and he won't let anyone near my trailer or equipment without tearing them apart.

If you never hunted with dogs you've never hunted.

bobbygedd
07-08-2003, 01:13 PM
actually, i quit school when i was 16, and just think, i probably make twice (or more) what you make. cavemen, u know, the next step up from the monkey that YOU evolved from, killed out of neccesity, not for pleasure. im not too keen on the caveman thing though, i am a direct decendent of a man named adam, i didnt evolve from an ape, you, though, may have. and fishing? no rods and reels my boy, i put a knife between my teeth, get naked, and dive in, you should really check it out sometime.

ElephantNest
07-08-2003, 01:46 PM
LMAO !! Too much! LMAO !!

We believe you, Bobby. :rolleyes:

Swampbeast
07-08-2003, 02:22 PM
actually, i quit school when i was 16

no rods and reels my boy, i put a knife between my teeth, get naked, and dive in, you should really check it out sometime.

I believe the first part, :D

And as for the second part, Now THATS fishing! ;) :D

mower_babe
07-08-2003, 05:47 PM
no rods and reels my boy, i put a knife between my teeth, get naked, and dive in, you should really check it out sometime.

Yowzers!! Watch that knife, Bobby! That could leave a mark!

I am Me
07-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Turfcare,

Here is a great link for Hunting info in Missouri.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/Mo-CA-maps.html#guides

Here is a good contact for finding out about hunting in the area. His son is a good friend of mine.

Squaw Creek Sporting Clays - 20184 Hwy. E, Mound City, MO. 64470. PH# (660) 442-3163, Fax (660) 442-3163. Contact: (660) 442-5900 Sa/Su John Ingram. 80 miles N of Kansas City, less than 1/2 mi. off I-29. Public. Hours: S/Su, 10-5; Weekdays by appointment. Reservations: Recommended. Sporting: 1, 18 stations. HT: 70'.

I'll keep looking. Good luck.

parkwest
07-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Bobby,

What kind of fishing do you do that you need a knife between the teeth for? lol

Sounds like fun, though.

Do you need a special permit or is the knife covered under a regular fishing license?

CMLLawnServices
07-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Heres more proof of why hunter`s are so vital in an ecosystem like the one I live in .
This is an article fron the city an hour away from me . Pop: 350000

http://www.fyilondon.com/cgi-bin/niveau2.cgi?s=societe&p=69405.html&a=1

parkwest
07-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Anyone want to come out here and run there dogs on some mt. lions this winter?

turfcare
07-09-2003, 09:21 AM
I Am Me

Thanks, I will give that a look! We are always looking for something new. I found approximately 200 acres in my area that I am going to lease. Season is looking up!

turfcare
07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Anyone want to come out here and run there dogs on some mt. lions this winter?

That sounds fun!

parkwest
07-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Brings new meaning to having your trophy mounted. LOL

Pelican
07-19-2003, 11:26 PM
This one's for bobby!

Pelican
07-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Go bobby, Go bobby, Go bobby.....

Pelican
07-19-2003, 11:35 PM
bobby, bag limits are adjusted annually after researching the deer population each year. We took 48 deer last season in my neighborhood, yet I counted 23 deer in my yard last week. Deer management is just that, management of the population.

You're in luck however, the number of hunters is on the decrease, one of the reasons for the increased bag limits. The deer population is on the increase too for this reason. Extinction? Ain't gonna happen!

Swampbeast
07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Pelican, those are some nice bucks you got there, very nice. Wish I lived up there! Well no, but I do wish I could hunt up there!

Pelican
07-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Swampbeast, here's a buck my buddy got in the next County. An 8 point, but the biggest spread (22") and heaviest tines I've seen around here. The base is almost as thick as a wrist.

One of the guys got a 12 point, it looked like it had a briar patch up top! I missed the outdoor lineup for photos by 10 minutes, it was pretty impressive!

DanG
07-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Pelican,

Some nice bucks there.

We had a nice one taken off of my in-laws property last year(made my 4 pointer look tiny)LOL

I missed a nice one with my bow last year in the same spot that the big one was taken, rushed the shot and killed a tree instead.:(

Dan

bobbygedd
07-21-2003, 10:20 PM
if it continues this way, extinction is inevitable. its not CONSERVATION, its MANAGEMENT. managing the population, till its gone.

