PDA

View Full Version : Alergies? This ever happen to you?

Jimbo
06-16-2003, 02:34 PM
I woke up last night (after being asleep for 2 hours), and my eyes felt like someone had threw sand in them. They hurt so bad that all I could do to make them better was rub them and that just made them worse. If I tried to open them they would water so badly that I had to shut them.
I really felt like I needed to go to the emergency room but I didn't want to bother my wife and child just to sit in an emergency room for a few hours. I took a shower and some pain meds which allowed me to get to sleep after about 4 hours of pure hell.

I had this happen one other time about 2 months ago and I figured it was something I got from my daughters daycare. I went to the doctor today and they told me it was allergies. I have never been allergic to anything at all. They gave me a prescription for eye drops and told me to use them every day for the next month and we should be out of the allergy season.

My question is has anyone else had this problem? What kind of light weight breathable glasses can I wear to help keep dust and allergen's away from my eyes? Keep in mind I cant even wear a hat because it makes me extra hot.

Jimbo

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 02:38 PM
yep. i wear contacts so it's that much worse with al of the dust and pollen. i take a benadryl before i leave the house for work. helps some.

Westbrooklawn
06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
My eyes have always been sensitive, but they are especially bad this year. I think the idea of taking an antihistamine before you go out is a good idea. If it bothers you again, I have found that Bausch and Lomb makes an eye wash that contains boric acid, and it gives me very quick relief.

turfcare
06-16-2003, 02:59 PM
I have not experienced that but my eyes will start to itch after a full day. I can't take antihistamine because it knocks me out. Some times I do take benadryl before I go to bed. It seems to help but I am very grumpy for the next 24 hours. I get by by taking decongestants, keeps me breathing anyway.

Grassmechanic
06-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Yep, didn't have allergies until my late 30's. I use Flonase everyday. Much better now.

Mike

Jimbo
06-16-2003, 03:19 PM
You 3 are driving me crazy since you all have the same avitar.

battags
06-16-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm starting to wonder what's going on myself. Yesterday after mowing my throat started getting pissed off at me. Now, my sinuses are joining in the fight.

I don't know anybody who's been sick and the only thing I can think is that it's allergies. Like poison Ivy, I've never had allergies before. Last year, I got poison Ivy for the first time. I'm 27 and falling apart!

Gravely_Man
06-16-2003, 04:22 PM
My allergies seem to get better every year but then again it is probably the same and I just don't care any more. I find that Flonase and drops help be out a lot.

Gravely_Man

Jimbo
06-16-2003, 05:24 PM
I was reading that antihistimenes (not spelled right) such as Benedryl do not work properly for what I have been diagnosed with. If you have had watering, itchy, eyes check out patanol.com

This is what i was prescribed and is supposed to work great.

FYI- I read that it does not get in through your eyes instead you breath it in.

Jimbo

TurfGuyTX
06-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the allergies. I've taken Zyrtec and don't have any kinds of allergy problems anymore. Before, when I could, I used "Naphcon A" allergy drops. They are great if only your eyes are being bothered by allergies. I'm lucky my sister works at Alcon. She could get me those $10 bottles for $2. Good luck with your fight.

greensummer
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm allergic to "Xmas trees": get a nasty rash on my legs & thighs. But I use an Allergy relief medication and I'm fine!

;) Tommy

jsaunders
06-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Pollen counts are through the roof this year in the north east. Last year is was dust in the eyes- this year it's pollen. Mowing the the trac-vac on and going under a pine tree there are giant clouds of yellow pollen. I get SO happy when I have to use the Trac-vac. Joel

DLS1
06-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Can you think of something common you did the last time you had the attack and this time when you had the attack?

grassyfras
06-16-2003, 10:45 PM
I take Claritin or Clarinex. My cousin is a doctor and swears by it. So I can't argue with him.

Doogiegh
06-17-2003, 12:23 AM
My allergies used to be so bad as a teenager that my brother was the one who cut the grass at my parents house. People laughed when I told them I was in the lawn business, knowing my past allergies problem.

I found Allegra-D by prescription. I take it every day, at 7 AM and 7 PM. It's a 12 hour pill. It does not put me to sleep at all, clears the nose and leaves it fine all day. The only problem that my allergies will catch up to me is if I forget to take the pill OR I'm in the shop and under the mower deck a bit to scrape it off. Then it's simply too much pollen going in the nose. Other than that, it's great.

Even though I have a prescription plan available to me, hell, I'd pay $1.00 a pill for the stuff, for ME it's that good.

Gary

cos
06-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Going to get surgery for my sinuses tommorro. I have never had them that bad while in my sleep, as a matrter of fact...never. Sleep is usually the cure when I get them that bad.

roscioli
06-17-2003, 12:33 AM
I have never had problems until this year, I can barely breath out there this week... It seems like unless its raining, I need to wear a mask or something. SOrry, another useless post not helping you in any way... just wnated to comment.

battags
06-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Speaking of masks.....Do any of you wear masks to mow? I've thought about it, but don't know if it is worth looking like a dork while working.

Mask or no mask, that is the question.....

turfcare
06-17-2003, 10:51 AM
I am going to start wearing a mask this week. I don't care what I look like as long as it works.

mtdman
06-17-2003, 11:15 AM
I had a real problem with tree pollen this year, which is very unusual. Only lasted a few days. My ex-partner had a huge problem with ragweed and every year he would suffer in August and September.

I keep a big bottle of natural tears eye drops for allergy problems. Usually works for me pretty good.

