PDA

View Full Version : Fire!

Green in Idaho
06-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Well I'm sure the FFs are looking at this one.

For those in the dry areas this could be a great add-on or primary service:

Tis the season for Firescaping.

Green in Idaho
06-16-2003, 11:46 AM
here is an excellent site for some resources too http://www.firewise.org/urces too:

lawncare3
06-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Maybe I should think of that for around here.

Green in Idaho
06-18-2003, 06:47 PM
I did several around here. We have lots of homes next to dry foothills.

Search your newspaper archives for past articles on homes burned down in past fires if there have been any. Repearting that headline in an ad can get people's attention.

It's a good fit for landscapers. Already have the tools, trailer to haul debris, maybe sprinkler knowledge for modifying systems.... etc.

Check with your local fire department to see if they do any informational campaigns. One hear goes door-to-door to talk to people about it. Timing along with such a campaingn would be nice. Around the 4th is good time too since people are worried about fireworks going astray.

Green in Idaho
06-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Bumped per the recent fires and homes destroyed.

rvsuper
06-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Bumped per the recent fires and homes destroyed.

What???

Green in Idaho
06-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by rvsuperintendant
What???

Bumped- moved back to the top to show it again
per- due to
recent fires- seen the news lately? Fire and structures lost.

Once again it's the start of the fire season. For some areas that's important. Firescaping is meant to reduce the risk of losing a home to a wildfire... Here is ANOTHER opportunity where landscapers/lawn people can make a difference in people's lives.

4th of July and the dry season (for some) is the time to SELL that service-- for those it applies to ob course.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Let us know how it works, don't want to add it to my "marketing flops" thread.

Green in Idaho
10-27-2003, 01:26 PM
I would like to bring this back to the top due to the California fires.

This is one area where landscapers and landscape maintenance people can make a BIG difference.

Condolences to those with family losses and property losses and best of hopes for those in the path of the fires...

grshppr
10-27-2003, 05:31 PM
I've done a bit of that type of work this spring and summer. I never thought of doing a perimeter sprinkler system. Thats a great idea. Also setting up a roof top sprinkler system for houses with cedar shakes would be a great thing to sell too. I sure hope the weather starts to cooperate with the fire fighters in California.

Green in Idaho
10-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Yes sprinkler are one part to it.

Although there is one problem with perimeter and roof sprinklers if the are on city or neighborhood water.... pressure.
Put a BIG fire next to a neighorhood and you'll see how many people can turn their water hoses on at the SAME TIME.

Well water, reserve ponds, and dedicated lines and neighborhood awareness. Coordinating neighbors when to use and NOT use. One wildfire I was involved with had people 2 & 3 streets away from the fire watering their roof tops thereby taking the pressure away from those homes right next to the fire.

More effective is a perimeter system that can occasionally water and support a 'buffer zone' to provide green protection before it's needed.

There's also a fireproofing liquid available to spray on the shake shingles.

But ANY improvements are helpfull and if it just gets homeowners thinking about it.... :)

tiedeman
10-28-2003, 12:28 AM
interesting

MCS Lawn Care
10-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Well this really does not have anything to do with lawns or firescaping but, i just got back from Cali. fighting the fires and and it was insane.

chris

Green in Idaho
10-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Chris, please tell us more!

MCS Lawn Care
10-28-2003, 08:24 PM
not to much to say im a paid firefighter here in jersey an i aslo work for the forest fire service iv been all over the country and this is about the worst i have ever seen. when we go they send us in crews of 20 firefighters and all we do for like two weeks is hike throught the mountians digging fire lines(clearing away the brush and "duff" from the ground) and "backfireing"(once a line is cut you tourch a fire to burn towards the main fire in order to protect the house). very tireing work only get like 2 house of sleep a day, very little foor and water but i love and hope to go back soon.

chris