Pelican
07-21-2003, 11:18 PM
bobby, before management, deer were taken 365 days a year as a food source and as were needed. Today in NY, you can hunt 3 weeks out of the year with firearms and and 5 weeks with bow. 365 vs. a max of 35. The number of hunters is on the decline. How does this add up to extinction?

Conservation and Management go hand in hand, without limiting the overall deer population, a good portion of them will end up starving to death. My area is one of the most densely deer populated regions in NY and it's not uncommon to find a carcass in the woods due to starvation.

Face it, you don't give a toot about the deer, you just don't like hunters! You're really beginning to sound foolish!:p You ought to try sitting in the woods a while, might cure you of that canine phobia.

bobbygedd
07-22-2003, 02:21 PM
"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today. there also wasnt rapidly decreasing habitat back then as there is todayyou couldnt do drives with 3 men back then, u needed 100, there were too many other places for the deer to run other than right at the guys on the recieving end of the drive. now, u can succesfully drive around here with 2 walkers and one stander, they got no where else to except into the waiting man. look, if u agree habitat is decreasing, where will they go when its gone? live in a condo maybe? thin the herd to match the habitat, eliminate more habitat, thin the herd to match the habitat, eliminate more habitat.......where does it end up?

lee b
07-22-2003, 09:32 PM
[B]"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today. B]

Damn, I just can't understand why ole Daniel just didn't use his RIFLE, which he was reportedly a very crack shot with. Not a student of history, huh, bobby? Get a clue.:rolleyes:

Thunderdogg
07-23-2003, 01:55 AM
So going along with Bobby's theory, does anyone else here really think that someday in the future there will be no natural habitat (i.e forests) for our over-populated deer herd?

I for one find that to be kinda silly.

- There are federal and state protected lands that will always be around.

- There are millions of acres of forests owned and managed by lumber companies. Forests that are cut incrementally and replanted...otherwise said-lumber companies would go out of business.

- Millions of acres of privately-owned land (forested of course).

- Acres and acres of commercial-owned hunting lands. Yes people are in the business of charging for prime-hunting lands, or leasing lands to hunters.

While some forests are being cut and cleared for human development, there will always be tons of places for deer to thrive.

Deer don't need forests to survive in, they have adapted just fine to cleared farm land.

It's amazing how many facts have been laid out for you, including several links to articles about how the deer population is out-of-control and population control is a NECESSITY, and you still rant and rave about how deer will have to live in "condos" in the future.

Get a grip Bobby...please

Swampbeast
07-23-2003, 12:39 PM
"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today.

Ha ha ha! Go read your history books a little better before you go spouting off! Daniel Boone and men of his day could pick off a corncob at up to 500 yards using IRON SIGHTS! 500 yards is quite a shot by todays standards, even using super accurate rifles with massive scopes and high powered ammo, that is a very long shot.
When the .50 Sharps rifle came out during the Civil War the longest accurate shot officially recorded was 1123 yards.

Please, use your head for something besides a hat rack. Remember this old proverb, "It is better to let people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." :D A bit late for you though.....

bobbygedd
07-23-2003, 09:03 PM
500 yards huh? history, isnt it only what the person writing it wanted someone else to know, or think? i bet more than half the garbage u read in history books is false, fake, made up. let us break down the word: his - story. privately owned land, huh? intersting. a friends of mines parents were FORCED to sell thier farm, which had been there for generations. they werent even made an offer, they were given a check, and x amount of time to get out! and these "state lands" will be gone too, the almighty dollar talks, everywhere. when there are no more woods to hunt in, and finnally interest in the "sport" decreases, and they are not making big money on licences and so on, they will sell and develop the state lands too. then what? hey, i got an idea, maybe u can raise them? yea, from an incubator, to a pen in the back yard, and then when they are big enough, u can blast them. yahoo, what "sport". o well, i guess no matter what i say, its not gonna make sense. its ok, i just hope we are not here to see it happen. anyone ever hunt elephants?

Pelican
07-23-2003, 10:21 PM
i guess no matter what i say, its not gonna make sense.
Geez, and here I had this big insult planned....you stole my thunder!!!

Swampbeast
07-23-2003, 11:22 PM
let us break down the word: his - story.

anyone ever hunt elephants?

No, that would make the word "Hisstory", in reality -where I and most other people live, but not you obviously- its history. Also, what you said is right. Different people put different slants on history. But, check them all. Go ahead, read all the different history books, all of them! They all agree on one thing; the Colonial Minuteman and Soldier was a simply amazing shot out to incredible ranges. Its one of the main reasons we were able to defeat the British and thier incredible infantry. Please, go read your history books before you start babbling incoherently again. Dont just spout the mantra you hear from the Liberal press, do actual research about it and try to present your difference in opinion in a logical and sane manner.