:D

Bluesteel
06-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Prevention. Forget about the drugs. If an accident should happen (traffic or otherwise), EVERY prosecuting attorney in the world would love to hear you were medicated. Oh wait, someone makes an allergy medication that won’t make you drowsy, yeah … right.

I have plenty of allergies. No matter what, sometimes they strike and there’s nothing I can do about it. About twice a year, they put me down for a day. I go home and get plenty of water and sleep, then the next day things are totally workable.

Never the less, I wear protection 100% of the time. Otherwise, I don’t mow, edge, and especially don’t operate a blower. Aside from nature, there’s no telling what the long-term effects are from exposing yourself to the “latest chemical lawn treatment.” I’ve tried most everything, but what works the best for me are Motorcycle Goggles and Surgical Masks.

The Surgical Masks are the pre-formed type, Aseptex (blue in color) by 3M. The only thing these masks have in common with the cheapo painter/construction masks you can find at Wal-Mart is that they fit on your face. Aseptex Masks are EASY to breath through, even when you get sweaty. Doctors only use the best, these are it. There is no comparison between these masks and anything else.

Scott Motorcycle Goggles, or something similar use a ˝” foam gasket to totally seal around the eyes and over the Surgical Mask. They are available with tinted lenses, protect against projectiles, and keep particulates (dust, allergens, etc.) out of my eyes. However, even though these types of goggles are "breathable", they get sweaty when it’s hot outside, so I have two pair. When I get through with a lawn, I’ll leave the last pair on the dashboard with the windows rolled up. With all the heat in the cab, by the time I start on the alternate lawn, the sweaty ones have dried. It only takes about 10 minutes to wash them in the sink and they’ll dry overnight.

I sympathize with your experience. Lots of people haven’t had to deal with that, so they’ll point and laugh at someone wearing protection. I laugh on the way to the bank.

Expert Lawns
06-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Clarinex saved my life. I have always had the worst allergies of anyone I knew. One tablet before I leave will last me all day long. Also, use some really good kleenex, the stuff with aloe and blow your nose alot, you might not need to, but for some reason, it helps my eyes not water. (i'm not a doctor, but all i know is that it works). also, maybe take an extra shirt or two, change them a few times a day or at least once. Get some of that pollen off of you, it makes a world of a difference. When I do my laundry, I use a detergent with an allergen in it that specifically fights off all the stuff that you're allergic to. hope this helps.

pottstim
06-17-2003, 02:24 PM
With all of the rain we've been having, it puts the mold counts through the roof. This is one of the worst allergy springs for me that I can remember. I just take my allegra and tylenol sinus and live with it. :(

Jimbo
06-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks Everyone. I thought that all the rain would be washing the pollen and other allergens away. I guess not?

Jimbo

battags
06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
I just got back from the doctor. He gave me Rhinocort nose spray. He said it should keep me clear if I use it on days I'm mowing.

cos
06-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Just back from the doc as well. Hopefully this surgery will help with the congestion and the shots I have to take weekly will knock out the allergies.

battags
06-17-2003, 06:47 PM
DUDE! :eek: I thought I was feeling like S#*T! Are you sure you didn't just really piss off one of your customers, or something? :D

HarryD
06-17-2003, 09:18 PM
did they take out some cartilage from inside your nose so you can breath better. I had snoring surgery and the inside of my nose fixed 5 years ago. It had been broken pretty bad once and restricted my breathing. Had my tonsils and my uvula remove for the snoring part. I sleep like a rock now:)

Jimbo
06-18-2003, 12:16 PM
HarryD- I sleep like a rock too...its my wife that cant sleep:D :D

COS- damn that looks painful. What exactly did they do to you??

Jimbo

Expert Lawns
06-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Also, try going to bed with a wet/cold wash cloth over your eyes before you go to bed and right after you wake up. it helps tremendously......

Jimbo
06-18-2003, 06:00 PM
When I was in terrible pain the other night the only thing that did provide relief was a cold wet rag on the eyes. Its hard to get to sleep like that though and it didn't make it go away it just made it bearable.

jimbo

cos
06-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

They cut away polups (sp) from my sinuses. The only thing that hurt was my throat from the tube being down it. The top of my mouth was also sore. No fights this time. LOL

He said (Doc) that he had to fix the serious devated septum before they even started surgery. Everytime I bend over, I drip alot of blood. Sucks, but from what I hear from others, it is well worth it.

I hate the fact of having to get shots every week for 6 months.

rixtag
06-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Cos,
I had the same surgery 2 years ago because of constant sinus infections. It sucked for about 2 months and then I was able to breathe and smell like never before. I was down for a week. You now know what it is like to have cotton-mouth :D

It will amaze you how much of a difference it makes!

cos
06-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Yeah man,

I get alot of scummage around the mouth. I can't blow my nose for a week. I want to blow all the **** out of my nose, but can't. Dissolvable packing. I have to rinse with saline solution every four hours. I've talked to few that had the surgery and others that know of it and said the same thing. Great results. The allergy shots will help too.

NNJLandman
06-18-2003, 09:52 PM
heh funny you talk about allergies. I have them. Grass Pollen kills me but doesn't stop me. Usually bothers me for about 2 weeks but i take one of those medications and im good for the rest of the year!! NOTHING CAN STOP ME!!!! Oh sh*t....dam rain.

hlgmoney
06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
There is no one alive on planet earth with worse allergies than me. When I went to the allergist two years ago for testing, he almost freaked out. The shots and a Clarinex every day really help out. It's certainly not a cure, but it really helps.