PDA

View Full Version : Swing Sets

mh1314
06-16-2003, 05:36 PM
After mowing two yards back to back with swing sets and then bidding another with a jungle jim, I came to the conclusion that I hate them. Not what they stand for in regards to kids, but the fact that they are a pain in the butt to mow around. It's hard to believe that something with six poles on the ground can slow down and mess up a mowing job so much. Does anyone ever figure in more money for stuff that's in the way?:blob3:

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
06-16-2003, 06:49 PM
I have one property that we call the swingset from hell

tiedeman
06-16-2003, 08:32 PM
lucky enough we only have one swing set problem. But last year the exhaust from the 52 hit the the rubber seat of a swing and totally melted it. I ended up replacing it for them though.

mtdman
06-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mh1314
Does anyone ever figure in more money for stuff that's in the way?:blob3:

Yes. Definitely. The more stuff to wack around and mow around that slows me down, the longer it will take and the more I charge.

:D

JJ Lawn
06-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Swing sets are a piece of cake compared to batting cages.

Jim

KenH
06-16-2003, 10:13 PM
I hate the big trampolines.

Tbarchaser
06-16-2003, 10:31 PM
For that matter any prop with kids is a pain...I like the
work-a-holic empty nester. No toys, swing sets, happy meal toys, cheap kiddie pools, bikes, scooters. Don't get me wrong, I like children but I bid higher if I see any evidence of kids.

Gr grass n Hi tides
06-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by KenH
I hate the big trampolines.

Yup. Can't get under them very easily, can't push/pull them without ripping up the ground, and they're way too big to stand on end.

C & T
06-16-2003, 11:18 PM
I've got one account that has a swing set in the backyard yet they don't have kids,nor do any kids come over to use it. It takes me about an extra 5 minutes to mow and trim, and blow it off with my back blower.

fblandscape
06-16-2003, 11:26 PM
I hate batting cages. Pain try and cut around, or in, as well as trim.

KenH
06-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
Yup. Can't get under them very easily, can't push/pull them without ripping up the ground, and they're way too big to stand on end.

I used to grab the tramp. while on the rider and drag it, until one time it felt like I was going to pull my arm out of my socket.... Now I push it with the mower....

David Haggerty
06-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Swingset, Fisher Price slide, sandbox with a billion toys, picnic table with 4 benches, basketball free throw return thingy with 7 basketballs, raised shrub beds in the lawn, and lots of ornamentals. Plus they have 3 big dogs that drag firewood into the lawn to gnaw on.

My son P&M's every time we mow there. I race to the back yard and pick everything up so he doesn't complain.

I ought to quit them. But I've had this yard since I started mowing part time in the 70's. This is a second generation of the family in this same house.
The original customers retired to Florida. I now mow for their nephew. I've raised the price but just cant seem to shake 'em.
The difficulty has about doubled on this one lawn, so the price goes up. They're OK with that.

Dave

Strawbridge Lawn
06-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Kids probably use them once a month .. EEERRRRRGGGG

battags
06-17-2003, 09:45 AM
I have to mow around one of these swingsets and a trampoline at the same house! Toys galore in their back yard.

Fortuantely, the mother has all the kids run around and pick things up before I start. I've banged my head on that swingset too many times!

Brian

http://www.therainbowtoyman.com/rainbow/rainbow-clubhouse.html

Gravely_Man
06-17-2003, 11:28 AM
I only have one swing set that I have to deal with but it is not that bad. I would not move a trampoline for anyone. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. You should definitely charge more for anything that is going to take you longer to do.

Gravely_Man

lawncare3
06-17-2003, 03:28 PM
I HATE trampolines and swingsets. One time I accidentially knocked over those cheap metal swingsets. :mad: :angry: :realmad: :realmad:

They got mad at ME for it.:mad:

geogunn
06-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I have a house on a double lot that I took on back when I got started.

they have stuff planted every 47 inches. I use a 48 inch mower.

they are having to work hard replanting to make up for my occasional "goofs".:eek:

GEO

DanG
06-17-2003, 03:43 PM
I have one house i do that has a trampoline, an above ground pool with attached deck with lattice under it and a soccer goal. It
takes me about an extra 5 minutes to trim everything.

Dan

promower
06-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I have a house with about 10-15 plants that have the little meatla fence around them. Its not worth trying to trim around them the string just gets wrapped up in it. So I usually take each one off trim then put it back on. I really hate that house but the lady is real old, is always very nice and gives me a tip with bill each month so I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

greenman
06-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I have a couple of houses with swing sets in the back yard. I took care of the trimming around it problem. I sold them a deal. I built a box out of timbers, put pea gravel or mulch in it, put the swing set in it. Now just trim around the bed(box). Easy money.

battags
06-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I was asked by a customer to build a box as well. I'm considering it for that reason alone. The problem is that they want that colored rubber chunks in the box instead of gravel, mulch, or sand. The stuff is pretty cool. Kinda like blue rubber mulch. I guess it's not cheap and they have to order it. Can't wait till that comes in! I can see chunks of rubber flying out from under my w/b now!