Hunt elephants? No. Not yet. But I will one day! BANG BANG Baby! I will send you a pic...:D

bobbygedd
07-23-2003, 11:42 PM
sure, i saw movies about american history, there was quite an interesting plan when going into battle. walk face first directly into the enemy, take your shot from 15 feet, then charge them with your bayonette. stop talking garbage will ya. they were not marksmen, nor were they very bright. they were able to hunt for survival because there were mass numbers of animals available. now, back to the deer. i would expect the hunter to gather all his information from sources that provide information that is comforting. you will never convince me that decreasing habitat, and higher bag limits will mean more deer. it makes no sense whatsoever, to anyone, hunter or non hunter. mathematically, its very simple,keep taking, and not replenishing, you end up with nothing. very simple. not only do u kill female deer, but u do it while they are carrying young. enough of this dumb conversation. . nothing at all against hunters, but lets tell it like it is. there is no conservation in this practice. 500 yards huh? that is too funny. yea, i guess if i were to write a book about myself and my generation, that i knew people would read in 300 years, id write things like that too, and how i wrestled a bear, and beat up a whole tribe of indians single handedly, i probably wouldnt mention the time i shot myself in the foot while cleaning my gun, or the time i boned the neighbors wife, or drank so much home made booze i puked for 2 days. history, its a fairy tale. lets see, when u tell your children about what you were like in your younger days, you are passing on a bit of history yourself, arent you? what do u tell them? the good things, or the bad? beef it up a bit too i bet. later, and catch me an elephant will ya

Pelican
07-24-2003, 07:32 AM
mathematically, its very simple,keep taking, and not replenishing, you end up with nothing.
bobby, you should have paid attention in biology class, there's this thing called reproduction. Deer replenish themselves, at a rate of often times two a year. A male deer can mate numerous doe which often results in twins or even triplets.

Most of the deer's natural predators do not cohabitate well with humans and move on when development takes place. The deer adapt to their surroundings and eat whatever plant types are available where they are.
you will never convince me that decreasing habitat, and higher bag limits will mean more deer. it makes no sense whatsoever, to anyone, hunter or non hunter.
You're destined to living misinformed, your views are just plain WRONG! If you don't believe us, then ask any Conservation Officer, or do you think they're in on the conspiracy too?

bobbygedd
07-24-2003, 08:26 AM
when 'practicing what you call conservation, the practice is clearly this: as you diminish habitat to develop land to make room for human interest, there is no where else for the deer to live, so u eliminate them, little by little, to match the habitat which has now been decreased in size. keep repeating the process, and the outcome is obvious. sure, deer can "adapt" to small areas to live in without predators, they have learned to adapt through neccesity, but this is where starvation and disease occur. very limited food supply, polluted water, not to mention tractor trailers, and then of course there is opening day of hunting season, at sunrise all u can see is a small army of moronic men, women , and children wearing blaze orange and smoking butts. what you are practicing is not conservation, it is elimination. o, and i should ask a conservation officer? ya, ok, isnt that like reporting the robbery to the thief? how does he make his living? smell the coffee already.

Grassmechanic
07-24-2003, 10:16 AM
when 'practicing what you call conservation, the practice is clearly this: as you diminish habitat to develop land to make room for human interest, there is no where else for the deer to live, so u eliminate them, little by little, to match the habitat which has now been decreased in size. keep repeating the process, and the outcome is obvious. sure, deer can "adapt" to small areas to live in without predators, they have learned to adapt through neccesity, but this is where starvation and disease occur. very limited food supply, polluted water, not to mention tractor trailers
Would you care to explain why there is little to no deer starvation in the over populated southern half of Michigan, while the unpopulated, wild Upper Peninsula looses over half the deer population every year to starvation? It's because of the snow cover. In the U.P., hunters, not bambi lovers, feed the deer in the winter to stave off starvation. Hunters do more good for wildlife than the Bambi lovers have ever done. Come to Michigan and I'll prove it to you.

