PDA

View Full Version : Echo submersed, still running!

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 03:08 PM
My grandpa has a pond and wanted the cat tails cut down in it. So I took my little inflatable boat and the SRM2400 split boom with hedge trimmer head on it and we put a battery and 36# thrust Minn kota motor on it (moved good and fast) but the motion of the trimmer swinging back and forth was too much motion for the boat and motor to hold and I couldn't run the motor and trim at the same time (not enough room for 2 in the boat) so we eventually tied a rope to it and they pulled me around the pond. Well once I lost my balance and the trimmer, all of it, went under water for a split second, I turned it off and pulled it out in one quick motion but it was smokin and sizzlin. Got out on the bank and pulled rope about a half dozen times before I realized the switch was off LOL so I turned it on and it fired right up. The air filter was still dry so that gives you an idea how long it was under, but I was still impressed... took a few minutes for it to smooth out after it got running. Here's a pic:

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 03:10 PM
This job was alot harder than it looks beleive me LOL my legs are still sore from holding that out there like that....

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 03:11 PM

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 03:14 PM
And I just HAD to try using the b/p blower to propel the boat :D it worked good with the tube in the air or below water (made a nice rooster tail) but it worked best just hovering over the water's surface. It got it moving about as fast as the 36# thrust Minn Kota motor... when I retire this blower I'll probably use it to make a radio controlled hovercraft LOL.

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
be careful about how many you cut at once. when they start to decay they eat up a lot of oxygen in the water and can lead to a fish kill.

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll tell Papaw... kinda too late though we already cut them all :(

Gravely_Man
06-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Was the water too cold to just wade into and cut them that way?

Gravely_Man

BSDeality
06-16-2003, 05:07 PM
i've heard that if you don't want them to grow back that you should cut them off below the waterline.

grassdaddy
06-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Looks like Papaw could use a few of those grass eatin Carp.:rolleyes:

bushwoods1
06-16-2003, 05:14 PM
I like the blower motor :drinkup: :drinkup:

Phishook
06-16-2003, 05:27 PM
A pair of chest waders would have worked better. Lucky you didn't nick that boat with the trimmer.

FrankenScagMachines
06-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Gravely_man, alittle cool yes, and some parts were too deep.
BS you are probably right, i'm no pond expert but this is what he wanted done ;)
Grassdaddy, he has some and he also has dyed it (works like sunglasses to help keep down that stuff) it is hard for him to keep up with the pond but he enjoys having it :)
Phishook, it's skill, not luck my friend :) the blades are nice and sharp though :D We didn't have chest waders. We use what we got...

cajuncutter
06-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Would a spray kill been more effective? And on that note Has anyone here heard of using cheap weed and feed to kill out small areas of moss? A buddy of mine was watching a fishing show and they had a small segment on it but he could not really remember what all was said. If so I need to hit Wally world or the Depot. Our lake front is horrible!!

rvsuper
06-16-2003, 09:57 PM
I don't think it would be a wise idea to spray weed in the middle of WATER. The EPA would be on your *****!

cajuncutter
06-16-2003, 11:23 PM
I do not see why it would be a problem. If that is a small private pond with oly vegitation and you want to get rid of it using round up then why not? What would be the difference if it were tall weedy cat tails in or out of the water? Also my lake is privately owned. As far as the trick with fert. no one has replied. There are a lot worse chemicals going into the water from the local farmers having their crops dusted. Pure 2 4 D is a little radical compared to weed and feed.

ffemt1271
06-16-2003, 11:42 PM
there is a liquid spray that is a contact killer called CUTRINE PLUS (think thats how you spell it) that is for killing water weeds. you can also use copper sulfate pellets to do the same thing

Piedmont Lawn
06-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Nice Pond,

Leave the cat tails so the fish will have some cover and work a plastic worm or spinner bait right in front of it. If the cat's start to take over wait till the water warms up and wade in and do some selective weeding.

Post more pic's of the Echo jet boat........:D

Later
Klez

EJK2352
06-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey BHB,
Tell Gramp's to get some Rodeo herbicide and spray those puppies!!! Rodeo is Roundup (Glyphosate) that is labeled for aquatic weed control. Works great on cattails

HarryD
06-17-2003, 01:32 AM
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0011.html

lawncare3
06-17-2003, 01:37 AM
Why does the guy in the 3rd pic down have a paper filter on his face? And no hearing protection?

Just giving u a hard time looks good. I might do that blower thing thanks for the idea. :D

NCSULandscaper
06-17-2003, 01:47 AM
You do know now that you have cut all those cattails they are going to come back twice as thick and spread even more. learned that the hard way in my pond so i just leave them there now

FrankenScagMachines
06-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Klez it's a Kawasaki KRB400A blower... more pics later don't have my disc with me that they're on.

turfcare
06-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Klez-Cuts

Leave the cat tails so the fish will have some cover and work a plastic worm or spinner bait right in front of it. If the cat's start to take over wait till the water warms up and wade in and do some selective weeding.

Now that's a good idea!!!:drinkup:

Eirik
06-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Utmost respect BHB, I know a lot of guys take their licks on ya...

First: If you really want to get rid of cat tails pull em...but, I know Grandpas...

Second: Sorry to say, I like Brush Hog Boy better.
Greetings from the Northwest.
Oh yeah, and that "lawngodfather" is old, out dated, and deaf to new ideas, or should I say ideas that don't belong to him.

Enviro Green
06-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Pulling is too much work and you need to thin them before they take over the entire pond. Cattails are a species which actually will cause a wetland in time by finning in the pond with more organic matter than can decay, however they do provide excellent habitat for fish, etc. The best thing to do is to wait before they bloom and spray them with Rodeo it has the exact same ingredients as Roundup as stated earlier, so you can read the labels and use your judgment, but it will really knock them back. Kill the ones farthest out and leave some by the shoreline. They will grow back, but with two apps last year I killed 100's of them from my pond it is in much better shape now and the fish are happier too!

Just my thoughts as a chemical jockey.

EG