PDA

View Full Version : beware of woodchippers

cfosceola
06-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Landscaper Killed After Leg Gets Shredded In Woodchipper

POSTED: 9:57 a.m. EDT June 16, 2003

ALLENHURST, N.J. -- A landscaper who kicked a tree branch to force it into wood chipper was fatally injured when his legs got pulled into the shredder.

Monmouth County authorities identified the man as Rigoberto Martinez, 20, of Long Branch, an employee of MJR Tree Service in Long Branch.

Martinez was feeding branches into the industrial-size chipper outside a private residence about 10:40 a.m. Saturday when a branch became stuck in the intake chute.

Martinez then kicked the branch, and his right foot somehow became caught in the machine, which also pulled in his left leg, authorities said.

The homeowner, Victor Towil, called police and first-aiders. Robert Honecker, an assistant county prosecutor, said the chipper had been shut off by the time help arrived, but it was too late to save Martinez.

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 02:44 PM
guess they need to put a "do not put arms or legs in this machine" sticker on them.. duhhhh.

turfcare
06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
That is terrible. Not a preferred way to go.......

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 03:10 PM
saw on the news where an employee at a meat processing plant had his entire body pulled thru a meat grinder after attemting to un-clog the grinder.

Gravely_Man
06-16-2003, 04:32 PM
That is awful. You can never be too careful. Accidents like this should never happen at all.

Gravely_Man

fblandscape
06-16-2003, 04:57 PM
That's the WORST way to go with a machine like that. Should it ever happen to me, I would much rather it be head first. Less suffering :(

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
06-16-2003, 06:54 PM
This is why I think the direct feed chippers should be banned and have them all come equiped with feed roles like the Morebark machine,It has two spring loaded feed roles and there isn't
any of that quik jerking like the Asplund brand,I have used both and have lost plenty of gloves when it grabs the limbs,Off they go.

GraZZmaZter
06-16-2003, 07:18 PM
That is absolutely horrible. My condolences to the family of the young man.

Incidentally, why does Jimmy crack the corn?

fblandscape
06-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Lawn and Garden Guy, both machines are equally dangerous. Only with the fast feeds, you are dealing with small brush. The big ones, you are dealing with wood a lot of the time.

Doogiegh
06-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Of all the ways to go, that has to be one of the top 3 worst...

I mean, at some point you KNOW you're going in, you can't fight quick enough to stop it, and I don't know just how far you'd get before you'd lose consciousness, but man, that is just absolutly incredibly terrible..

And not only that, but then for the crew and homeowner to come out and try to save the guy, what a mess and a mental nightmare that you'd never get over for the rest of your life....

General Grounds
06-17-2003, 12:27 AM
:blob3: i happen to know the cousin of the man killed, the cousin who i know is a local landscaper seems that when he kicked the branch in with his foot a portion of the branch caught his pant leg and he could free himself, even to fast to activate the reverse on the hydro feed, what a shame. tony

wacamaster
06-17-2003, 12:50 AM
the reverse bar is located above the chute so if your going in you grab it and it will reverse. Don't see how you could miss it. And why kick the stuff? just use the hydrolic lift to widen the opening.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Have used them alot, but have a great deal ofrespect for them. You loose respect for it it will get you. Using these things is not just feeding stuff into it. You must be aware of lots of things and dress appropriately.