Mike

Brickman
07-24-2003, 11:06 AM
well, congradulations on your outstanding vocabulary. how cum a smart man like you cuts grass for a living? i "wouldst" go insulting anyone? who said i "walked" upright? (should be, "who said i WALK upright?) . but, who keeping track ? ok, let me clarify me feelings a bit, so u fine, intelligent men can understand. WHERE I LIVE(this is a place where we dont kill 20 people a week by lethal injection, even though they couldnt get a fair trial) there are hardly any woods left. when i was a young man(21) each licensed hunter was allowed one antlered deer each year. you were also allowed to send in a request for a one day doe permit. well, there i was in the tree, and this 6 pointer walked right in front of me, i blast him with a side by side old double barrel i had. he goes down and flops, and flops, for what seemed to be hours, i try to blast him again, but the gun is jammed, and wont fire. how do i feel? i feel like the lowest form of life there is, for doing this to this animal, and now hes suffering and i cant even end him. so my buddy jumps out of his tree and blasts the deer again. the first thing i thought was i wonder if a vetinarian(spelling, im a dummy) would treat this animal if i brought it in. i found no pleasure at all in killing, and was quite ashamed of myself. i gave away both my guns, and my bows. today, there are almost no woods left, yet you are allowed to shoot about 40 deer per man, and are encouraged to take females. what burns me up is that they call it conservation, when whhat they really want, is extinction. do u also club baby seals? man, if stabbing a pig to death gets your rocks off, u should get a real charge out of bashing in a little seals head. hey, i know, why dont u take the whole family? what a nice vacation it would be. what i did on my summer vacation:" dear class, this year, my dad brought us to alaska, we had so much fun. dad gave us each a bat, and we smashed baby seals . it was great" . now why dont u pick on someone else ? for gods sake, i cant even spell, u know i must be a moron

I have one sentence for you bobby, ONE SHOT ONE KILL. That is how I hunt. And I will have to say you have no clue how conservation works. So until you do please refrain from spouting stuff that isn't true.

Brickman
07-24-2003, 11:49 AM
.................not only do u kill female deer, but u do it while they are carrying young. ....................................

You know nothing of what you talk about dude. Hunting season is in the fall, and the rut takes place after hunting season. At least it does where I live.

And while we talk about the unborn young where is the outrage against abortion, the murder of unborn human beings??

Dude you blast hunters but defend fishermen. Its all the same, so stop your hypocritical rantings and go enjoying your fishing and let the hunters enjoy their hunting.

Swampbeast
07-24-2003, 01:45 PM
sure, i saw movies about american history, there was quite an interesting plan when going into battle. walk face first directly into the enemy, take your shot from 15 feet, then charge them with your bayonette. stop talking garbage will ya. they were not marksmen, nor were they very bright. they were able to hunt for survival because there were mass numbers of animals available. now, back to the deer. i would expect the hunter to gather all his information from sources that provide information that is comforting. you will never convince me that decreasing habitat, and higher bag limits will mean more deer. it makes no sense whatsoever, to anyone, hunter or non hunter. mathematically, its very simple,keep taking, and not replenishing, you end up with nothing. very simple. not only do u kill female deer, but u do it while they are carrying young. enough of this dumb conversation. . nothing at all against hunters, but lets tell it like it is. there is no conservation in this practice. 500 yards huh? that is too funny. yea, i guess if i were to write a book about myself and my generation, that i knew people would read in 300 years, id write things like that too, and how i wrestled a bear, and beat up a whole tribe of indians single handedly, i probably wouldnt mention the time i shot myself in the foot while cleaning my gun, or the time i boned the neighbors wife, or drank so much home made booze i puked for 2 days. history, its a fairy tale. lets see, when u tell your children about what you were like in your younger days, you are passing on a bit of history yourself, arent you? what do u tell them? the good things, or the bad? beef it up a bit too i bet. later, and catch me an elephant will ya

HA HA HAA! Your so full of it! Ha ha! This is so stupid I cant even get mad about it, its so idiotic!
Bobby bobby bobby, my dear boy, why dont you take a drink of water, breath deeply, relax, go lay down. Take two aspirin.
Now, according to what you just said, the Americans were not marksmen. Okay. Now it really is time for a history lesson. Back then, there were two very large factions fighting the British, the Regulars, (also called the Continental Army) were the ones that stood in perfect rows, about 30 paces apart, lined up, and blasted each other. You are right, no skill involved. Just see who can take a beating the longest. However, there were other people, called the Minute Men. (You know, Paul Reverie and His ride?) These were basically guerrilla ware fare tacticians. They would snipe at the British troops, and engage huge masses of infantry from great distances with a very small number of men.
Have you ever heard of the Kentucky rifle? Very accurate. You know, every time you post, it just becomes more and more obvious how very little you know. Seriously, go read a history book, it will take you about 2 hours of reading and you will be much smarter for it.

Bobby, when you shoot a deer, there are more deer out there that are having more babies, and during hunting season there are no pregnant deer! Again! You show your absolute lack of intelligence. Go do some actual research on this, its basic biology. I am seriously beginning to believe you when you said that you quite school at age 16.

I am sure some history books are glamorized about our past, who doesnt? But there is more proof about 500 yard shots with iron sights using a blackpowder rifle. Go to a Muzzle Loading Competition, they are all over the place. They have very long range competitions, I have personally competed in a 700 yard match. (I missed, but another man made it within 1/2 inch of the center of the target) This was using unrefined powder, Kentucky rifles made the same way the old ones were, and normal lead balls. Your arguments are null, your logic not sound, and every time you open your mouth, more nonsense and hypocrisy comes out.

bobbygedd
07-24-2003, 03:46 PM
hunting season here ends the end of february, so shut up. the rut occurs during oct/november. hunting for both male, and female deer(and spotted deer) is in season from mid sept till late feb. so clam up!its all a money making scam. its a "pay per kill" system. if the deer were over populated, you would be able to buy a license, and there would be a set bag limit. instead, u have to buy a license, then "extended season" permits, then purchase permits to hunt in different zones.then, and this is my favorite, in december, when the females ARE PREGNANT, by law you must shoot a female first BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE A MALE! pathetic! they are making fools of you and you dont even realize it. they will blow as much smoke up your butt as it takes to sell you $2000 worth of permits. yup, ah huh, "there were more deer today, than when christopher colubus was here", what nonsense! how do they know? and u r ignorant enough to believe it, or maybe, your belifs are just very selective, it makes u feel better to believe it.

Brickman
07-24-2003, 03:53 PM
So bobby tell us how many fish you have killed that were almost ready to spawn??

HUH Dude, give it up, you are only makin your self look silly. I don't agree with killing a pregnant any thing, the seasons here are not like yours, so your arguements do not hold any weight for where I live.

bobbygedd
07-24-2003, 04:37 PM
me? kill fish? im stricktly catch and release. why all the bread crumbs and fresh lemons? i just like bread crumbs and lemons, so what.

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 12:46 PM
TURFCARE,
DO A LOT OF DEER AND TURKEY HUNTING IN YOUR NEIGHBORING COUNTY (LINCOLN).

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
do u hunt bare?

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 04:34 PM
NOT YOU AGAIN!

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 04:37 PM
yes, its me. did u miss me?

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 04:40 PM
ONLY ON THE LAST HUNTING TRIP

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
HUH? you hunters are all the same

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 04:52 PM
YES WE ARE. YOUR A PRETTY SMART GUY. SAY, YOUR A BIG HUNTER RIGHT?

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 05:24 PM
no man, i dont hunt. hunting around here anyway, has gotten so rediculous, well, u read what i wrote. but you are right about one thing, i AM a pretty smart guy

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 05:25 PM
I THOUGHT SO.......

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 05:30 PM
well, youre a pretty smart guy too, for being from tenn anyway

lawn perfection
07-25-2003, 05:34 PM
thanks for the compliment! i get them alot.

GreginAlaska
07-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Bobby Dude, you are way screwed up about the accuracy of the old rifles.
The guns the British army used were smooth bore, no rifling at all, they wanted them to be inaccurate. The reason they did this is because they felt it was immoral to pick out one particular guy and shoot him, they thought it would be better to have a bunch of guys point their weapons in the general direction of a bunch of other guys and let it fly. Nobody would be able to say who shot who.

When Washington built his army he used his training as a British Officer to build it, but he did make some changes to his "morals" IE the Christmas raid across the Potomac.

The "Kentucky Long Rifle" (it was actually from Pennsylvania) had a 30 something inch rifle on it. It had a rifling in the barrel that gives the projectiles a spin...this makes the round fly straighter. Those rifles were very accurate...the only weak point would be the lack of a telescopic sight, but a guy with good eyes would do very good with it.

Today we use much shorter barrels (convienence and weight) with higher rates of twist and velocity to accomplish what our ancestors did with the long barrels.

bobbygedd
07-25-2003, 11:06 PM
and let me guess, u talked to old george just the other day? because, i would find that more believable than the junk i read in history books

GreginAlaska
07-25-2003, 11:24 PM
So you would rather believe that I am 250 years old instead of multiple sources from history?

You need to go back to "Common Sense 101" dude.

I have a Kentucky Rifle that was handed down and I also have a copy of one that I shoot every now and again. I wouldn't shoot the original because it is worth big bucks (because of who originally owned it) and it might not be safe.

I was going to say I can hit a man sized target at 600 yards with the copy and hit the target everytime at 300 but I guess you could say my father or grandfather or great grandfather etc. lied about the history of the original. Or you can say the copy really isn't like the original.

OH well. can't talk sense to this person.

parkwest
07-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Greg, have you not been introduced to greatest comic genius to hit this website since the late great Mr. Stone?

Do you think you would get a straight answer from Redd Foxx?

Just let the humor of bobby's statements sink in and you'll have a more enjoyable experience. LOL

bobbygedd
07-26-2003, 08:56 AM
comic? genius? scuse me sir, i am neither. but gregg, why did your ancestors even use guns? i thought you got more pleasure out of clubbing, and i dont mean putting on a nice shirt and painting the town. ok, ok, u guys win, hey, according to history, do u know how old george died? do u know how the doctors treated him for the illness that killed him? anyone follow the o.j. simpson trial?(btw, not guilty was the correct, and most fair verdict that could have happened)

lugnut#6
07-26-2003, 09:02 AM
did the doctors "bleed" him to death?

OJ DID IT!

Pelican
07-26-2003, 09:52 AM
See here's your problem, bobby: Somewhere inside that skull of yours some wires are crossed and causing you to spit out all kinds of ridiculous statements, none of which make any sense to someone who knows a little about the topic. Now the short circuit is causing you to make a correlation between deer hunting and OJ Simpson. You really ought to see your Doctor before you do something to hurt yourself.

Brickman
07-26-2003, 11:34 AM
LMAO

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bobbygedd
07-26-2003, 02:33 PM
lugnut, according to documentation, george came down with pnemonia, and the day after treatment by the local physician, he croaked. yup, the treatment was to poke a hole in him, and drain a bucket of blood. they would have been better off taking pop shots at him from 500 yds. and pelican, my doctor says im just fine as long as i stay on my medication. as far as o.j, i mean, mr. simpson, i was not trying to relate that to deer hunting, i was just changing the subject.it is clear to me now that what happens here in nj is not the same as what happens where u boys live, but soon enough, it will be, then, maybe u will understand. and btw, u saw the verdict, not guilty. if he did it, why was he let go? and finally parkwest, thanks for the compliments, just a few things i need to make clear. i will share my lunch, share my equipment, even share my wife, but, i will not share a pitcher of beer, its mine, all mine.

Swampbeast
07-26-2003, 03:20 PM
Bobby, you are one screwed up and strange sad little man. Again, you have my pity. Farewell.

bobbygedd
07-26-2003, 09:10 PM
why?

parkwest
07-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Bobby, you're a bright guy... you have to ask??

It's because you won't share your beer, MAN!!!

Don't you know about always buying the first pitcher of beers and making sure everyone in the place knows you're buying it... from then on everyone else will take turns buying because after the first couple of beers everyone will be feeling so good they won't remember who's turn it is to buy, but they'll all remember you bought the first round when everyone was sober.

bobbygedd
07-26-2003, 09:37 PM
and i am not sad

GreginAlaska
07-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Hey Parkwest, when it comes to firearms I have absolutly no sense of humor. It is my right to keep and arm bears.

Anyways....

Hey bobby, My ancestors didn't club animals to death, just me. I'm a white guy who was born in Alaska but all my ancestors are Southerners.

I thought they put leaches on old george to bleed him first??
That's what I remember...but it was a long time ago...I'll have to check my journals.

Swampbeast
07-27-2003, 08:09 AM

It's because you won't share your beer, MAN!!!

Exactly!

bobbygedd
07-27-2003, 09:27 AM
i dont know if they put leeches on him first, either way, it didnt work out for him. either way, it is impossible, when reading history books, to separate fact from fiction. its like being a juror on a trial. there are no real "facts", there is only testimony, you , as the juror, have to decide what is fact and what is fiction. is it cold in alaska? how do you keep your igloo from melting when you put the heat on? do eskimos really rub noses as an alternative to kissing? sounds good, the toungh thing is a bit disgusting if u think about it, i try like heck to avoid it. is it really dark half of the year?